Does the threat of disqualification deter speeding?

thirdcrank

Re: Does the threat of disqualification deter speeding?

Post by thirdcrank »

For as long as I can remember, one of the things about insurance has been the feature of many policies which gives the policyholder so-called Road Traffic Act cover for any vehicle they are entitled to drive. This was made more of an issue when, for cost-saving reasons - insurers stopped specifying the details of the insured vehicle in the certificate of insurance, which often made it possible to produce just about anything at a police station and have it accepted. Had there been a claim, the existence or otherwise would soon have been clear when the insurers got twitchy, but anybody required to produce their documents at a police station could get away with it and often did.

The online database shows whether a vehicle has cover, rather than a driver.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Pete Owens wrote:Going back to the OP I think that does show how we have been making progress over the past 5 years. Certainly, since Chris Hulne/Vicky Price I doubt there is much point swapping going on nowadays. Taking a few points on your licence might seem a price worth paying to avoid having to act as a taxi driver for your partner; risking a few months at her majesties pleasure for perverting the course of justice is another thing.

She was claiming coersion by her hubby (fancy lawer trick if caught), you cannot do that anymore I believe.

Quite possible a lot of points swapping goes undetected
I generally drive with the sun visor down and wear a cap so I might be hard to identify in a photo
Got no points yet, mind, and :D I am proud to relate that the cops once pulled me over because I was driving 'too slowly'

Where are the famous points-swappers now, have they got back together? What kind of politrickian pays a lot of money for a personalised numberplate?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

A magistrate I knew recounted a case where a man claimed his wife had been at the wheel when caught speeding by a camera. The magistrate then had to ask the man whether his wife had a beard, like the face in the photo. Needless to say the man got the ticket.

Apart from my desire to be more or less compliant with the speed limits, the thing that keeps me extra motivated to keep at or below the limit is points. I could accept the odd fine without a worry, but the points are the real penalty. I'd be very close to being fully compliant even without the threat of points, but that penalty is the one that bothers me. So it works. If fines cover the costs of the system lets keep them, but they are not the main deterrent.

Lots of jobs out there require a driving licence with a low number of points.
Last edited by pwa on 4 Apr 2018, 5:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barks

Post by Barks »

So this man was plainly seen to be lying in court - doesn’t that come under contempt offences? If s then the magistrate should have followed up on that as well as confirming the speeding fine.