Dangerous "tactile" surfaces on bike paths

mjr

Re: Dangerous "tactile" surfaces on bike paths

Post by mjr »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Are you sure that corduroy's correct? I think it should be ribbing in ladder configuration to indicate the pedestrian side of the 'pavement'. Corduroy is for other situations eg steps.

mikeymo has quoted the gospel. Corduroy really is correct for a footway crossing a cycleway. Ladder ribbing would actually be incorrect because there is no cyclist "side" by that pavement - the cycleway goes on a little excursion around a slope there.

And I prefer it being this corduroy because when people do dodgily cycle along the pavement (due to congestion on the metre-width two-way cycleway and an absence of walkers on the pavement, for example - walkers often walk along the cycleway because it's further from the noise and fume monsters), there are effectively channels along the joins in the tiles so their bikes don't have to get rattled too much.

Edit to add: actually, what they've used is not corduroy because each tile has rounded bar ends, which leaves a flat gap along the joint in the tiles. They've used "guidance" tiles shown in Figure 36 and used them incorrectly. So maybe I should relabel that image!

But even if that's correct, the whole installation is a mess!

Oh yes, indeed. Highways England have consulted on changing it at least twice, but done nothing yet. I will believe that there has been a "Gear Change" in government support for cycling once they actually start fixing this sort of dangerous old rubbish instead of brainlessly repairing it when the 28th motorist crashes across it in flames.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

So have I got this correct: Where a cycleway side by side with a pedestrian footway ends, there should be corduroy in tramline configuration on the cycle side? And the pedestrian side should be ribbing in ladder configuration?

And how is "end" defined in this case? Does it apply where there is a side road or a drive into, say, a school, but the cycleway continues after that?
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Bmblbzzz wrote:So have I got this correct: Where a cycleway side by side with a pedestrian footway ends, there should be corduroy in tramline configuration on the cycle side? And the pedestrian side should be ribbing in ladder configuration?

And how is "end" defined in this case? Does it apply where there is a side road or a drive into, say, a school, but the cycleway continues after that?

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/918353/tactile-paving-surfaces.pdf