Driver education

MDC

Driver education

Post by MDC »

I would like to see a series of driver education programmes on the television. We have seen these before, topics have been dipping headlights, not crossing the solid white line, killing speed and of course drinking and driving. With the increase in the number of people cycling it seems appropriate to make some programmes about the problems facing cyclists and how to treat them. It could include all the favourites eg. overtaking then braking/turning left, giving space when overtaking ( I think these two are my particular sources of annoyance)
It would be great if they were funded by central government otherwise perhaps the CTC would pay, if not I would be willing to contribute to a fund set up for this purpose.
reohn2

Re: Driver education

Post by reohn2 »

I agree,cost though should IMO be met by the government(which would mean I was contributing),it could save the outlay of such a series of programs by the reduced number of people visiting A&E and sick pay as a result of RTC(C stands for collisions as they're seldom accidents).
Insurance companies could also bear some of the cost as it would surely benefit them too.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
George Riches

Post by George Riches »

Sad to say but I think I read somewhere that the evidence shows that people don't take much notice of TV safety messages when the issue is other people's safety.

Although I do think making successful completion of a cycling test a prerequisite for taking a driving test might be a good idea. So that drivers get first hand experience of how other drivers treat cyclists and how to cycle properly.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

George Riches wrote:Sad to say but I think I read somewhere that the evidence shows that people don't take much notice of TV safety messages when the issue is other people's safety.

But they couldn't say they hadn't been told when they get banned and then have to resit their test!

Although I do think making successful completion of a cycling test a prerequisite for taking a driving test might be a good idea. So that drivers get first hand experience of how other drivers treat cyclists and how to cycle properly.

Now that is a good idea but they'd never wear it,it would be seen as interfearence of the "nanny" state!
W H Auden
stoobs

Post by stoobs »

While I'd like to see some element of 2-wheel riding as part of the test, it seems to me that the practicalities (including people infirm for a number of reasons) might preclude it.

However, I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I just don't see that it would be difficult at all to include questions in the theory test, and even to require some judgment of two-wheeler awareness in the practical test. The cost would be negligible, and would also allow drivers to not hide behind "I didn't know".

Incidentally, one of my bugbears is how few people know what the rules for overtaking on double white lines are - I'd like to see more emphasis on that, too, as double whites are rarely put in place to make the road look pretty.
MDC

Post by MDC »

I emailed CTC about this. This is the response.

I would absolutely agree with you that educational TV programmes can help improve driver behaviour. Unfortunately the present government have clearly outlined their policy on road safety and marketing: the budgets for both have been slashed. Making TV programmes is very expensive: a rough estimate is about £50,000 per minute. CTC is, I’m afraid, presently unable to expend resources at that scale on such a project. We do, however, support marketing projects to promote improved driver behaviour and will continue to campaign for resources to support such measures in the future, whilst encouraging investment in the educational campaigns on the subject you suggest with the little remaining marketing budget the DfT possesses. The other way in which we feel that driver behaviour can be improved is through change to the driving test and accompanying syllabus, we have been lobbying the Department for Transport on this subject for some years.

I did not realise that TV programmes were so expensive or that changes to the driving test were also being campaigned for.
Pedestrian

Post by Pedestrian »

There's a problem in that aggressive driving is marketed on the telly every night on adverts and Top Gear etc. Adverts promoting safe driving would have less money spent on them, less air time and less interesting to motorists. The expression peeing in the wind springs to mind.

The ASA needs to stop the motoring industry from using images of dangerous driving to sell their vehicles and the BBC needs to tell Jeremy Clarkson where to go. Neither of these things will happen any time soon. Unfortunately.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Its worse than that,agressive behaviour is condoned every week on the football pitch and the premiership league is probably the worst,as it its viewed by so many of the impressionable young then probably subconsciously carry it through to everyday life.
Quite simply there is no discipline in society and no police about to stop it,worse still the sentences handed down by the courts don't fit the crimes committed,the saying "a gangsters paradise" has never been more true,and with the present government its likely to get even worse.
W H Auden
downfader

Post by downfader »

MDC wrote:I emailed CTC about this. This is the response.

I would absolutely agree with you that educational TV programmes can help improve driver behaviour. Unfortunately the present government have clearly outlined their policy on road safety and marketing: the budgets for both have been slashed. Making TV programmes is very expensive: a rough estimate is about £50,000 per minute. CTC is, I’m afraid, presently unable to expend resources at that scale on such a project. We do, however, support marketing projects to promote improved driver behaviour and will continue to campaign for resources to support such measures in the future, whilst encouraging investment in the educational campaigns on the subject you suggest with the little remaining marketing budget the DfT possesses. The other way in which we feel that driver behaviour can be improved is through change to the driving test and accompanying syllabus, we have been lobbying the Department for Transport on this subject for some years.

I did not realise that TV programmes were so expensive or that changes to the driving test were also being campaigned for.

It doesnt need to be that expensive. I have made adverts as a hobby at home: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq1x7TOvXCo Its a little tongue-in-cheek I know, but the message is clear (and inspired by an incident a mate at work had)

I say, if the CTC or anyone can find the money to get it on telly, enthusiasts can supply the ad for nothing if theres going to be a benefit. I've already said I'd be happy if anyone wanted to put that on the telly during Corination Street, LOL! Infact I think I offered it to the DfT at one point, LOL! :lol:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

downfader wrote:It doesnt need to be that expensive. I have made adverts as a hobby at home: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq1x7TOvXCo Its a little tongue-in-cheek I know, but the message is clear (and inspired by an incident a mate at work had)

I say, if the CTC or anyone can find the money to get it on telly, enthusiasts can supply the ad for nothing if theres going to be a benefit. I've already said I'd be happy if anyone wanted to put that on the telly during Corination Street, LOL! Infact I think I offered it to the DfT at one point, LOL! :lol:

I don't find that short film tongue in cheek or amateur at all in fact I'd say it and other similar films in a series is about the right mark and if played often enough would hit the target.
It doesn't need elaborate productions to get simple messages across.
I think government should have the power to demand prime air time at no cost for safety and public information on any terrestrial tv or radio station that broadcasts in the UK.
It seems to me that its another case of the tail wagging the dog,like the motor and oil industry's ability dictate to government.The people no longer run the show,multinationals have too much power over our government.
W H Auden
Nutsey

Post by Nutsey »

reohn2 wrote:Although I do think making successful completion of a cycling test a prerequisite for taking a driving test might be a good idea. So that drivers get first hand experience of how other drivers treat cyclists and how to cycle properly.

Now that is a good idea but they'd never wear it,it would be seen as interfearence of the "nanny" state![/quote]

And presumably I would have to do a driving test to ride a bike? I would just revert to getting the bus tbh
bodach

Post by bodach »

Driver education is definately needed.The other night I was doing my timekeeper stint for our local club time trial. Under 15 year olds must have a parent with them due to disclosure rules so while waiting I was chatting to the mother of one competitor whom I have known for some years.She admitted that she had little idea how to behave as a motorist when around cyclists and admitted to being sworn at by a cyclist at a roundabout as she had badly underestimated his speed.She fully accepted blame for this incident but also admitted that this concern was due to having three teenage children with bikes. She is a responsible person who admits lack of knowledge.Much worse are those who do not admit any failings and are not willing to learn. Driver education should include among other things positive instruction on how to behave around other road users.The idea of including cycling as part of the driving test is interesting but in practice I think would not have any real impact as it would certainly be done on a closed circuit in artificial surroundings.Awareness of other road users must be taught but sadly I cannot see any realistic way of achieving this.Those with more experience of this field may be able to come up with some ideas but without more government intervention sadly these would probably remain just ideas.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Nutsey wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Although I do think making successful completion of a cycling test a prerequisite for taking a driving test might be a good idea. So that drivers get first hand experience of how other drivers treat cyclists and how to cycle properly.

Now that is a good idea but they'd never wear it,it would be seen as interfearence of the "nanny" state!

And presumably I would have to do a driving test to ride a bike? I would just revert to getting the bus tbh[/quote]

I think you've got that frack to bont
W H Auden
SilverBadge

Post by SilverBadge »

A few years back there was the TV series "So you think you're a good driver" which took a tilt at various ingrained aspects of bad driving in a reasonably entertaining way, but I guess not entertaining enough or too challenging as it only lasted a series or two. Unfortunately the general public find stuff like Fifth Gear more watchable, when they do demos such as what happens when you find "your" motorway lane is "suddenly" blocked with stationary traffic and poor faultless you has to attempt a lane swerve whilst braking heavily in a 15 year old Range Rover with dodgy shock absorbers (hint - don't try this at home kids). And then there's the dreadful compilations of ancient police footage of incredibly bad driving and/or pursuit chases, which probably convinces Joe Punter he's considerably better than "average".
downfader

Post by downfader »

SilverBadge wrote:A few years back there was the TV series "So you think you're a good driver" which took a tilt at various ingrained aspects of bad driving in a reasonably entertaining way, but I guess not entertaining enough or too challenging as it only lasted a series or two. Unfortunately the general public find stuff like Fifth Gear more watchable, when they do demos such as what happens when you find "your" motorway lane is "suddenly" blocked with stationary traffic and poor faultless you has to attempt a lane swerve whilst braking heavily in a 15 year old Range Rover with dodgy shock absorbers (hint - don't try this at home kids). And then there's the dreadful compilations of ancient police footage of incredibly bad driving and/or pursuit chases, which probably convinces Joe Punter he's considerably better than "average".

Even worse, though highly entertaining to me, are the ones with foreign footage (I like the one with the Sheriff bloke narrating) where people seem to make a judgement that people in other countries must be idiots. :P