A place to record lenient sentencing for motorvehicle....

gaz

Re: A place to record lenient sentencing for motorvehicle....

Post by gaz »

The linked report is from the sentencing hearing. There was an earlier one which read very much that this was a plea bargain, whereby the guilty plea to death by careless driving meant the death by dangerous driving charge was not taken to trial.

The report suggested that the victim's family had been consulted on that decision. The prosecution were reported to have described the incident as falling just short of dangerous driving but once the deal had been done they could hardly have described it any other way.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

gaz wrote:The linked report is from the sentencing hearing. There was an earlier one which read very much that this was a plea bargain, whereby the guilty plea to death by careless driving meant the death by dangerous driving charge was not taken to trial.

The report suggested that the victim's family had been consulted on that decision. The prosecution were reported to have described the incident as falling just short of dangerous driving but once the deal had been done they could hardly have described it any other way.

How dangerous does driving have to be?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
gaz

Post by gaz »

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/ca ... y-12700740

A driver who struck and killed a 74-year-old cyclist in a "catastrophic error of judgement" after overtaking a car on a narrow country lane has been jailed.
Brinkman was handed eight months in prison, and was disqualified from driving for two years and four months.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

This makes me angry.

Hitchin man jailed for £3.5million arson to Britain's largest thatched roof in Codicote

Joshua Bozier, from Whitwell, Hitchin, was sentenced to three years and four months in jail at Cambridge Crown Court on Friday (February 24) after earlier pleading guilty.

http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/hitchin-man-jailed-for-3-5-million-arson-to-britain-s-largest-thatched-roof-in-codicote/story-30171309-detail/story.html

I'm not saying this rectal polyp shouldn't be jailed, but how is this deemed to be five times worse than that which Gaz quoted (below)?

40 months for burning a building against 8 months for ending a life and destroying a family? Both actions were merely unfortunate. The fire started by Bozier in a car unfortunately spread to the the building the car was parked by. The human being was unfortunately in the way when Brinkman committed his stupid (and lethal) manoeuvre. Why should the "accidental" fire be deemed more serious than the "accidental" killing?

And they wonder why people say our criminal justice system isn't fit for purpose!

gaz wrote:http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/driver-who-killed-cyclist-gamlingay-12700740

A driver who struck and killed a 74-year-old cyclist in a "catastrophic error of judgement" after overtaking a car on a narrow country lane has been jailed.
Brinkman was handed eight months in prison, and was disqualified from driving for two years and four months.

<odited for spellig mistokes!>
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

This item from the Yorkshire Post las November is well worth a read

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/crime/feeling-like-murder-the-killer-drivers-who-simply-walk-free-1-8250516

It's a long piece of excellent journalism. Extracts below

DOZENS of people convicted of killing by driving dangerously have walked free despite being convicted of a crime for which no-one has ever received the maximum penalty of 14 years’ imprisonment, an investigation can reveal today.

Grief-stricken families expressing disappointment outside Britain’s courts following the sentencing of motorists whose reckless behaviour has claimed at least 800 lives since 2010 have become a familiar sight as the number of deaths on roads begins to rise once more....

....Data released under the Freedom of Information Act shows:

• In the 12 years since Parliament increased the longest sentence from ten to 14 years in jail, not a single person has been handed the maximum penalty for causing death by dangerous driving in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. In Scotland, publicly available statistics indicate that sentences have also fallen short of the maximum term.

• Of the 738 people convicted between 2010 and 2015 of the offence, the most serious driving crime on the statute book, just seven - or 0.9 per cent of the total - were jailed for more than ten years.

• The average jail sentence for causing death by dangerous driving is four years and one month, with 46 per cent of all those convicted sentenced to less than four years in prison.

• A total of 111 people convicted of death of death by dangerous driving between 2006 and 2015 have walked free from court. Of that total, 93 received suspended jail terms or community service.

In ten cases, the offender escaped with only a fine while three were given an absolute discharge - effectively a finding that the experience of prosecution was sufficient punishment
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

This one is not as lenient as some. The driver will do jail time. But what if, after an argument, he had attacked a number of people with a knife and injured 5 of them, some seriously?
http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/video-shows- ... -1-5085797
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
dobbo800

Post by dobbo800 »

Good to see this nutter is off the road but the sentence is lenient, in my opinion, and he should have been banned from driving for life.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-40594704

Cheers
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

dobbo800 wrote:Good to see this nutter is off the road but the sentence is lenient, in my opinion, and he should have been banned from driving for life.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-40594704

Cheers

oh you can not ban people for life from driving it is a human right eh !!!

anger does not demonstrate what I feel about people like him and if he did that to one of my family I might end up in jail for murder, I kid you not.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Absolute discharge for killer 83-year-old driver on the wrong side of the road at more than double the speed limit possibly due to epilepsy which she had been told to inform DVLA of on multiple occasiosn but failed to do so.

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey- ... r-13730261
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Small fine and 6 points, no ban for driver putting Royal Marine into intensive care :twisted:
Judge stating Momentary lapse blah blah blah
http://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-new ... ife-642719
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

thelawnet wrote:Absolute discharge for killer 83-year-old driver on the wrong side of the road at more than double the speed limit possibly due to epilepsy which she had been told to inform DVLA of on multiple occasiosn but failed to do so.

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey- ... r-13730261

We had a case locally where someone was told never to drive again because of eyesight, he did, he ran a red light killed a young girl. In the end he got 4 years jail, thats all.

Fuming ...
TwoPosts

Post by TwoPosts »

From the Southern Daily Echo

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/15787291.Motorist_who_caused_death_of_cyclist_is_spared_prison/?ref=mr&lp=18

in summary...

Driver drove through a giveway at a crossroads at 37 mph and killed a cyclist, was tried for causing death by dangerous driving, found not guilty but then admitted to causing death by careless driving and was sentenced accordingly.

Driver was handed an eight-month prison sentence, suspended for two years, and banned from driving for three years. Driver was also told to complete 250 hours of unpaid work and pay prosecution costs of £1,500
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I note this in the press report:

The accident happened at Ipley Crossroads in the New Forest - scene of several serious crashes in recent years.

The court heard that the crossroads had since been made safer, with "Stop" signs replacing the "Give Way" markings.

Who knows whether it would have made a difference in this case, but why hadn't it been done already? (That's a rhetorical question, BTW, as we all know why, sadly)
Graham

Post by Graham »

Highways Authorities only spend money on safety interventions when there is "blood on the streets".

i.e. User perceptions of high danger count for nothing. HA's want to count the KSIs.

( I suspect I am paraphrasing John Adams [again]. )

EDIT : Ooops, sorry - I've just read the declaration of " a rhetorical question" . . . .
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Graham wrote:Highways Authorities only spend money on safety interventions when there is "blood on the streets".

i.e. User perceptions of high danger count for nothing. HA's want to count the KSIs.

( I suspect I am paraphrasing John Adams [again]. )

EDIT : Ooops, sorry - I've just read the declaration of " a rhetorical question" . . . .

No worries (I think you meant "sufficient blood on the streets" :( )