No Overtaking of cyclists on some roads?

661-Pete

No Overtaking of cyclists on some roads?

Postby 661-Pete » 11 May 2014, 9:22pm

A somewhat novel proposal: see here:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/m ... t-proposal
Would this work?

My reaction is, it's a bit over the top. I think it would be a good idea to restrict overtaking of cyclists - or indeed any other moving road user on the carriageway - at or close to some junctions, or where there are bollards, etc. Certainly, overtaking a cyclist and then immediately turning left is a no-no - and it happens often enough!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

Vorpal

Re: No Overtaking of cyclists on some roads?

Postby Vorpal » 11 May 2014, 9:25pm

OTT? Nope. It's about time.

But if it isn't enforced, there's no point to it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 11 May 2014, 9:51pm

double white lines?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

beardy

Postby beardy » 11 May 2014, 10:15pm

If I recall correctly the old (Britannia?) bridge across the Menai Straits has a sign forbidding the overtaking of cyclists.

Or was it forbids overtaking except cyclists by cyclists? Which is nearly the same thing.

TonyR

Postby TonyR » 11 May 2014, 10:44pm

[XAP]Bob wrote:double white lines?

Doesn't work if you are doing less than 10mph when the car overtakes you. (Highway Code Rule 129)

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 11 May 2014, 11:56pm

The British Cycling association has welcomed the proposed changes, but warned political determination and funding were essential to make them work.

Or put another way,if there's no one to enforce the law there may as well be no law!

It's currently unlawful to overtake when I'm signalling to turn right but it happens an all too frequent basis.
It's unlawful to frighten the living daylights out of me by overtaking so close as to almost clip my right elbow but that also happens on an all too frequent basis too.

Politrickians are very good at making laws then reducing police funding to enforce those laws,or making the punishments harsh enough to deter breaking those laws.
The law is joke played on vulnerable road users.
-----------------------------------------------------------

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 12 May 2014, 7:28am

As can be seen by following the link within the linked Garudian article, this is a proposal in the draft TSRGD currently out for consultation. Why did the rag highlight this particular proposal? Might it be that it's controversial? Drivers being fined for overtaking cyclists? :shock: Whatever next?

As others have pointed out, without enforcement, it will be pointless. It might well be counter-productive if it encouraged some riders to undertake DIY enforcement by obstructing would-be overtakers.

IMO, it needs more than enforcement: what's really lacking is any genuine commitment by the authorities. Having said that, I suspect that the various authorities in London may be beginning to appreciate the benefits of a change of mode to cycling.

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 12 May 2014, 10:31am

thirdcrank wrote:As can be seen by following the link within the linked Garudian article, this is a proposal in the draft TSRGD currently out for consultation. Why did the rag highlight this particular proposal? Might it be that it's controversial? Drivers being fined for overtaking cyclists? :shock: Whatever next?
I did use the word 'proposal' in the OP. Personally I don't think it will happen, nor will it work if it does, for the reasons you gave.

I think the Guardian chose to feature this item because it's been giving a lot of exposure to cycling-related subjects in recent months anyway - how many links to the Guardian have been posted on this forum alone?! They know - of course - that it will attract a wealth of 'lively' and in many cases hostile comments - I reckon they attract a lot of DM expats. And the Graun sets a lot of store in its comments columns. Incidentally I don't choose to refer to it as a 'rag'.

But the proposal is an interesting idea, all the same.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

beardy

Postby beardy » 12 May 2014, 10:39am

It may need relabelling.

"The Government intends to open up pedestrian zones to motorists, they will however be restricted to 15mph and not allowed to overtake cyclists"

Somewhere lower down in the smallprint it may say.
"The scheme will not include many existing pedestrian zones".

Then if after a while there are more of these zones it may start to dawn on motorists that they can not always have priority and hopefully it could be the thin end of the wedge.

I am not holding my breath.

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 12 May 2014, 10:40am

Even if the proposal is adopted, (as I understand it) it does not force any authority to implement the change. It just provides a mechanism where an authority can chose to make the change to selected roads. And how many authorities are actually going to face the wrath of drivers by re-classifying a road in such a manner ?

Ian

meic

Postby meic » 12 May 2014, 10:49am

I can think of roads, one in particular here in Carmarthen where all people would probably welcome it.

They have already reshaped the road so that you can not overtake a cyclist, they dont want it used as a through road, there is one running parallel the other side of the shops, it is just for getting to the shops on it. Further along it has been pedestrianised with cars having to rejoin the through road.

With such a law (and a reasonable degree of compliance) they could remove all the furniture and have it as a pedestrian zone that cars can enter, which isnt much different from how it is further on because the pedestrian zone always has plenty of motorvehicles in it making deliveries or the "I can not walk that far brigade", they do however restrain from driving over about 15mph or claiming priority through force too aggressively.
Yma o Hyd

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 12 May 2014, 11:53am

TonyR wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:double white lines?

Doesn't work if you are doing less than 10mph when the car overtakes you. (Highway Code Rule 129)

Yes - but since that is so widely ignored I can't imagine this being any better.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

horizon

Postby horizon » 12 May 2014, 4:31pm

I was gobsmacked to see the following temporary sign in Plymouth on Sunday:

"NARROW LANES - NO OVERTAKING OF CYCLES"

Unfortunately no photo. It applied to a short stretch of road works but this would be no different from many other similar stretches. It's the first time I have seen such a notice.

If anyone lives in Plymouth and get a pic, that would be great.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Plymou ... m&t=m&z=14
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher

andrewk

Postby andrewk » 12 May 2014, 5:38pm

Ill conceived, OTT and likely to exacerbate ill feeling between cyclists and motorists. Yet another crazy idea from the anti car luddites. Encouraging and facilitating cycling ought not to rely upon hampering others, fortunately this proposal would be massively unpopular and thus require brave politicians to enact.

beardy

Postby beardy » 12 May 2014, 6:14pm

Speaking as an anti-car Luddite, despite driving one myself, we would much prefer to see these roads pedestrianised or given the "flying motorcycle" sign.