Thank you to the Mayor of Fareham

Tallis the Tortoise

Post by Tallis the Tortoise »

Strange how she doesn't seem so concerned about motorists parking on the pavement because of lack of space as the boys having to cycle on the road because of lack of money (would be interesting to see how much they spend on roads, car parking, big expensive official cars for mayors etc).

It is a sad thing that in many areas children cannot actually cycle to many places because of traffic, let alone the numerous circumstances when even adults can't cycle or walk because everything has been focussed towards the car. Near Bala in Snowdonia I passed a family (Including push chair) walking along the grass verge wearing hi-vis vests. Hardly a luxury for pedestrians when motorists enjoyed a wide, smooth tarmac road.

Andy :-)
nortones2

Post by nortones2 »

I've had quite a few frights from car drivers who apparently cannot see pedestrians on the pavement. Had to move sideways, or be run down by a ton of steel. The road involved is under CCTV coverage now, but the local police are reluctant to use it against the idiot minority of drivers, in case Lancashire Evening Post is irritated. I believe someone prominent at LEP was nicked for speeding at some time.....
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Cycling on the footway poses danger, concern and fear to pedestrians, particularly to elderly or disabled ones. Whilst it may not be possible to issue a fixed penalty notice to children under 16, they are still committing an offence in law.

So does this mean that my 6 year old should cycle on the road? B*****r that for a game of soldiers! We wouldn't get anywhere if that were the case.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

fatboy wrote:
Cycling on the footway poses danger, concern and fear to pedestrians, particularly to elderly or disabled ones. Whilst it may not be possible to issue a fixed penalty notice to children under 16, they are still committing an offence in law.

So does this mean that my 6 year old should cycle on the road? B*****r that for a game of soldiers! We wouldn't get anywhere if that were the case.

Indeed, get the feeling that someone is digging, rather than just admitting a mistake.

The fact is, there is documented evidence of a motoring offence. Rather than just admit it and move on they shift the "offence" to an anecdoatal affair regarding the cyclist. Hmmm.

We all know that there are some idiot cyclists, and once caught they should be dealt with by the law. Just as this motorist should.

The cheif commisioner talked of the cycling law when it was amended, he stated that it would be used to prosecute anti-social idiots putting others in danger. Any cyclist giving the pedestrian right of way and cycling on the pavement as a safer option* would be left to go about their business, as would children who are yet to learn any real road sense.

Gazza

* But then perhaps the anti social drivers making it unsafe for cyclists on the road should be prosecuted too.
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.
ThePinkOne

Post by ThePinkOne »

Cunobelin wrote:http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/fareham-and-meon?articleid=3078607

The argument about bike / trike is a red herring to avoid the responsibility

Wheelchairs and pushchairs would also be unable to get through this gap...

One question though...............

Now that the Mayor has stated publicly that this cycle facility is too steep to be used by an average cyclist - can we hope that she will be asking for remedial work to make it "fit for purpose".

Agree totally. After all a recumbent trike is a "cycle"..... Does this mean the mayor regards trikes as "second class" cycles? If so, I think we should be told...... especially considering that for some three wheels is the only way they can enjoy cycling and I'd love to see how she would square this with "equal opportunities..." esp access for "disabled" which no doubt she also tells everyone she supports...

Maybe the mayor should be put in a wheelchair/handcycle, the car parked there, and told to get herself through the gap?

P.