Hove cycle lanes to be removed . . . .

cjchambers

Hove cycle lanes to be removed . . . .

Post by cjchambers »

I see the council in Hove are planning to remove some cycle 'facilities', an operation which will cost £1.1m! (BBC Link) Never having been there myself, I had a look on Google Maps - eg (Google Maps Link)

It seems a lot of effort has gone into creating the tracks/lanes - this isn't the typical 'can of paint' job, but I'm still not sure how I would feel about riding between the pavement and a row of parked cars. Also not sure what's going on with the parking in the middle of the road!? On the (presumably older) aerial view, you can see it used to be a two traffic lanes each way. I suspect a return to this layout, with its huge expanse of tarmac, is the main motivating factor. But from my experiences in other cities, four lane urban roads are the most hostile environments for all concerned - pedestrians, cyclists and motorists.

Would be interested to know what people think, especially if there's anyone from Hove who has used this road.
blackbike

Re: Hove cycle lanes to be removed . . . .

Post by blackbike »

Caroline Lucas, the local Green Party MP seems to be taking a low key and almost invisible approach to this matter.

I'm not surprised. Most greens don't ride bikes. They are affluent middle class types who drive cars as much if not more than the general population and are notorious for preaching, not practicing. Ms Lucas know this.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

blackbike wrote:Caroline Lucas, the local Green Party MP seems to be taking a low key and almost invisible approach to this matter.

I'm not surprised. Most greens don't ride bikes. They are affluent middle class types who drive cars as much if not more than the general population and are notorious for preaching, not practicing. Ms Lucas know this.
Ho Hum: spot the tory (or troll)?
"42"
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

cjchambers wrote:Also not sure what's going on with the parking in the middle of the road!?
Standard B&H practice for additional parking when the roads are very wide and the old(er) houses (with no garages or front gardens) are split into flats.
I've only used the lane once. After 2 (unsigned for cyclists) diversions onto the road for roadworks, I then came across a delivery van blocking the lane :evil:
IMHO, apart from the blockages (!) they're OK to ride in, but a bit too narrow for comfortable overtaking. Going downhill I'd probably use the road....
"42"
cjchambers

Post by cjchambers »

I guess Caroline Lucas is keeping out of it because it's a local council issue, not a parliamentary issue. As Squeaker's link demonstrates, the Green councillors are speaking out.

I see the local CTC are getting involved too - good good.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

A local MP keeping out of a local issue?

I thought that we had MPs representing particular localities precisely so they could get involved in local matters.

A Green Party MP keeping out of a local, enviromental/green related matter like this is not too impressive in my opinion.

As she was smart enough to get elected as a Green Party MP I suspect she is smart enough to know that cycle lanes are not a priority for her electorate despite their alleged greenness and concern for the environment.
cjchambers

Post by cjchambers »

blackbike wrote:A local MP keeping out of a local issue?

I thought that we had MPs representing particular localities precisely so they could get involved in local matters.

Yes, but our different tiers of representatives have different responsibilities. This cycle path is the responsibility of the local council, not parliament. If one went to Caroline Lucas' surgery, I've no doubt she'd quite rightly say "Have you spoken to my Green colleagues in the council?". An astounding waste of money though it is, this is hardly an issue for our national parliament.
gagagiste

Post by gagagiste »

There is a Green Party petition against the proposal at http://www.gopetition.com/petition/43063.html ,over the past few days it has collected over 2200 signatures, why not go there and sign now!
Richard Mann

Post by Richard Mann »

Maybe put the parking in the middle of the road (perpendicular in the stretch that already has central parking), and leave the kerbs where they are for the minute?

I probably wouldn't have constructed the kerbs in the first place, but no point blowing more money taking them out.

Richard
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

There is a suggestion in the latest BBC news item on this that the cycle lane is actually unsafe, a figure of 42 casualties in 3 years is mentioned. What exactly is this 42 number? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-12619602
Si

Post by Si »

The Tory-run authority has said the move is in response to local demand.

So do we think that loads of people have approached the council specifically asking for it to be removed? Or have the council put out a questionnaire asking, for example, "would you like more road/parking space in the town?" to which people have naturally answered yes, and the council are translating this into "remove the cycle lanes"?
gagagiste

Post by gagagiste »

Si, I think you have hit the nail on the head.

A very valid comment has been made by signatory 3295 D Russell (a car driving resident of The Drive) on the petition against the removal of these lanes http://www.gopetition.com/petition/43064.html

As I have said else where, if these lanes are removed, there should be "book" opened as to how long it will be before they are replaced with revenue producing parking spaces. How much revenue must be produced to cover the cost of a visit to A&E by an injured cyclist?
chrismyatt

Post by chrismyatt »

There was a survey carried out, I happened to be cycling along the section of this route from the seafront and was stopped by someone from the council who asked what I thought of the cycle lane. I cannot remember what the questions were, however I pointed out that this route seemed a bit narrow and was full of obstructions, so it seemed to be very much like the rest of the cycle routes in Brighton & Hove, badly designed and poorly laid out with lots of confusing signage. As for Caroline Lucas, of course she should listen to peoples concerns on local issues, that's the whole idea of having an MP, however she does not live locally so I suppose you can't ask too much of her as she will be busy driving backwards and forwards to Sheffield, and ranting on about the climate change myth that she is so obsessed with.
gagagiste

Post by gagagiste »

The Brighton Evening Argus reports that the proposal to remove the segregated lanes was defeated at the meeting yesterday of Brighton Council. Another proposal to freeze the cost of parking permits was also rejected. Perhaps there is hope for us yet!