Petition to increase safety in Blidworth. father hit by car

johncharles

Re: Petition to increase safety in Blidworth. father hit by

Post by johncharles »

CJ, I do understand and acknowledge your point ofview but to suggest that all roads that all types of road users use should have a 40 mph speed limit is in my opinion rubbish and totally unneccessary.
Where did I say that I didn't have a problem, I just said that I thought that your suggestion that there is a hard core of thick skinned cyclists over represented in the nation was an arrogant suggestion.

Big T. I don't think that there is a higher proportion of aggresive driving and boy racer types in the North Notts ex mining villages that you mention than anywhere else.

I live in rural Leicestershire but visit this part of Nottinghamshire area every weekend to see family. I was born and bred in one of those ex mining villages and the driving there is no worse than I see in the country lanes near where I live now. and in any other parts of the country.
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

So just to be clear: you think it is quite civilized and reasonable for cyclists to have vehicles bearing down on them at 60mph?
karlt

Post by karlt »

The flip side of "40mph limits on roads we're expected to share" is "cyclists banned from roads with a >40mph speed limit".

Given that on my ride today I had plenty of traffic passing me at 60mph and it gave me no problems whatsoever, that's not a package I'd particularly welcome. No-one's going to build a parallel cycle track along the Sheffield-Hathersage road over the Toad's Mouth, and they're not going to make it 40mph either; if they did it'd be even more ignored than the 40 on Bochum Parkway, and that's saying something. I don't want to be therefore banned from it.
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Its certainly true that people differ greatly in their tolerance to traffic. Myself, I dislike the noise of the tyres on the road (like sellotape being pulled off the roll!) and really hate having to breathe the pollution, especially from all those filthy carcinogenic diesels.

The faster they go, the worse these two factors become, so I also regard anyone unbothered by cars passing at 60+ MPH to be extremely thick skinned. I did an 80 mile round trip on saturday across Salisbury Plain, partly on A roads, and was unplesantly surprised just how dirty modern cars still are at speed :cry:

From personal observation I can report things are considerably more civillised on the continent. What a shame this country has to be so backward.

Bring on a nice big fuel price rise I say, its one of the few thing which gets the numptys to slow down.
richardjryan

Post by richardjryan »

Signed

Hope your Dad has a speedy recovery Rachel
johncharles

Post by johncharles »

Mark R wrote:So just to be clear: you think it is quite civilized and reasonable for cyclists to have vehicles bearing down on them at 60mph?

Did I say that, no, I don't think so.
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Hmm, so why speak out against dropping the speed limit to a more civillised level on a narrow twisting road that provides a useful route for cyclists?