Cycle Superhighway 2 (campaign discussion)

rootes

Re: Cycle Superhighway 2 (campaign discussion)

Post by rootes »

I use the whole length of CS3 to get out to a site of mine in Barking - I think it pretty good (lanes could be wider here and there), it is direct and what little share spaced with roads is on little roads..

I have used CS2 quite a bit as well and in comparison it is shocking, disjointed, confusing busy.. often cars, trucks , market stalls on the route..
rootes

Post by rootes »

CS2..

Filthy path, narrow and being encroached upon by the market (worse as there are also roadworks:

Simple adjustment could be made here.. make the righ hand lane narrower for cars only, move the left hand lane across then place armadillo to segregate the bike lane:

By comparison CS3..

Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

rootes wrote:Simple adjustment could be made here.. make the righ hand lane narrower for cars only, move the left hand lane across then place armadillo to segregate the bike lane:

The pavement is very wide here, the footway could easiy be made narrower to allow extra space for the bike lane without affecting the traffic lanes.

CS3 is interesting, I've never encountered cycle lanes in the UK with dashed lines before.
rootes

Post by rootes »

Mark1978 wrote:
rootes wrote:Simple adjustment could be made here.. make the righ hand lane narrower for cars only, move the left hand lane across then place armadillo to segregate the bike lane:

The pavement is very wide here, the footway could easiy be made narrower to allow extra space for the bike lane without affecting the traffic lanes.

Yep simple to do as well.

CS3 is interesting, I've never encountered cycle lanes in the UK with dashed lines before.

yep most of CS3 is like this, it is dual direction.. in could in many places be a little wider as for cyclist passing in opposite directions can feel a little tight especially on corners as people are learning etc which makes them wider

mjr

Post by mjr »

• Does the blue paint break up like the awful red paint used elsewhere in the country? I've asked councils not to waste their money on painted road surfaces, but to either leave it black, or use proper coloured-all-the-way-through tarmac.
  • Is anyone targetting Barclays over this? Remarketing the "Barclays Cycle Superhighway 2" as the "Barclays Blue Death Lane" may get the mayor's attention rather quicker. OK, so Barclays didn't build the rubbish, but it's their money, name and brand colour on it - they're an enabler who should exercise some control.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
rootes

Post by rootes »

for for those not in London..

Some more pics of CS3:

proper Crossings:

This bit is one of the busiest bits (google must have been up early!) as part of the run between the City and Canary Wharf (usually lots of cyclists)

Not all perfect - but still only on little roads

Nice bit of Erno Goldfinger design in this as well..
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Thanks for the pictures, finally in the UK we're getting something which is approaching the level of the Netherlands (would be classified as terrible in NL I'm sure!), I think if that sort of standard or better were to be rolled out everywhere we'd have a lot more support for off road cycle provision.
Richard Mann

Post by Richard Mann »

Count the number of pedestrians in all those photos of CS3...
rootes

Post by rootes »

Does the blue paint break up like the awful red paint used elsewhere in the country? I've asked councils not to waste their money on painted road surfaces, but to either leave it black, or use proper coloured-all-the-way-through tarmac.

Seems pretty durable, though some bits are slippy, seen two people crak on this bit and I have skidded by self (off camber and seems smoother than other bits) did try and get local LCC to look into it but usual lack of interest.. also council never responded..

Must follow the council up

Is anyone targetting Barclays over this? Remarketing the "Barclays Cycle Superhighway 2" as the "Barclays Blue Death Lane" may get the mayor's attention rather quicker. OK, so Barclays didn't build the rubbish, but it's their money, name and brand colour on it - they're an enabler who should exercise some control.

Not that i have seen.. the Boris Bike did get targeted at first but not seen anything of late. Not that barclays pay than much and are getting refunds as well due to TFL/Serco not meeting contract clauses..
rootes

Post by rootes »

Richard Mann wrote:Count the number of pedestrians in all those photos of CS3...

no/few bikes, cars, trucks generally google streetview very early in the morning to avoid their cars getting stuck in traffic and have the shots obscured.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Blue is used elsewhere in the world to denote cycle lanes however - they are like that in Mallorca for example. So it's not *just* because of Barclays.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mark1978 wrote:Blue is used elsewhere in the world to denote cycle lanes however - they are like that in Mallorca for example. So it's not *just* because of Barclays.

And that lovely cycle lane the M1...

Oh, wait a moment...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
AndyBSG

Post by AndyBSG »

rootes wrote:This bit is one of the busiest bits (google must have been up early!) as part of the run between the City and Canary Wharf (usually lots of cyclists)

I was walking past this part last night as I had to go to Shadwell... Awful area of Lonodon but I was impressed with the cycle lanes and the amount of cyclists using them!
boliston

Post by boliston »

Simply painting an area on a road blue (or red) and passing it off as a "cycling facility" is just a scam to fob off cyclists and a way for council bosses to "tick boxes".
Unless the road has almost zero traffic (so that cyclists and motor traffic can share the whole road space safely) then the only safe answer is some sort of physical separation between motor lanes and cycle lanes.
Obviously this does not apply to "vehicular cyclists" who cycle fast, keeping up with all the other traffic in primary position, and likely have little interest in cycle lanes, but the bulk of cyclists are probably not in this category.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Well, a whole lot of photos (or, to be more accurate, screen grabs from Streetview) make the picture a lot clearer. Evidently there are some excellent CS's alongside the appalling ones. I think we all know which are which! Perhaps we should go around 'scoring' sections of CS (and other facilities besides, including outside London), on a scale of 1 to 10, and make the results public. After all, that's what's happening to schools - and hospitals.

Any volunteers? And take photos: Streetview is by its very nature out of date.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).