New Epetition

Phil_Lee

New Epetition

Post by Phil_Lee »

Cassie's Law

Responsible department: Department for Transport

We would like to call on the Government to change the law so that the police have the power to temporarily suspend the driving licences of motorists whom they feel are unfit to drive. If this law was in place it would mean that my friend would be alive today. Details of the incident are on the following link, please support this cause! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... l-car.html Thank you!

Non-DM report is on the BBC

Click on the "Cassie's Law" link to sign the epetition

I see this as a sensible and logical extension of the powers the police already have under s59 of the Police Reform Act, which already allows seizure of vehicles under certain circumstances. It would just extend that to licences.
Potentially a valuable tool in the road safety armoury, and would benefit all legal and sensible road users, particularly more vulnerable ones.
flat tyre

Re: New Epetition

Post by flat tyre »

Whilst I have sympathy for all involved here, I'm just wondering how the police are supposed to know that he was unfit to drive, as presumably he was perfectly OK until he had his heart attack?
Phil_Lee

Post by Phil_Lee »

No - he'd been eye-tested by the police and "advised" not to drive.
The process was under way (the police had faxed a report to DVLA) for his licence to be revoked.
But he deliberately chose to ignore police advice and drive anyway.
If the police had been able to take his licence immediately after his first crash - when they'd found he was unfit to drive - the second, fatal, crash wouldn't have happened, and neither the driver or his innocent victim would have been killed.
Regulator

Post by Regulator »

Phil_Lee wrote:No - he'd been eye-tested by the police and "advised" not to drive.
The process was under way (the police had faxed a report to DVLA) for his licence to be revoked.
But he deliberately chose to ignore police advice and drive anyway.
If the police had been able to take his licence immediately after his first crash - when they'd found he was unfit to drive - the second, fatal, crash wouldn't have happened, and neither the driver or his innocent victim would have been killed.

Where did you get that information from?

The police have no ability to test someone's eye sight. Nor do they have the ability to ask DVLA to revoke his license - except when an order has been given by a court.

Whilst I have sympathy for the circumstances and the family, I don't really want the police to have the ability to determine matter relating to someone's health - that isn't their area of expertise.

That said, it should be made far easier for GPs, consultants etc. to report patients - and for the DVLA to revole licenses on the basis of medical information. The current system is labarynthine...
scottmac

Post by scottmac »

If you collect 100,000 signatures, your e-petition could be debated in the House of Commons

If your e-petition reaches more than 100,000 signatures, it will be sent to the House of Commons. The Office of the Leader of the House of Commons will check it against:

the terms and conditions for e-petitions
the rules of the House of Commons
:roll:

We (cyclists) need to get off our backsides and put pressure on parliament to change the law for driving a vehicle irresponsibly.

My heart goes out to anyone who has had a relative involved in a fatality, but unfortunately, these Epetitions are a bad joke.