A place to record lenient sentencing for motorvehicle....

Jdsk

Re: A place to record lenient sentencing for motorvehicle....

Post by Jdsk »

Yes, certainly seem to see more from superior courts. And more from cases with greater public attention, although that could well be some sort of cognitive bias on my part.

Sentencing Remarks are particularly attractive because they're usually not that long but contain a lot of the information that's needed to counter prejudice-based reporting.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Sentencing remarks have certainly become much more detailed and important since judges have been required to explain in some detail how they have applied sentencing guidelines.

Probably not typical of the wider judiciary but I was present (white gloves duty) at Leeds Sessions when a barrister mitigating before Judge James Pickles was interrupted with "Your client is a hypocrite and will go to prison for two years." That was the max for the offence and not long afterwards it was reported as being substantially reduced on appeal.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... e-54073806
"Seria had been cycling in Edinburgh when she was knocked down by a disqualified driver in April 2009.
He was later fined £600 for dangerous driving.
"

It is not much of a deterrent for causing such lif changing injuries. Driving whilst disqualified, should that not be a custodial sentence?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Pebble wrote:Driving whilst disqualified, should that not be a custodial sentence?

I don't know. Which purpose would you hope to achieve with imprisonment?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentence_(law)#Philosophies

Jonathan
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Jdsk wrote:
Pebble wrote:Driving whilst disqualified, should that not be a custodial sentence?

I don't know. Which purpose would you hope to achieve with imprisonment?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentence_(law)#Philosophies

Jonathan

It would have a deterrent effect on other disqualified drivers continuing to drive, it may deter this individual from doing so again, and if nothing else at least while they were in prison they could no longer carry on driving. Pity it is a max 6 month sentence, I would give them 6 years.

What would you do with someone who has been disqualified from driving but continues regardless? disqualify them a bit more.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Some might soon have their wishes fulfilled. The government is looking at bringing in whole of life sentences for children and also reintroducing the ability of the Justice Secretary to interfere with sentencing.

Ok it's intended for terrorists but we know what happens with mission creep
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks.

If that report is correct the driver was convicted of dangerous driving, maximum sentence 2y imprisonment.

The Sentencing Guidelines don't seem to include being disqualified in the aggravating factors: can anyone confirm that?
https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/offences/magistrates-court/item/dangerous-driving/

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

AIUI, the offence occurred in Scotland some 11 years ago. The current sentencing guidelines for E&W are not directly applicable.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Pebble wrote:What would you do with someone who has been disqualified from driving but continues regardless? disqualify them a bit more.

I'd find out what works by experiment and then do that while studying it further.

That would include no custodial sentences shorter than six months. And some elements of restorative justice.

Compared to what seems to happen at the moment I'd consider:
* Much stronger enforcement of suspension, including technological support.
* Extended testing and psychological assessment before restoration of the privilege to drive. And review after restoration.
* Fines related to wealth/ income/etc... we have some components of that but it could be much steeper.

I don't know whether wider use of confiscation of vehicles would help.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote:AIUI, the offence occurred in Scotland some 11 years ago. The current sentencing guidelines for E&W are not directly applicable.

Thanks. Is there anything available on what actually happened?

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Jdsk wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:AIUI, the offence occurred in Scotland some 11 years ago. The current sentencing guidelines for E&W are not directly applicable.

Thanks. Is there anything available on what actually happened? ...

I've nothing more to go on than the linked report. Also, I'm always cautious about commenting on Scotland because it's without my experience. ("Without" is a word I've seen in police reports from Scottish forces where I'd have expected "outside.")
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Advance coverage by the Guardian of the imminent White Paper on sentencing:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/sep/14/motorists-who-cause-death-by-speeding-could-face-life-sentence

If that's accurate I'd expect this to have very little effect on anything except political posturing: there are plenty of offences and high enough maximum sentences available already.

More effort on prevention, detection, enforcement and research however...

Jonathan

PS:
thirdcrank wrote:("Without" is a word I've seen in police reports from Scottish forces where I'd have expected "outside.")

"There is a green hill far away... "
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Jdsk wrote:
"There is a green hill far away... "

Published 1848 I see, so even older than the incident being discussed here.
DaveGos

Post by DaveGos »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54141729

May just result in juries not convicting , who knows , to me its simple . Life ban from driving . With e bikes and public transport its not exactly that much of a hardship. if they continue to drive under a ban then a very long jail sentence.