Pedal reflector law fixes

simonhill

Re: Pedal reflector law fixes

Post by simonhill »

Interesting point CJ. Another thing to add to the 'things to consider when building a touring bike list'.

Pedals you can get off.

I use MKS flat pedals with spanner flats and sometimes call into a passing bike shop at the end of a tour and ask them to loosen my pedals then do up just tight for the last few miles. I do have the necessary 8mm Allen key and sometimes also take either a small 15mm open end spanner or a small adjustable, but the pedals can sometimes prove difficult after a long tour.

Edit - just realised the thread title, sorry to go off topic.
freiston

Re: Pedal reflector law fixes

Post by freiston »

When I replaced the supplied pedals on my 2014 new bike, I replaced them with Shimano Click'R PD-T400 pedals specifically because I wanted SPD pedals with "legal" reflectors for night time riding. I had previously used single-sided SPD pedals combining a flat pedal on the other side but I wanted to give double-sided SPD pedals a go (I realise that "double-sided" is an ambiguous term and is sometimes used to describe pedals with flat one side and SPD on the other). They don't hold the cleat as securely as regular SPDs but if you're not racing or chasing Strava records, they hold it well enough, imho.

https://road.cc/content/review/69035-sh ... ls-pd-t400
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)