Should we boycott LBC?

GrumpyGit

Should we boycott LBC?

Post by GrumpyGit »

I've been listening to the London radio station LBC (the UK's first commercial radio station) since it launched in 1973 but lately they seem to have a rabid anti cycling agenda.

Whenever cycling is mentioned the airwaves are full of the usual Neanderthals ranting on about red lights, pavements and "they don't pay tax" etc. Recently I even heard cyclists blamed for the gridlock congestion in London because we get in the way of taxis!! I see buses jump reds every day but nobody mentions them.

I've even heard one presenter advocating assaulting cyclists by shoving an umbrella into the wheel spokes and another who would like to bury us all in disused tube tunnels. I won't dignify these cretins by naming them.

I don't know about you but I think I'll be off to Radio 4.
Derek - The enlightened petrolhead ;)
EdinburghFixed

Re: Should we boycott LBC?

Post by EdinburghFixed »

Well, probably a good start would be to write to the station controller stating that as they are inciting violence against a vulnerable minority, you will be listening elsewhere - you might add (whether you do so or not) that you have written to some of the advertisers you heard on their station, pointing out that they are associating themselves with incitement of violence and asking them to reconsider where they spend their ad money.

A few of those and I wager you might see some improvement.
eltonioni

Post by eltonioni »

GrumpyGit wrote: I won't dignify these cretins by naming them.

Please do.
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

GrumpyGit wrote:I won't dignify these cretins by naming them.

Please, name and shame.
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

I can not listen to them so can not boycott.
If you want to get your voice heard a complaint to the advertisers might do some good. That is unless they think their customers agree with this sort of thing.

This does highlight to me the so of bitterness in some people towards cyclists. I am now beginning to wonder what started this sort of hatred.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
meic

Post by meic »

"I've even heard one presenter advocating assaulting cyclists by shoving an umbrella into the wheel spokes".

I cant help but wonder if this was for certain cyclists doing things where, if I had an umbrella, it would get caught in their spokes too.
Like racing through packed pavements or pedestrian crossings.
Yma o Hyd
CJ

Post by CJ »

Edwards wrote:This does highlight to me the so of bitterness in some people towards cyclists. I am now beginning to wonder what started this sort of hatred.

It's since we won all the arguments. 8)

Previously cycling was a quaint irrelevance to the sedentary majority. But now that it's proven to be so beneficial in so many different ways, the notion that THEY might be expected to do it themselves cannot simply be ignored! :shock:
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Edwards wrote:This does highlight to me the so of bitterness in some people towards cyclists. I am now beginning to wonder what started this sort of hatred.

Best put by Ghandi:

Mahatma Gandhi wrote:First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Bear in mind also that the DM is the sort of newspaper that appeals to the disenfranchised in society. Self haters and underachievers that see other people actually doing something and immediately want to 'do them down' without considering for a moment that perhaps if their energies were spent in fixing their own problems rather than blaming other people for them they'd do much better.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

meic wrote:I cant help but wonder if this was for certain cyclists doing things where, if I had an umbrella, it would get caught in their spokes too.

who appointed you judge, jury (& potential) executioner, for crimes that warrant a £50 fine? :shock:
john4703

Post by john4703 »

I present a programme on community radio and I think the threat of complaining to specific advertisers will do some good. All radio stations are chasing advertising income and would hate to risk losing any income.
Don't let them win but keep up the struggle and wear them all down by our persistence.
Kirst

Post by Kirst »

There's no point boycotting anywhere unless you tell them why and what they need to do to get you back.
I can handle bars and cycle paths but I can't handle cars and psychopaths

http://action.hopenothate.org.uk/page/s/notinmyname
northstar

Post by northstar »

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win.

I like that quote too but it seems it just goes around in circles in this country, not that it bothers me that much. I'll always be cycling whatever the reaction of the minority who think they own the roads, cyclists will still be around whatever happens in the world of motor vehicles, it's just too popular in all it's forms.
Bananaman

Post by Bananaman »

I'm wondering if there's any worth in focusing the advertiser complaints on companies that advertise to our consumer group?

For example, presumably its going to be more worrying to somebody like a confectionery company that we resent the broadcasting editorial, than a washing powder company....

There's definitely a science to this....
rbrian

Post by rbrian »

If they actually incited crime on air, surely that's a crime? Report it to the police, as well as their advertisers.
Cynic? No, an optimist tempered by experience.