Andrew Mitchell MP

Ant
Posts: 275
Joined: 13 Feb 2007, 2:05pm

Re: Andrew Mitchell MP

Postby Ant » 30 Apr 2013, 9:45am

Yeah, £3k was my absolute max for that!

thirdcrank
Posts: 28684
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: Andrew Mitchell MP

Postby thirdcrank » 3 May 2013, 7:34pm


Cycloloco
Posts: 11
Joined: 11 Dec 2011, 1:50am

Re: Andrew Mitchell MP

Postby Cycloloco » 5 May 2013, 1:03am

Andrew Mitchell's new bike is a Ridgeback Comet. His old bike had a wicker basket supported from the front axle but his new one has a steel mesh basket on a steel support which rotates round the head tube. More importantly, his new bike has quick release fittings on both wheels and he has a habit of locking his bike to railings with a short D-lock round the top tube. I thus feel fairly confident in saying that he won't be using this bike for long before local thieves (inner London) remove his wheels.

Edwards
Posts: 5978
Joined: 16 Mar 2007, 10:09pm
Location: Birmingham

Re: Andrew Mitchell MP

Postby Edwards » 5 May 2013, 9:21am

He used to have armed Police to guard the old bike. Now he is like the rest of us Plebs and having to use a lock. :lol: :wink:
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar

thirdcrank
Posts: 28684
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: Andrew Mitchell MP

Postby thirdcrank » 19 Sep 2013, 12:54pm

I see from the media that it's time to be singing "Happy Birthday."

Since a couple of worthies have mentioned in the media that this is tending to drag for the chief patrician, I'll add that the various people who have been arrested and bailed and who are innocent until proven guilty etc., must be finding that it's dragging on.

For the rest of us, doesn't time fly? All except for Julian A of course, who doesn't seem to merit much media attention these days.

skidd
Posts: 83
Joined: 12 Jul 2010, 2:18am

Re: Andrew Mitchell MP

Postby skidd » 16 Oct 2013, 8:56am

I look back at my posts on this thread with a certain degree of pride (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24545855). The bigger picture with relevance to cyclists is that there are posts from people throughout this thread and many others (eg the head letter on this thread) which act against cyclist's long term interests. I am not saying we should defend cyclists interests in themselves, no rational person would expect us to mount a campaign to allow cyclists to ride the wrong way down motorways delivering bombs to nursery schools, but there are a disturbingly significant amount of members/cyclists/perfectly nice people who act as apologists for the perfectly dreadful and entirely immoral attitudes that cyclists suffer day in and day out. If it is safe (and it can be) we should shoot red lights. If it is safe and non-threatening to pedestrians(and it can be) we should ride on pavements. If we endorse helmet wearing we should do it in the car and when out walking if we wish to remain fair and consistent.

Being neutral about something is not taking the mid-point between two arguments any more than being neutral for a liquid is the mid point between water and hydrochloric acid. And being neutral for moderators is not ripping out both sides of a thread 'argument' when one is considered, fair, logical and accurate and the other is evasive, insulting, dismissive, personal, off topic and/or, in the long term, contrary to general welfare.

And being neutral is not ignoring the bad guys and hoping they will go away.

pete75
Posts: 12022
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Andrew Mitchell MP

Postby pete75 » 17 Oct 2013, 2:56pm

If police officers are not afraid to "fit up" one of the highest in the land what hope is there for the rest of us?

AlaninWales
Posts: 1542
Joined: 26 Oct 2012, 1:47pm

Re: Andrew Mitchell MP

Postby AlaninWales » 17 Oct 2013, 3:03pm

pete75 wrote:If police officers are not afraid to "fit up" one of the highest in the land what hope is there for the rest of us?

If the highest in the land see fit to lie even about police officers, what hope is there for the rest of us?

pete75
Posts: 12022
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Andrew Mitchell MP

Postby pete75 » 17 Oct 2013, 4:16pm

AlaninWales wrote:
pete75 wrote:If police officers are not afraid to "fit up" one of the highest in the land what hope is there for the rest of us?

If the highest in the land see fit to lie even about police officers, what hope is there for the rest of us?


But he wasn't lying was he - it was the police who lied.

AlaninWales
Posts: 1542
Joined: 26 Oct 2012, 1:47pm

Re: Andrew Mitchell MP

Postby AlaninWales » 17 Oct 2013, 4:17pm

pete75 wrote:
AlaninWales wrote:
pete75 wrote:If police officers are not afraid to "fit up" one of the highest in the land what hope is there for the rest of us?

If the highest in the land see fit to lie even about police officers, what hope is there for the rest of us?


But he wasn't lying was he - it was the police who lied.

According to who's word?

pete75
Posts: 12022
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Andrew Mitchell MP

Postby pete75 » 17 Oct 2013, 4:21pm

AlaninWales wrote:
pete75 wrote:
AlaninWales wrote:If the highest in the land see fit to lie even about police officers, what hope is there for the rest of us?


But he wasn't lying was he - it was the police who lied.

According to who's word?


According to CCTV and voice recordings.

AlaninWales
Posts: 1542
Joined: 26 Oct 2012, 1:47pm

Re: Andrew Mitchell MP

Postby AlaninWales » 17 Oct 2013, 4:36pm

pete75 wrote:
AlaninWales wrote:
pete75 wrote:But he wasn't lying was he - it was the police who lied.

According to who's word?


According to CCTV and voice recordings.

Which of course record clearly every word spoken at all times, on a public street. The word 'Pleb' never occurring on the recordings is definitive proof tat it was not used.


Errr. yes of course :roll:

pete75
Posts: 12022
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Andrew Mitchell MP

Postby pete75 » 17 Oct 2013, 5:01pm

AlaninWales wrote:
pete75 wrote:
AlaninWales wrote:According to who's word?


According to CCTV and voice recordings.

Which of course record clearly every word spoken at all times, on a public street. The word 'Pleb' never occurring on the recordings is definitive proof tat it was not used.


Errr. yes of course :roll:


It's not just that it's the west midlands police federation representatives lying about what was said at a meeting with Mitchell. It's the police officer lying that he was a member of the public who witnessed the incident and heard what was said.

Don't get me wrong I'm no friend of the Tories and thought Mitchell was completely in the wrong when this affair started. With all the evidence now in the public domain it's become obvious that Mitchell has been "stitched up".

AlaninWales
Posts: 1542
Joined: 26 Oct 2012, 1:47pm

Re: Andrew Mitchell MP

Postby AlaninWales » 17 Oct 2013, 5:25pm

pete75 wrote:It's not just that it's the west midlands police federation representatives lying about what was said at a meeting with Mitchell. It's the police officer lying that he was a member of the public who witnessed the incident and heard what was said.

Don't get me wrong I'm no friend of the Tories and thought Mitchell was completely in the wrong when this affair started. With all the evidence now in the public domain it's become obvious that Mitchell has been "stitched up".

We have a profession who make their living by lying, we have a couple of working stiffs the professional admits "getting angry" with but he "did not use the word pleb".

Some others rallied to their defence rather clumsily and obviously not be in the way of practiced liars; it all fairly easily fell apart.

Mitchell and his cronies now claim this proves he was innocent all along. Frankly given the type, I don't believe him. I certainly don't believe that this was 'a stitch up' which would mean some kind of premeditation, ulterior motive (the only motive they have as far as I can tell, is his insulting them) and broad collaboration.

My opinion (which is worth little) is that he probably did call them plebs or something very like it, he probably did try to use his political 'rank' where it does not belong. They outed him and then realising that it would go nowhere without 'witnesses' another rather daftly pretended to be one. Neither conspiracy nor stitch up.

pete75
Posts: 12022
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Andrew Mitchell MP

Postby pete75 » 17 Oct 2013, 5:29pm

You have a point I suppose - politicians and police officers accusing each other of lying - the old saying about pots and kettles comes to mind.