Cost of phoning CTc Head Office

Elucasr

Cost of phoning CTc Head Office

Postby Elucasr » 5 Mar 2005, 11:52am

The CTC Head office is now using a premium rate number (0870) , before you say it, there is now no national rate number. See www.saynoto0870.com for more details and the current furore over this subject ref: NHS Doctors.

The CTC relies on volunteers to do its job in campaigning, should the campaigners have to pay extra to contact Head Office.

Should they not have an ordinary line (01 or 02) for campaigners and officials to contact them.

ronh

Re:Cost of phoning CTc Head Office

Postby ronh » 11 Mar 2005, 7:26pm

Yes, I agree with this annnoying use of such numbers that only help to provide income for recipients of call. YHA are a big offender in this. Hope more will join the campaign against this and direct debit being stuffed down our throats.

troywinters

Postby troywinters » 15 Mar 2005, 1:28pm

why oh why oh why. presumeably some wiley salesperson has convinced head office to get a high rate number, psst you'll make a penny on every quid but the winners are the service providers i.e bt etc who make the massive profits.

Nigel

Postby Nigel » 16 Mar 2005, 5:49pm

I agree and posted a topic headed 0870 before reading this topic. Let us hope someone knows the proper number and posts it on saynoto0870 - perhaps someone keeps old copies of the magazine from the days before 0870?

Karen Sutton

Postby Karen Sutton » 17 Mar 2005, 10:31am

As members often ring HQ because they can't access info on the website due to website problems, it seems harsh that they be penalised again by the 0870 number. There's no way round it with CTC, but there is when phoning YHA hostels. In the handbook and on the website the numbers are given for overseas callers. Just use the same number omitting the UK code!

Ollie

Postby Ollie » 17 Mar 2005, 4:16pm

I know we cyslists have a reputation for being mean, but this sort of whinging has to take the biscuit. Last time I checked, CTC was still a not-for-profit organisation that spent more than its revenue from our subs on all sorts of projects - all of which, as far as I can tell - are for the good of cycling. I care about this club, and the future of cycling in this country, so I don't mind paying a few extra pennies on the cost of my phone calls to HQ.

Arthur

Postby Arthur » 18 Mar 2005, 9:04pm

Hello.

As a CTC Councillor I’ve made enquires about this question. Circumstances are not as CTC would want them. Were in the hands of BT and their policies.

The source of the gripe is BT as far as I can ascertain not the companies who use these numbers. CTC agrees with those posting to the item on the board. Here are the circumstances as CTC sees them.

1. It is not a premium number it is a national rate number.

2. A so called “national rate” number is the only way BT will give a portable number that can be moved around to different locations. Like many CTC has a lot of services, some from outsourced providers, that change. We have been reviewing our locations for some while and it has always been in the back of our minds that one day in the foreseeable future every CTC number might have to change.

3. CTC has two choices, use this type of service, or irritate callers whenever they find a number is no longer in use.

4. CTC agrees that it is scandalous that BT will not let other phone service providers have discounts to 0845 and 0870 numbers. This is an issue that the whole telecoms world has lodged with Ofcom, but they are letting BT get away with it. It is certainly not an issue the campaigns resource of a cycling organization can fix if the rest of the industry cannot get it resolved.

5. Registered CTC campaigners are given an expenses budget. It is limited, but it is a vital part of the service that membership fees pay for. If a rep is in hardship CTC will consider each case individually but CTC are not aware that calls by campaigners to the campaigners’ helpline were an issue. CTC are confident we would hear from reps if this is the case.

6. The matter is under constant review to see what can be done.

I’m sure that this will raise further questions; I can only say that it seems the problem is not resolvable under present circumstances.

ARTHUR

Elucasr

Postby Elucasr » 20 Mar 2005, 12:27pm

Many firms have a normal O1 or 02 number as well as the 0870 number. As mentioned before, many people have other phone service providers. I have two, 1) Tiscali 2) Skypeout.
The first one gives my normal incoming service (it can be used for outgoing as well), my normal outgoing service is via Skypeout (Computerised) which provides me with calls to a large part of the world for 2cents? or 1.4p per minute. However, when I use either services it costs much more for 0870 numbers. We have no choice with the CTC Head Office as they do not have their previous 01 number.

Nigel

Postby Nigel » 26 Mar 2005, 1:51pm

Arthur gives number obsolecence as a reason for using 0870 numbers. If this is the real reason I have a suggestion. The website could have a section which carries current geographical numbers. Similarly page 3 of the magazine could have a small section with current geographical numbers. Other organisations cope with number changes by having a message on the old number for a period which gives the new number. Why could not CTC do this if and when numbers changed?

Nigel

Postby Nigel » 21 Jun 2005, 1:35pm

Try using 01283 544669

Karen Sutton

Postby Karen Sutton » 23 Jun 2005, 10:42pm

Nigel,
Should not that area code be 01483?