A place to record lenient sentencing for motorvehicle....

Bonefishblues

Re: A place to record lenient sentencing for motorvehicle....

Post by Bonefishblues »

Might it simply be that we have prisons in crisis, they are stuffed to the gunwales, demonstrably not working, costing a fortune, and the new Prisons Minister has come in, had a look and gone wt actual f. He may have even spoken to a wise head like Ken Clarke.

After all, the way that the Tories traditionally curry favour with the great unwashed is to lock even more up.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:Might it simply be that we have prisons in crisis, they are stuffed to the gunwales, demonstrably not working, costing a fortune, and the new Prisons Minister has come in, had a look and gone wt actual f. He may have even spoken to a wise head like Ken Clarke.

Which begs the question,wt actual f have they been doing for the past ten years?

After all, the way that the Tories traditionally curry favour with the great unwashed is to lock even more up.

You can't say the present bunch of incompetents are right thinking anythings :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Might it simply be that we have prisons in crisis, they are stuffed to the gunwales, demonstrably not working, costing a fortune, and the new Prisons Minister has come in, had a look and gone wt actual f. He may have even spoken to a wise head like Ken Clarke.

Which begs the question,wt actual f have they been doing for the past ten years?

You can't say the present bunch of incompetents are right thinking anythings :wink:

In answer to the former, the wrong thing (in this as many respects), in the face of much evidence to the contrary.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:In answer to the former, the wrong thing (in this as many respects), in the face of much evidence to the contrary.

Quite!
So I equate their same logic to them as I always have :)
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:In answer to the former, the wrong thing (in this as many respects), in the face of much evidence to the contrary.

Quite!

But - and a big but - in this respect, they were responding to the will of the people, to use the currently fashionable phrase. I'd rather be presented with uncomfortable truth, even if it is just that, but it isn't how politics works, is it.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Quite!

But - and a big but - in this respect, they were responding to the will of the people, to use the currently fashionable phrase. I'd rather be presented with uncomfortable truth, even if it is just that, but it isn't how politics works, is it.

Nope it sure ain't.
There's never been a more incompetent bunch of idiots running any show that I've attended :?
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

We have at least one forum member who has proposed that capital punishment should be introduced for some drivers. That might reduce the prison population.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

Oldjohnw wrote:
And now the govt want no jail for 6 months or less ... and just how weak do we see sentences for killer drivers ?.

Some of us gave been campaigning for this for years. At last government appears to be getting it.

Of course, what is needed is robust and credible community sentences. They are well known to reduce reoffending. They would, IMV, include tough bans for serious motoring offences. Killer drivers generally get longer sentences than 6 months anyway, depending on the circmstances involved.

Well community sentencing is a joke and not well funded. For me if anyone is DD it deserves a jail sentence as you are a potential murderer in that state.
thirdcrank

Here's one the judge thought was lenient

Post by thirdcrank »

Judge slams dangerous driving maximum prison sentence
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-46950932

"Your case illustrates if any further illustration was needed in these courts that the maximum sentence for the offence of dangerous driving of two years is woefully inadequate," said Judge Rose.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Sentencing the boy, presiding magistrate Penny Wood said: ‘We need to tell you that our initial thinking was to sentence you into custody. It can’t be right to drive your car and knock down two people, innocent pedestrians and kill them. ‘However, there are no charges in relation to the standard of your driving on that day. But we can begin by saying so it can be heard by anyone in the court, that we take this extremely seriously.’

Two pedestrians killed, 24-month supervision order, a £105 fine, and banned from driving for two years.
https://metro.co.uk/2019/01/30/son-weal ... e-8416176/
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

As is so often the case, much more detail in the Daily Mail.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -jail.html
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

A Nottinghamshire driver who hit a cyclist at a roundabout, causing serious life-altering injuries, has received six penalty points and a £200 fine.

https://road.cc/content/news/255259-dri ... ssion=true
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mgp

Post by Mgp »

Motorist gets off on reasonable doubt, claimed car hit him from behind pushing him into cyclist, cyclist had severe spinal injury and was made a paraplegic. Court didn’t even consider injuries to cyclist. Careless driving charge dropped Nov 18, court October 2019. Can I appeal this
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Mgp wrote:Motorist gets off on reasonable doubt, claimed car hit him from behind pushing him into cyclist, cyclist had severe spinal injury and was made a paraplegic. Court didn’t even consider injuries to cyclist. Careless driving charge dropped Nov 18, court October 2019. Can I appeal this

I would think they would have to have some evidence? But if it wasn't the fault of the person who hit you, I don't see how the court could consider the injuries. But then they should have prosecuted the person who hit him from behind.

I'm not sure about appeal. I think you need to get legal help, rather than asking on a cycling forum.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Just seen this on Pistonheads (yes, I know, I know) :lol:
Crazy
Anyone else seen this on the news today? Caught using helmet cam footage from a cyclist.

https://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk/news/crime/ru...

A police officer from that force on twitter said they send footage off to experts to calculate the speed, apparently it was a 40 page report.

https://twitter.com/northants_rpu/status/120731747...

Does anyone know exactly how they calculate it? Presumably it’s a very clever piece of computer software?