Cycling campaigners attack European Commission report

anothereye

Cycling campaigners attack European Commission report

Postby anothereye » 15 Jun 2012, 1:17pm

The family of a cyclist who was killed by a lorry in London have seen their campaign to improve cycling safety halted by the European Commission. Eilidh Cairns was knocked over in Notting Hill Gate in 2009 during rush hour. She was taken to the Royal London Hospital but died....
Last year, Eilidh's family won the backing of the European Parliament for a Written Declaration on their scheme. However, the European Commission has now issued its response which has not impressed the campaigners. The Commission says the risks of HGV blind spots cause to cyclists "still needs to be better assessed." It has decided more accident investigation is needed before the law can be changed and HGV firms are made to spend money fitting the devices. But Eilidh's sister Kate accused the Commission of being complacent.

http://www.itv.com/news/london/2012-06- ... on-report/

anothereye

Re: Cycling campaigners attack European Commission report

Postby anothereye » 15 Jun 2012, 1:19pm

hexhome

Postby hexhome » 16 Jun 2012, 8:02pm

I am also sceptical about the value of 'blind spot' devices. This is on the basis that whilst blind spots exist in all vehicles, they are mostly eliminated by better attention to the road and the simple movement of the head. I worry that this is seen as a panacea for inattentive drivers.

I note however that the Commissions reply is that they would prefer driver training to be a priority - 'The Commission also says there other ways of preventing blind-spot accidents by improving road infrastructure and giving better training to HGV drivers.'

I have been actively campaigning for a module to include vunerable road users to be made a compulsory component of the 'Driver CPC'. The response from Mike Penning and from the Commission has been to refuse to look at making such a module compulsory.

I feel that this double standard is inexcusable. I urge all of you to write to your MPs and MEPs asking why this step suggested by the Commission is not to be made law? This is extremely easy to do via this website - http://www.writetothem.com/

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 18 Jun 2012, 11:17am

I'm sure that junction changes would be harder and more expensive than extra mirrors. Although there would be a nice business opportunity in Dover/Felixstowe of fitting such devices to lorries as they arrive...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

pwward

Postby pwward » 18 Jun 2012, 6:35pm

Kate and her mum came to speak to the Newcastle Cycle Campaign about this. I was impressed by their approach. They have clearly researched it well and are using good evidence based arguments, not emotional ones.

There are genuine blind spots on lorries. This problem will not be cured by driver education and drivers paying more attention. Other types of cyclist deaths maybe. The sensors would be cheep to fit to new lorries and within a decade or so almost all would have them. No ones going to make a mint at Felixstowe, the proposal is for it to be an EU law, not just Britain.

The real problem here is cyclists lacking political clout, not lack of evidence.

Claireysmurf

Postby Claireysmurf » 18 Jun 2012, 7:13pm

I appreciate that cameras and sensors are a sensible way ahead for lorries but I believe that the fact remains that they are unsafe by design. Lorries seem to have become much taller of cab and forward vision especially has suffered. Allied to their huge growth over the years...
Thoughts with the family. I hope they achieve something worthwhile