0870 Telephone Numbers

Nigel

0870 Telephone Numbers

Post by Nigel »

What do others think of CTC using 0870 telephone numbers – personally I think it is appalling to make money out of members contacting their own “not for profit” organisation. Many (most?) people now have telephone tariffs which offer free or discounted calls to ordinary geographical numbers. Non-geographical numbers are always excluded from these deals – see http://www.saynoto0870.co.uk/ for more info – and so calling CTC is costing members more than it need do.

If others feel as I do, then maybe someone with knowledge of CTC’s constitution could suggest how the matter could be raised with the CTC management.
Arthur

Re:0870 Telephone Numbers

Post by Arthur »

Hello.

As a CTC Councillor I’ve made enquires about this question. Circumstances are not as CTC would want them. Were in the hands of BT and their policies.

The source of the gripe is BT as far as I can ascertain not the companies who use these numbers. CTC agrees with those posting to the item on the board. Here are the circumstances as CTC sees them.

1. It is not a premium number it is a national rate number.

2. A so called “national rate” number is the only way BT will give a portable number that can be moved around to different locations. Like many CTC has a lot of services, some from outsourced providers, that change. We have been reviewing our locations for some while and it has always been in the back of our minds that one day in the foreseeable future every CTC number might have to change.

3. CTC has two choices, use this type of service, or irritate callers whenever they find a number is no longer in use.

4. CTC agrees that it is scandalous that BT will not let other phone service providers have discounts to 0845 and 0870 numbers. This is an issue that the whole telecoms world has lodged with Ofcom, but they are letting BT get away with it. It is certainly not an issue the campaigns resource of a cycling organization can fix if the rest of the industry cannot get it resolved.

5. Registered CTC campaigners are given an expenses budget. It is limited, but it is a vital part of the service that membership fees pay for. If a rep is in hardship CTC will consider each case individually but CTC are not aware that calls by campaigners to the campaigners’ helpline were an issue. CTC are confident we would hear from reps if this is the case.

6. The matter is under constant review to see what can be done.

I’m sure that this will raise further questions; I can only say that it seems the problem is not resolvable under present circumstances.

ARTHUR
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I won't bother to debate so called national rate numbers. If CTC really does not want to cause members to pay over the odds for telephone calls and is worried about numbers becoming obsolete, I suggest that a small section of the CTC website and a small part on page 3 of the magazine could publicise the current geographical numbers which members could call without financial penalty.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Try using 01283 544669
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

Nigel, should not that area code be 01483?