No Overtaking of cyclists on some roads?

661-Pete

Re: No Overtaking of cyclists on some roads?

Postby 661-Pete » 12 May 2014, 6:28pm

andrewk wrote:Ill conceived, OTT and likely to exacerbate ill feeling between cyclists and motorists. Yet another crazy idea from the anti car luddites. Encouraging and facilitating cycling ought not to rely upon hampering others, fortunately this proposal would be massively unpopular and thus require brave politicians to enact.
Nothing wrong in calling it crazy, but this idea, it seems, originated from a consultation document issued by the Department for Transport:
'Cycle streets'
5.13 We will be taking forward the opportunity to trial the “Cycle Streets” concept within the revised TSRGD. This is a bold initiative, which is being considered by some of the Cycle Cities and London, possibly including a ban on overtaking on lightly trafficked roads where cycle flows are high. Subject to any scheme trial, this prohibition could be accompanied by an advisory speed limit of 15 mph.
(The document linked to from the Guardian article). I wouldn't call the DfT 'anti-car-luddites'. Not yet, at any rate...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

BE1

Postby BE1 » 22 Jun 2014, 8:14am

I am coming to this one very late....

It sounds very similar to the "bicycle priority" streets which are being tested here in Brussels.

They have a 30 kph speed limit a big sign on entry stating that cyclist have priority and also bicycle logos painted at intervals all across the road.

Overtaking is not forbidden but

The ones I know are on very narrow streets running along side a busy road and I suspect are being used at least in part as a cheap form of traffic calming.

I will try and take some photos the next time I am out

Graham

Postby Graham » 22 Jun 2014, 9:42am

BE1 wrote: . . . It sounds very similar to the "bicycle priority" streets which are being tested here in Brussels.
I will try and take some photos the next time I am out

Yes please to the photos.
I remember cycling in central Brussels while working there several years ago.
At that time it was a notably hostile environment to anyone cycling.
Where cycle paths existed, they were extremely variable in quality.

Pete Owens

Postby Pete Owens » 23 Jun 2014, 12:03am

Try this google search for photos of cycle streets:
https://www.google.ca/search?q=fahrrads ... t&tbm=isch

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 23 Jun 2014, 9:25am

Pete Owens wrote:Try this google search for photos of cycle streets:
https://www.google.ca/search?q=fahrrads ... t&tbm=isch

When you look at the photos it says 'civilised','social',unlike................
-----------------------------------------------------------

PRL

Postby PRL » 23 Jun 2014, 7:24pm

beardy wrote:Speaking as an anti-car Luddite, despite driving one myself, we would much prefer to see these roads pedestrianised or given the "flying motorcycle" sign.

Yebbut as in the case above there are some roads where access for deliveries is needed but are generally unsuitable for motor vehicles. The proposal would be fine in that situation.

brooksby

Postby brooksby » 21 Aug 2014, 10:49pm

If there are double white lines, can a motorist legally overtake a cyclist? There's a narrow section on the A369 - one lane out toward Portishead, two lanes toward Bristol, with double white lines to separate the Portishead lane from the others. If I'm cycling along the single lane, I get overtaken all the time, even though those vehicles are crossing the double white line (it's not just me - I see it happening all the time). SO is it legal? (I appreciate its a bit OT, but seems the right place to ask...).

Bicycler

Postby Bicycler » 21 Aug 2014, 11:26pm

Yes it is legal to pass as long as you are not travelling more than 10 mph.

HC Rule 129: Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.

Personally, I'm happy enough for them to overtake as long as it is safe to do so.