Calls for more barriers on cycle paths

Mark1978

Calls for more barriers on cycle paths

Post by Mark1978 »

http://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/news ... ths-38018/

Yes that's just what we need...

While they highlight a real issue, what will result will be, will be a stalling of improvements to off road routes, at a time when we need to see new routes and upgrades to existing ones, not further restrictions and hence a further depression of cycling in general.
Mr. Viking

Re: Calls for more barriers on cycle paths

Post by Mr. Viking »

I would worry about what happens if chicanes and speed bumps are simply treated as obstacles and raced around.

The argument that a lower quality surface would improve safety seems regressive to me, as it may stop racers, but in doing so it makes the paths less safe and usable for others.
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

This is the bit I liked "the charity urged fast riders to slow down or use the road".
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Mr. Viking wrote:The argument that a lower quality surface would improve safety seems regressive to me, as it may stop racers, but in doing so it makes the paths less safe and usable for others.

But they'll also be going slower and so there's no reason it'll be less safe. Less usable probably, but no different to arguing for 20 mph limits and all the hardware that goes with them.

Sadly a bit like roads the issue is that if the users can't use it sensibly then everyone pays the price.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

The only times I'll use a shared cycle path, are (a) when there's no alternative, or (b) it's very lightly used by pedestrians. In such cases one should certainly slow to walking pace when approaching pedestrians. Result: no problem.

This is why I - and of course a lot of other cyclists - resent it when people shout at us to 'get on the cycle path' when it's crowded with other users and I'm clearly going much too fast for the path. I'm a slowcoach as far as cycling is concerned, but even a speed of say 15mph is far too fast to 'mix it' with pedestrians, elderly people, small children, dogs, horses, etc. I don't think that labels me a cycle snob. I'm just being practical.

But I'm sure the shared paths have their place, for some users, especially beginners. Shame if they're the ones going to find it more difficult.

I'm dubious as to whether genuine 'racing cyclists', i.e. roadies, are the ones causing the problems here.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Here's the Sustrans piece http://www.sustrans.org.uk/blog/end-another-tour

There are those who will argue that this is a blessing since shared use paths are rubbish for cyclists anyway.

Amazing that Sustrans basically admits their infrastructure is pants.
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

I think that the increasing number of cyclists is having a real effect. They used to be a deferential minority who knew their place, now we have a much broader church with a much more representative cross section of the population including the aggressive, anti-social ones too. So all of the old comfortable, accommodations are being challenged. Now it's Sustrans turn. They've have had to admit that their network is only a small part of what cycling needs and they they don't want all cyclists any more than all cyclists want their paths. Welcome to the real world. Change and improvement aren't always a comfortable process.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

I don't think it's necessarily right to blame Strava either. Although I'm sure it's a factor, I think in the main the "problem" is cyclists who want to get a move on and do some cycling (i.e. not pootling along), but understandably don't want to do that with motor traffic. Now if Sustrans can't understand that, then there really is no hope.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mark1978 wrote:http://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/news/article/speed-bumps-and-barriers-could-be-installed-on-shared-use-paths-38018/

Yes that's just what we need...

While they highlight a real issue, what will result will be, will be a stalling of improvements to off road routes, at a time when we need to see new routes and upgrades to existing ones, not further restrictions and hence a further depression of cycling in general.

It's just like cars on the roads,in certain low speed areas motorists will not stick to the speed limits,so the limits are enforced by speed humps and chicanes,etc.A case of the few causing problems/dictating for/to the many,it was ever thus.
The mark of a completely selfish society,lacking the laws/punishments to deal with the small but significant element that spoil it for the majority.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
BSRU

Post by BSRU »

I always ride slowly on the small section of shared paths I have to use and it is very common for other cyclists to catch me up. They seem frustrated that some guy a a road bike is going so slowly.
Usually as we rejoin the road the cyclist I have held up "blasts" past me only to realise I am not a slow cyclist as I later effortlessly cruise past them after they have over exerted themselves :D .
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I've been wondering about a recently-announced section of cycle path that's about to spring forth in our local town. They're planning to widen an existing pavement to 3m (how? narrow the road? Dig up the grass strip between pavement and road? Guess!) and turn it into bidirectional shared-use - and plant plane trees along the road to boot. Now London plane trees Platanus × acerifolia are good in principle - they seem to relish sucking in the polluted fumes of our cities - but there is plenty of vegetation alongside that particular road already. And where are the trees going to go, I wonder? At intervals along the cycle path, I suppose - serving as natural obstacles in the fashion of this splendid example (in Brighton). Job done - as per the thread title! :twisted:

I may be wrong: this is only the natural cynic in me showing through...

Since the proposed cycle path is only 400m long it's hardly likely to be of interest to roadie speed merchants. It will come to an end at a roundabout, each end. Come to an end how exactly? Don't tell me - don't tell me ...... "CYCLISTS DISMOUNT"! :evil:

And another point: the path is doubly redundant because there are two parallel, quieter roads which cyclists can use as an alternative already. Indeed until a few weeks ago one of them was on my commute. It does admittedly degenerate into a rat run at times.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
gaz

Post by gaz »

Mark1978 wrote:Here's the Sustrans piece http://www.sustrans.org.uk/blog/end-another-tour

There are those who will argue that this is a blessing since shared use paths are rubbish for cyclists anyway.

Amazing that Sustrans basically admits their infrastructure is pants.

I'm glad you linked the whole piece as the quote is out of context. Sustrans are saying that some people think shared paths are pants, not Sustrans themselves. As for it being Sustrans infrastructure, the NCN is about 14,000 miles long of which Sustrans own or manage about 600 miles; just 4.3%.

reohn2 wrote:It's just like cars on the roads,in certain low speed areas motorists will not stick to the speed limits,so the limits are enforced by speed humps and chicanes,etc.A case of the few causing problems/dictating for/to the many,it was ever thus.
The mark of a completely selfish society,lacking the laws/punishments to deal with the small but significant element that spoil it for the majority.

+1. Sustrans want to discourage cyclists from travelling at inappropriate speeds around other users - "Share with Care", there may be some people ignoring that principle out of ignorance but in most cases it's plain selfishness.

Edit: Sustrans Barrier Policy Manual: http://www.sustrans.org.uk/sites/defaul ... 202012.pdf
Last edited by gaz on 6 Mar 2015, 9:42am, edited 1 time in total.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

To me it's a no brainer that if you don't want to travel slowly and be prepared to politely facilitate predictably unpredictable pedestrians, kids and animals the you shouldn't be on a shared path.

Part of the problem is that as cycle usage has increased so has it's share of the socially inadequate. Another part is that increased cycling is showing that Sustrans is only a small part of the solution. If they have to make their paths more unattractive to cyclists (and they may if cyclist don't use them reponsibly) then they're publically abdicating from the idea that segregation is the only solution and it will help move the debate along to addressing other parts of the problem like driver attitudes.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Let's put barriers and chicanes on the roads. Then, more cyclists will use the roads instead of shared paths.

:mrgreen:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:Let's put barriers and chicanes on the roads. Then, more cyclists will use the roads instead of shared paths.

:mrgreen:

If you mean so cars can't use some roads,then I'm all for it :D .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden