Should I knock this ignorant cyclist off his bike

sore thumb

Post by sore thumb »

By Paul Nero, managing director of Exeter FM.

SO I'm driving through the ridiculous 20 mile-an-hour system that's been designed to stop people going to Topsham when there's a decision to make. Should I knock this ignorant cyclist off his bike, blast my horn so that he is in no doubt about my displeasure, or slow down further so that the tailback that's built up between the rugby ground and the roundabout becomes longer still?

As a responsible citizen I slow down. I fume. And I add fumes. Slow-moving traffic wastes fuel and adds to carbon emissions. Idiots who ignore cycle paths should appreciate that future generations of children will drown as global warming wipes out Lympstone. And it's their fault.

Cyclists who use the roads when we've just spent millions of pounds the country can ill afford on a network of cycle paths, are as selfish as they are stupid. Especially ones in Lycra. And especially the ones without lights or light clothing. How many of those do you see on the roads – but not on the cycle paths – these dark days? And how many do you not see until it's almost too late?

Last month, my Exeter FM colleague Mark Tyler wrote gaily about his plans to get on his bike. Much as I applauded the idea, I worried. When the occasion warrants, Mark is a sensible chap. But there's something about a man on a bike that turns their minds to mush. In his Echo column, in common with many others who have been anticipating safe passage between Topsham and Clyst St George, there he was dreaming of the trips he would make over the new wooden structure by the Bridge Inn. The fool. Now the bridge is open, of course, the alarming reality is that many cyclists continue to hog the windy, narrow road over the old bridge. Why is it the selfish few continue to slow traffic?

Three years ago, taxpayers spent about £3 million on part of the Exe Estuary Cycle trail between Exmouth and Topsham. "Money well spent," bicycling Ben Bradshaw MP told us at the time. And indeed the path is a major asset alongside our wondrous area of outstanding natural beauty. But what do our Lycra-clad friends tell us as they continue to torture themselves on the main Exeter-to-Exmouth road? That no serious cyclist will use a cycle path.

So if you've bought someone a bicycle this Christmas, ask them to use the facilities that have been expensively put in place, not just on their behalf, but on behalf of all road users, and keep us all safe and sane in 2012.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

See the article here.

http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/riders-re ... story.html

I feel this part is the most offensive "Should I knock this ignorant cyclist off his bike" so he is deciding whether or not to kill or seriously injure someone just because they are riding a bike.

I have never had this thought process when driving my car, should I kill or seriously injure someone just because I feel they are ignorant. Why kill or seriously injure someone, well if I decide to knock someone off there bike by using my car then the cyclist will most likely loose there life or be seriously injured.

thoughts?
reohn2

Re: Should I knock this ignorant cyclist off his bike

Post by reohn2 »

......But there's something about a man on a bike that turns their minds to mush.......

Which could read "theres something about a journalist's mind that is so much mush"
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Why can't motorists stick to motorways? We spend squillions of pounds building them, and these ignorant selfish stupid people in cars insist on ignoring them and driving round on 20mph streets. We should throw bricks at them until they stop.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Just in case anyone is still in any doubt exactly who the farcilities are intended to help...

Paul Nero wrote:... ask them to use the facilities that have been expensively put in place, not just on their behalf, but on behalf of all road users
Nettled Shin

Post by Nettled Shin »

Is he a shock jock or a journalist? Either way, it seems he can't think of anything interesting to say, so has decided to be controversial. A bit like Parris when he had writer's block.

Perhaps we're doing the wrong thing by giving him publicity? He might end up being interviewed on the One Show, or Today?
Phil_Lee

Post by Phil_Lee »

snibgo wrote:Why can't motorists stick to motorways? We spend squillions of pounds building them, and these ignorant selfish stupid people in cars insist on ignoring them and driving round on 20mph streets. We should throw bricks at them until they stop.

That was so good I created an account to post it in the comments on the site :)
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

In the end we are all just people trying to get around.
Michael R

Post by Michael R »

How do I get to my nearest cyclepath without cycling there?
Mawsley

Post by Mawsley »

I don't remember asking anyone for a cycle path.
To the end of the road - My JOGLE '12 blog
Self financed and raising money for Children In Need with Just Giving
@2TheEndOTheRoad
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mawsley wrote:I don't remember asking anyone for a cycle path.

They've been put there on our behalf by them wot knows better thun uz.
Last edited by reohn2 on 7 Jan 2012, 10:06am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
cjchambers

Post by cjchambers »

What a chump. Just have a look at the old bridge he's complaining about being held up on. Look, just look at it! Google Street View

Gosh, following a cyclist across there would probably add entire seconds to his journey! Maybe he could just relax and enjoy the natural beauty of the River Clyst? (That pub looks like a lovely spot for a pint on a summer afternoon, doesn't it?)
horizon

Post by horizon »

But what do our Lycra-clad friends tell us as they continue to torture themselves on the main Exeter-to-Exmouth road? That no serious cyclist will use a cycle path.

Quite right too, I say.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

By any measure you might choose Exeter FM seems to be a an insignificant media outlet. eg

http://www.rajar.co.uk/listening/quarte ... tening.php

Scroll down to: a small population, a low listnership within that population, with a short period of listening for each listener. The answer - a bit of controversy. Thinks :? How do the big misters do it :?: :?: :idea: :idea: I'll suggest knocking a cyclist of his bike - it seems to work for Clarkson. :!: (Goes off and keeps fingers crossed hoping somebody - preferably 2 or 3 complain to a toothless watchdog. :roll: )
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

If only the police would raft to a clearly minorityist article.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.