A place to record lenient sentencing for motorvehicle....

ianrobo

Re: A place to record lenient sentencing for motorvehicle....

Post by ianrobo »

really ? natural justice ?

it is strict liability, it should be a ban but then cry about it and amazing stupid magistrates fall for it because of 'there but the grace of god defence' ....

There is NO justification to drink drive unless with a gun to your head !
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

ianrobo wrote:really ? natural justice ?

it is strict liability, it should be a ban but then cry about it and amazing stupid magistrates fall for it because of 'there but the grace of god defence' ....

If my drink is spiked without my knowledge can it really be right that I get banned for unwittingly being over the limit (as one example of a defence)?

To not allow such a defence would surely make the law look stupid, and that's unhelpful on many levels.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bonefishblues wrote:

If my drink is spiked without my knowledge can it really be right that I get banned for unwittingly being over the limit (as one example of a defence)?

To not allow such a defence would surely make the law look stupid, and that's unhelpful on many levels.

Then many drunken drivers would claim their drinks had been spiked, who bears the burden of proof beyond reasonable doubt?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Then many drunken drivers would claim their drinks had been spiked, who bears the burden of proof beyond reasonable doubt?

A soft drink spiked with alcohol .... no defence ... only those so stupid they should not be allowed to drive would fail to notice vodka in their coke or orange juice, never mind gin or scotch. Other drugs, rohipnol, etc are a different matter.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:

Then many drunken drivers would claim their drinks had been spiked, who bears the burden of proof beyond reasonable doubt?

Burden is with the person who offers the defence to establish to the Magistrates' satisfaction that that is indeed what happened.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

landsurfer wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Then many drunken drivers would claim their drinks had been spiked, who bears the burden of proof beyond reasonable doubt?

A soft drink spiked with alcohol .... no defence ... only those so stupid they should not be allowed to drive would fail to notice vodka in their coke or orange juice, never mind gin or scotch. Other drugs, rohipnol, etc are a different matter.

Of course one can spike an alcoholic drink, can't one?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:If my drink is spiked without my knowledge can it really be right that I get banned for unwittingly being over the limit (as one example of a defence)?

Burden is with the person who offers the defence to establish to the Magistrates' satisfaction that that is indeed what happened.

Which is oh so easy to do it seems :roll:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

indeed only got to look at the cases where a sob story is given and even with pro's and their excuses for being caught doping, latest one was a US sprinter got off after claiming kissing his GF who was using a banned substance ....
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:

Is it? How often is it used successfully? Are you saying that it shouldn't be available because there's a risk some may try it on?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

ianrobo wrote:indeed only got to look at the cases where a sob story is given and even with pro's and their excuses for being caught doping, latest one was a US sprinter got off after claiming kissing his GF who was using a banned substance ....

You may have to explain the relationship between this and what we're discussing because I don't see it tbh.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

Bonefishblues wrote:
ianrobo wrote:indeed only got to look at the cases where a sob story is given and even with pro's and their excuses for being caught doping, latest one was a US sprinter got off after claiming kissing his GF who was using a banned substance ....

You may have to explain the relationship between this and what we're discussing because I don't see it tbh.

excuses mate, one of these links I posted claimed was spiked OJ with Vodka, the doping one, claims kissing, both are equally BS but both enough to make people actually believe it. Do not know about you but if you had enough vodka to drink to take you over the limit you would taste it !
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

ianrobo wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:

excuses mate, one of these links I posted claimed was spiked OJ with Vodka, the doping one, claims kissing, both are equally BS but both enough to make people actually believe it. Do not know about you but if you had enough vodka to drink to take you over the limit you would taste it !

Read the case. She had had 3 large wines the previous evening. She would have had some residual alcohol in her system the next morning. It wouldn't necessarily take that much mixed in a pint of orange juice to take her over the limit again - rather exacerbated by her poor sense of smell and taste as a result of her cosmetic surgery.

Convinced 3 Magistrates who actually heard the case, but obviously not a bloke on the internet :wink:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Burden is with the person who offers the defence to establish to the Magistrates' satisfaction that that is indeed what happened.

Is it? How often is it used successfully? Are you saying that it shouldn't be available because there's a risk some may try it on?

I can't give a number of times,but there are quite few examples of drivers with loophole lawyers and sob stories driving around with so many points on their licences as to make a joke of the law.The case driving drunk claiming not knowing they'd drunk orange juice with vodka in it is a particularly laughable example if it weren't so seriously ridiculous :?
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

One man's"loophole lawyer" is another's upholder of justice I guess - like the case cited earlier of police charging an unconscious man with refusal to provide a sample. If they are so laughably incompetent then no wonder a smart lawyer is able to challenge it, as must be their right in a society that takes the Rule of Law seriously.

To be clear I think that it was a crap outcome, but let's be clear it was the police at fault.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:One man's"loophole lawyer" is another's upholder of justice I guess - like the case cited earlier of police charging an unconscious man with refusal to provide a sample. If they are so laughably incompetent then no wonder a smart lawyer is able to challenge it, as must be their right in a society that takes the Rule of Law seriously.

To be clear I think that it was a crap outcome, but let's be clear it was the police at fault.

If the unconscious suspect was so drunk asking him to take a breathtest when he woke up would surely have proved positive,so yes I agree policing standards aren't what they should be by a long shot and for more than one reason.
W H Auden