Page 1 of 1

Bad traffic calming, what to do?

Posted: 15 Mar 2007, 1:18pm
by robbo
Cumbria C.C. have just installed a chicane on an A road near here which as far as I can see from the DOT website is way below standard (no bypass for cyclists even though there is plenty of room). Already, within a week there have been several near misses of cyclists (and motor vehicles). So what can we do? ... rd=chicane

Posted: 15 Mar 2007, 1:46pm
by Mick F
Hi Robbo, just had a shufti at your link. Sometimes Councils need shooting!

I used to be on an action group, dedicated to looking into the calming and reduction of traffic through Gunnislake Village.

We looked into 'Traffic Calming' and 'Weight Restrictions', but we were thwarted at every turn, so to speak. A Roads can't be 'calmed' or 'restricted', we were told. We were fobbed off, eventually, that there were 'plans' to downgrade the road to a Class B.

We still wait. Meanwhile the action group disbanded.

Mick F. Cornwall

Posted: 15 Mar 2007, 10:09pm
by thirdcrank

It is often very difficult to alter something which has been installed, in my experience. It is, however, possible to ensure that the people responsible experience the disappointment, frustration, anger etc., that people feel when this sort of thing occurs. tHey may then be a little more cautious in future. I am not talking about direct action, personal abuse,or nastiness but if ever you are able to point to guidelines or standards that have not been met, then letters to MPs, councillors, council officers and all the rest, pointing out that there is supposed to be a national (and almost certainly local) policy to promote cycling and that for demonstrable reasons this is not the way to do it, then they may be more careful in future.

One thing about highwaymen is that they are so used to mindless, uninformed grumbling from motorists, that they are taken aback by sustained campaigning which simply draws their attention to traffic advisory leaflets, etc., and their inability or unwillingness to comply.

Most areas have a CTC Right to Ride rep., and it is important that you consult with them so that cyclists present a consistent message.

Finally, I presume you know for certain that the county council is responsible. Trunk roads (they now have another name like strategic road network or something) are the resposibility of the Highways Agency, a quango who do more or less as they like and who usually cannot even be bothered to pay lipservice to the promotion of cycling. In my opinion.

Posted: 30 Aug 2007, 7:46pm
by robbo
The good news is it's been removed, at a reported cost of £50,000.