Bristish Cycling E-petition

Shootist

Re: Bristish Cycling E-petition

Post by Shootist »

94inchandy wrote:We need to make this happen and stop people being needlessly killed on the roads.

Are there people who are needfully killed on the roads then? :shock:
Pacifists cannot accept the statement "Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf.", despite it being "grossly obvious."
[George Orwell]
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

Nearly 10% along the way to a Parliamentary debate :)
hexhome

Re: British Cycling E-petition

Post by hexhome »

Still no mention of this petition in CTCs Cycling Clips! I find this fact shocking. I have had emails from British Cycling and 2 cycling campaign groups urging people to sign this but nothing from the CTC. Here is a realistic chance to get a parliamentary debate on the subject of driver training and silence from our club/charity/organisation. Why?
Joe.B

Post by Joe.B »

I've signed this after receiving an email about it from the Newcastle Cycling Campaign.
Anyway, it seem that we've got BC running with this superb campaigning issue and CTC running a racing team. Funny old world ain't it. :?
Si

Post by Si »

hexhome wrote:Still no mention of this petition in CTCs Cycling Clips! I find this fact shocking. I have had emails from British Cycling and 2 cycling campaign groups urging people to sign this but nothing from the CTC. Here is a realistic chance to get a parliamentary debate on the subject of driver training and silence from our club/charity/organisation. Why?

Did you tell them about it?
If you used the publicity address, which is the officially correct channel to contact cycleclips, I've found that it can take some time to get through (if it does at all).
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

Si wrote:
hexhome wrote:Still no mention of this petition in CTCs Cycling Clips! I find this fact shocking. I have had emails from British Cycling and 2 cycling campaign groups urging people to sign this but nothing from the CTC. Here is a realistic chance to get a parliamentary debate on the subject of driver training and silence from our club/charity/organisation. Why?

Did you tell them about it?
If you used the publicity address, which is the officially correct channel to contact cycleclips, I've found that it can take some time to get through (if it does at all).

I emailed CTC Cycle Campaigns using the website contact form - http://www.ctc.org.uk/contact/campaigns

I did consider that they may be unaware of the Epetition. They may of course feel that it doesn't agree with their own aims. I don't know as I haven't received a reply.
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

hexhome wrote:They may of course feel that it doesn't agree with their own aims. I don't know as I haven't received a reply.

I didn't get a reply either. It's difficult to see how the petition could clash with CTC objectives.
It's not just teaching safe passing distance that's important. Road positioning taught by bikeability can create conflict when motorists are ignorant as to the reasons why cyclists adopt primary. Judging from discussions I have had with many people I think this ignorance is more widespread than we perceive and the conflict it creates is completely unnecessary.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

I have had a very full reply from Roger Geffen.

Whilst the CTC fully support the e-petition and it's subject. They feel that it is important to maintain a blanket ban on supporting e-petitions. I agree with them. They are however very actively campaigning on this issue and indeed are meeting with Government ministers to discuss this very subject.

I am satisfied that the CTC is taking an active role in pursuing this goal.
Shockleader

Post by Shockleader »

9786 now!
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

Over 15000, keep it up!
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

Now over 17000, please consider signing if not already done so. http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/44059%20
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

One more :)
Perhaps everyone should pass a road test on a cycle before they can pass a car driving test. That would encourage awareness! OK they could have a big "L" plate :lol:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.