Unclassified Road Speed limits

gar

Unclassified Road Speed limits

Post by gar »

Viewing the Met polic report other thread,
I would also ask you all to reconsider the
proposition to limit the speed of traffic to 20mph/30kph on C/D/ unclassified roads
throughout the Uk.

The Purbeck cycle way/sustrans prov route2, for example is on a C road. Motorists ignorant
of its heavy use for cyclists go along it quite legitimately at 50mph..

There have been two serious head on collisons in this area within 500metres of my own home
in the last three years of motorists driving round blind corners on single track C/D roads at that speed. Impact 25+30=55mph= SERIOUS INJURIES

Some people have to be told.

A parliamentary private members bill would do it,
but who would the private member be???

Gar
mas051

Re:Unclassified Road Speed limits

Post by mas051 »

In addition to being an avuid countryside cyclist I also marshal and compete in entery level motor sport, namely Road rallies, which occur at night in the winter on open public roads. The cars have a schedule to keep to which means average speeds of 30 mph (penalties are greater for early arrival than late) but what you suggest would destroy this activity.

However I agree that 30 mph round blind bends on single track roads is stupid. We run at night because then oncomming headlights give you more warning and less cyclists will be out at 8pm in the winter. Small events run 8-10 and lagre ones 12 midnight - 6am

matthew
gar

Post by gar »

Thanks for that Matthew; interesting comment.
I often think that night cycling has its consolations in that respect. you know what is coming from the lights round the corner whereas daytime noise is not so obvious.

The sport you mention would need an exemption clause in a private members bill, that I suggest.
These Bills are arranged by allocation from the speakers office. I am not quite sure but it is fairly done! The member has his choice of bill to submit at fairly short notice and I wonder whether CTC keeps its eyes on this lot drawing to see if there are any keen cycling members among them. In there quickly to plead for our
bills to be put forward.

The transport select committee is the place to discuss such matters I suppose, and they are usually thorough sedentary people.

Good health to you,

Gar
Hoopdriver

Post by Hoopdriver »

So a 30mph speed limit for country lanes would destroy the activity of road rallies. So what?

As I understand it, the only reason pedestrians, horses and cyclists are not routinely slaughtered by this "activity" is that it takes place when there aren't many people about - an alarming thought for any poor cyclist who does happen to be on the move late at night in the winter!

And in any case, isn't oil becoming a bit too precious and the products of its combustion a bit too troublsome, for us to let it be burnt merely for entertainment?
gar

Post by gar »

Road rallies would have exemption with notice given of it in local papers and fly posts: they do that anyway.

Quite a few accidents happen on these roads at night due to swerving away from animals.

I have heard of a number of serious injuries and one or two deaths from hitting deer at night, which are the largest wildies, so one contributors comment about lights being better than mere day time sound, is not neessarily a wise comment.

B/CUnclass road users have just got to be aware of the habitat/ecology/wildlife problems of the borders tht they are so keen to encroach at speed, in profoundly rural areas,which by most standards are remote but due to motoring are just
another road to get somewhere fast.

Cyclists are PART of that habitat, not alien to it.

Regards, Gar
mike6

Post by mike6 »

The existing 60mph is ridiculously high for many rural roads, and a review of speed limits is long overdue, that includes many rural A roads as well.
gar

Post by gar »

Actually cyclists are part of the wildlife not the habitat as I suggested.

I am glad you say A roads too, selectively.

How can we campaign for this effectively?

g
mas051

Post by mas051 »

To organise a road rally under the MSA (motor sports association) entails a lot of work and planning, Any residence within a set distance of the route must be notified, any Residence within a greater distance of a control must be notified and if closer than 500m must give writen autherisation. The police authority have to be notified and details of the route to be used have to be sent.

Motor Sport is a big industry in this country, with most of the world rally teams based here, however without the grass routes events, and yes the costs, we don't get the drivers in the same number we used to. Like race cycling unless you get people involved early then you don't get them doing it proffesionally.

matthew
gar

Post by gar »

A small rally went past my home last night with ear splitting noise every few minutes for half an hour

Curiously the council operative called "Mad Kev"
came along doing overtime at double wage to
scalp all the flowers from that particular road at about 1800hrs. One lunatic can do vast quantities of damage in a couple of hours.on county back roads. He has done at double wages.

It was the wage that mattered not the edgerow or the flowers or the wildlife or the habitat.

Back to topic: The rally did not tell me that it was going to take place. Are they committing an offence? They might just be an informal group of tonnuppers. My home is few metres from the road.
At that time of night Deer and badger fox and rabbit are on it.
gar

Post by gar »

I am grateful to the county council who have today
laid what I consider to be traffic calming measures of side white lines all through the village.

It will go some way to reducing the speed of drivers who do not know the road, and improve the safety of cyclists and pedestrians who use it at peak times.

It would only be a hop and a step to reducing their speed to 10 miles an hour on account of the conservation area through which they are proceeding.

gar