Intersting blog about cycle parking at Tesco

Vorpal

Intersting blog about cycle parking at Tesco

Post by Vorpal »

“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Re: Intersting blog about cycle parking at Tesco

Post by reohn2 »

The comment by Gerhard says it al IMO.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

For those who can't be bovvered to click the link, let me highlight this:

"The market price of an hour spent travelling in a taxi is £45, but the price of an hour spent travelling by bicycle is just £17, because cyclists tend to be poorer than taxi passengers"

http://www.dft.gov.uk/webtag/documents/ ... t3.5.6.php

This is based on 1990 data showing cyclists to be poorer than average whereas they are in fact now richer than average.
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

thelawnet wrote:For those who can't be bovvered to click the link, let me highlight this:

"The market price of an hour spent travelling in a taxi is £45, but the price of an hour spent travelling by bicycle is just £17, because cyclists tend to be poorer than taxi passengers"

This is based on 1990 data showing cyclists to be poorer than average whereas they are in fact now richer than average.

I would have thunk that was proof that cyclists always were richer than average (in more ways than one) cos we ain't stupid enough to spend £45 an hour just getting somewhere. 8)
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Guy951 wrote:
thelawnet wrote:For those who can't be bovvered to click the link, let me highlight this:

I would have thunk that was proof that cyclists always were richer than average (in more ways than one) cos we ain't stupid enough to spend £45 an hour just getting somewhere. 8)

£45/hour is the presumed lost income due to having to sit in a taxi (don't taxis have wifi and such like now anyway???), not the cost of the taxi itself.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

thelawnet wrote:
Guy951 wrote:

£45/hour is the presumed lost income due to having to sit in a taxi (don't taxis have wifi and such like now anyway???), not the cost of the taxi itself.

It can't be lost income. £45 per hour is £93,000 per year. There wouldn't be many taxis on the road if they catered only for those on that wage. And if someone is willing to pay me £17 per hour to ride my bike I'll give up my job to do it. Now my mortgage is paid off I don't need a lot to live on.

My Tesco/cycling related fact is that I'm banned from Tesco's in Baguley because I refuse to take off my bike helmet. I'm allowed in every other shop in the land including all the other Tesco's I've ever wanted to shop at while wearing my bike helmet.
dave holladay

Post by dave holladay »

The TRL study many years ago, backed up by CTC member surveys notes that Cyclists are generally in higher income groups, and for those who can give up car ownership we tend to boost household income by around 20% (Mr Osborne tak tent - an easy way to increase the resource of disposable income is to deliver a real give up your car ownership scheme - and boost car hire options)

From an EC review on cycling - and retail - per sq m of non revenue space that a supermarket provides for parking cyclists buy around 20% more the those shopping by car, they also visit more frequently and unlike the 75% of drivers who but a small shopping quantity that they could easily carry on foot, 17% of cyclists buy a substantial amount more that can be carried on foot.

I tend to avoid using any business that doesn't accommodate me and my bike, so rarely visit Tesco stores I did visit the Crewe store - now demolished - at 23.00 one night to get provisions for the overnight train. I wheeled the bike around the deserted store (plenty of space) and was paying when the only person who had a problem with this came puffing up and said I could not come in with my bike. Too late mate - only here under sufference anyway as you are the only place open at this time.
broadway

Post by broadway »

blackbike wrote:It can't be lost income. £45 per hour is £93,000 per year. There wouldn't be many taxis on the road if they catered only for those on that wage. And if someone is willing to pay me £17 per hour to ride my bike I'll give up my job to do it. Now my mortgage is paid off I don't need a lot to live on.

Employment cost is not your hourly rate, annual holidays, bank holidays, sick leave, pension, NI all have to be factored in. Then there are the overheads in employing you at your place of work, it can easily double or triple your hourly rate.
FatBat

Post by FatBat »

Having spent far too long reading the Dft Guidance, I can offer some assistance. The values quoted refer to journeys undertaken whilst at work - i.e. journeys made as part of your job - trips to meetings, making deliveries, going to meet clients, etc. The values are are the costs to the economy of having someone travelling instead of doing the job they getting paid to do. The research probably found that people using cycles as part of their job were generally paid less than those using taxis.

For journeys made in your own time, all modes are treated equally (sort of).
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Ok, I geddit now. "Interesting blog about cycle parking at Tesco" is an oxymoron :lol:

Graham, wot can be slow on the uptake sometimes :oops:
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

broadway wrote:
blackbike wrote:It can't be lost income. £45 per hour is £93,000 per year. There wouldn't be many taxis on the road if they catered only for those on that wage. And if someone is willing to pay me £17 per hour to ride my bike I'll give up my job to do it. Now my mortgage is paid off I don't need a lot to live on.

Employment cost is not your hourly rate, annual holidays, bank holidays, sick leave, pension, NI all have to be factored in. Then there are the overheads in employing you at your place of work, it can easily double or triple your hourly rate.

And it is price, not cost, so the profit an employee helps a company generate is also factored in. My old company charged customers over £900 a day for my services when I was in a consultancy role a few years ago. My gross salary was a good deal less than a third of that at the time.
Nettled Shin

Post by Nettled Shin »

Bit late to this thread, but I've seen someone actually pushing his bike along the aisles of a 24hr Tesco (it was late at night, so quiet). I wished to myself that I would be that brave, as it would save a lot of time. If I did it at a supermarket where self-scanning is in operation, I could just throw items in my panniers, pay, and cycle off.
Since wheelchairs and trolleys are permitted, why not bicycles? Do any people here actually take their bikes into the supermarket?
Last edited by Nettled Shin on 3 Aug 2011, 10:11am, edited 1 time in total.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I've done so a couple of times when I forgot my lock.

I make a habit of taking my bike around with me when cycle parking is inadequate. There are a couple of retail estates that I visit occasionaly. Neither has *any* cycle parking, and a poor selection of fences, posts and the like. So I take my bike in with me. I have only been challenged once. When I asked where the cycle parking was, I got some hmming and umming followed by the invisibility of my bicycle.
Last edited by Vorpal on 2 Aug 2011, 9:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I should perhaps add that when I lived in the US, I made a habit of taking my bicycle into shops with me. Cycle parking is much harder to come by over there, and it was a statement that needed making. So I'm not shy at all about showing off my bicycle in the shops. I just don't do it unneccessarily. 8)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Retail park around here has no cycle parking (sorry - there are a couple of stands by halfords at one end) so I've often popped my trike just inside the door of an establishment while I shop there...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.