HS2

Cyril Haearn

Re: HS2

Post by Cyril Haearn »

horizon wrote:More heart-wrenching news about this obscene project (a project that has nothing to do with improving people's lives but everything to do with profiting from contracts all promoted under the under the risible guise of technological improvement):

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ork-to-hs2

+2 for your signature:
*hs2: an obscenity built on greed and welcomed by the stupid*
I love railways, used to work on one but I do not want this
The same has happened in Germany, one may still travel by train through the wonderful Rhein Gorge but there is a speedygonzales line direct from Frankfurt/M to Koeln, the train goes so fast one gets dizzy trying to enjoy the landscape, there are lots of cuttings and tunnels, lots of people commute long distances. Because they can
Fewer long-distance trains use the Rhein line now, lots more freight trains run there 24/7, the noise drives the locals mad
Its the economy, economic growth, stupid! :(
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
recumbentpanda

Post by recumbentpanda »

Horizon, while I appreciate this is a topic on which there is some strength of feelings, I am and have been, prepared to debate it in a civil manner. I would ask you to consider that your signature line is inappropriate, as it is hard to engage in debate if one person is repeatedly calling anyone who has a different opinion on the desirability of Hs2 ‘stupid’.

Pretty Please.
horizon

Post by horizon »

recumbentpanda wrote:Horizon, while I appreciate this is a topic on which there is some strength of feelings, I am and have been, prepared to debate it in a civil manner. I would ask you to consider that your signature line is inappropriate, as it is hard to engage in debate if one person is repeatedly calling anyone who has a different opinion on the desirability of Hs2 ‘stupid’.

Pretty Please.

Fair point, though I'm glad it got your attention - i will amend my signature.

The stupidity I'm referring to is of those who won't gain personally from it but are impressed and excited by the new, fast and shiny without regard to its social, environmental and human consequences. This to me is a type of gross immaturity. The article I linked to tells of a man whose Elizabethan family home is to be destroyed in short order and against his will for HS2. This to my mind is obscene in a civilised country.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

When should 'progress' and development' stop?
I think the clock should be turned back, there is far too much motor traffic
Few new railways are needed but the LSWR line to Plymouth should be reopened, likewise Moat Lane to Merthyr Camford to Oxbridge &c &c

When should 'progess' & 'development' stop?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Absolutely taking neither side, but living close to the crossover point E-W line and HS2 and therefore having more than a passing interest, I've just had a virtual fly along the route. The scale is remarkable, as is the amount of tunnel being built under the Chilterns AONB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bkoGvw ... u.be&t=17m
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bonefishblues wrote:Absolutely taking neither side, but living close to the crossover point E-W line and HS2 and therefore having more than a passing interest, I've just had a virtual fly along the route. The scale is remarkable, as is the amount of tunnel being built under the Chilterns AONB.

Do you really not have an opinion, is that allowed here? :wink:
How far are you from it, how loud will it be?
Maybe those efficient Germans could help organise it, just read about a new halt, planned in 2014, should open in 2022
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Absolutely taking neither side, but living close to the crossover point E-W line and HS2 and therefore having more than a passing interest, I've just had a virtual fly along the route. The scale is remarkable, as is the amount of tunnel being built under the Chilterns AONB.

Maybe those efficient Germans could help organise it, just read about a new halt, planned in 2014, should open in 2022

Sometimes one doesn't either know enough or care sufficiently to have an opinion tbh.

About 2.5 miles as the crow does its thing but we're on the other side of a watershed so I think that may reduce the noise somewhat. E-W about the same.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Bonefishblues wrote:Sometimes one doesn't either know enough or care sufficiently to have an opinion tbh.

It could be a case of the more you know the more you care. Most of us are unaffected directly by HS2 (and there are worse things going on in the world). But for some individuals and those who know the areas involved, it is disastrous. I found out more about it on a cycle tour of Warwickshire and Oxfordshire, coming across the protest banners on the landscapes where it is proposed to pass through. Apart from the environmental damage, the reason for my anger is my belief that this is a project founded on large contracts, intense lobbying and unequally divided profits and loss. Yes, there will be a railway at the end of it and yes, some safeguards have been put in place but the money (£60bn?) could have transformed lives, buildings and landscapes in thousands of positive and life enhancing ways. But these would not have produced the corporate profits which is what this scheme is about.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

horizon wrote:It could be a case of the more you know the more you care. Most of us are unaffected directly by HS2 (and there are worse things going on in the world). But for some individuals and those who know the areas involved, it is disastrous. I found out more about it on a cycle tour of Warwickshire and Oxfordshire, coming across the protest banners on the landscapes where it is proposed to pass through. Apart from the environmental damage, the reason for my anger is my belief that this is a project founded on large contracts, intense lobbying and unequally divided profits and loss. Yes, there will be a railway at the end of it and yes, some safeguards have been put in place but the money (£60bn?) could have transformed lives, buildings and landscapes in thousands of positive and life enhancing ways. But these would not have produced the corporate profits which is what this scheme is about.

I don't doubt that for some individuals it may be disasterous, such as the gentleman you linked previously, but as someone who is living very close to the route(s) I must report very little "heat" about this as an issue.

The major concern being aired is the process of construction, and the impact it may have - such as our own village, where the E-W contractors were going to route c5-700 HGVs through each day, and most particularly around a bend they actually couldn't navigate!
(They have since accepted representations, and admitted that the route was planned without a physical survey!)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:

Sometimes one doesn't either know enough or care sufficiently to have an opinion tbh.

About 2.5 miles as the crow does its thing but we're on the other side of a watershed so I think that may reduce the noise somewhat. E-W about the same.

Having no opinion is fine (usually the biggest 'party' in elections) but seems to be rare over here, a magazine asked for opinions about free tram + bus travel, some were for, some were against, there was an option 'not formed an opinion yet' which came last with 0% :wink:
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

Was the UK independent Party the only party to oppose HS2?

http://stophs2.org/news/8316-views-parties-opposed-hs2

The Greens as well.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The formation would make a good cycle superhighway if the project is abandoned part-way
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

HS2 have now been accused of breaking their commitments to provide cycle crossings...

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... dApp_Tweet

and a Twitter thread about it https://twitter.com/Lakerlikes/status/1 ... 3571825664

:twisted: :twisted:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I wonder if HS2 won't happen due to Brexit. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:I wonder if HS2 won't happen due to Brexit. :wink:

If so,it'll being the only thing good to come out of brexit :wink: