Problems solved: 74 % use phones while driving

pwa

Re: Problems solved: 74 % use phones while driving

Post by pwa »

A friend of mine was done for using a mobile while driving. Except he didn't. He was in charge of a refrigerated van. He was parked in a layby with the handbrake on but the engine running to power the refrigeration unit. Seatbelt off, eating his lunch and on the phone to his Missus. A copper booked him for driving whilst using his mobile. I have never known him actually drive, as in moving along, whilst using a mobile. Rather harsh and missing the point, I thought.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

If the policeperson applied the letter of the law, he had no choice
Else, he could have been disciplined
Chwarae teg
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:A friend of mine was done for using a mobile while driving. Except he didn't. He was in charge of a refrigerated van. He was parked in a layby with the handbrake on but the engine running to power the refrigeration unit. Seatbelt off, eating his lunch and on the phone to his Missus. A copper booked him for driving whilst using his mobile. I have never known him actually drive, as in moving along, whilst using a mobile. Rather harsh and missing the point, I thought.

I agree,an advisory word in that situation should've been enough IMHO
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

pwa wrote:A friend of mine was done for using a mobile while driving. Except he didn't. He was in charge of a refrigerated van. He was parked in a layby with the handbrake on but the engine running to power the refrigeration unit. Seatbelt off, eating his lunch and on the phone to his Missus. A copper booked him for driving whilst using his mobile. I have never known him actually drive, as in moving along, whilst using a mobile. Rather harsh and missing the point, I thought.

Completely missing the point - where was the charge for not eating and driving, and for not paying attention to the road whilst driving. For not checking mirrors.
Maybe there should be a charge for driving with the handbrake still engaged.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Put the penalties on a par with drink driving. Some will be deterred, the rest will slowly get caught and banned from the road. Alas, the government can't be seen to make life difficult for the motorist, because they're more worried about getting reelected than doing what is right.

The law is quite clear on that point, and its his responsibility as a driver to be aware of that. Effective hands free units start from under a tenner, which is a lot less than the cost of the FPN. He may not be in motion, but he is still 'in charge'. You'd think that someone who drove for a living would make greater effort to keep abreast of the law.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:Put the penalties on a par with drink driving. Some will be deterred, the rest will slowly get caught and banned from the road. Alas, the government can't be seen to make life difficult for the motorist, because they're more worried about getting reelected than doing what is right.

The law is quite clear on that point, and its his responsibility as a driver to be aware of that. Effective hands free units start from under a tenner, which is a lot less than the cost of the FPN. He may not be in motion, but he is still 'in charge'. You'd think that someone who drove for a living would make greater effort to keep abreast of the law.

It's easy to cast such judgement on someone, but think about it. He was parked in every detail except for the engine running, including being in a layby. Handbrake on, neutral gear selected, seatbelt off and eating his lunch in the half hour break his employer gives him. But as he delivers food he has to ensure the freezer and fridge are kept to the right temperature. In warm weather that means occasional switching on of the engine. I'd not call that driving. It adds nothing to road safety by "cracking down" on someone in that situation. If the law sees what he did as an offence, the law needs changing. He could also have been done for not wearing his seatbelt, or for eating. He has no choice, unless you consider not eating during his lunch break a choice. Or do we accept his customers getting compromised food?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

He could have got out of the vehicle and left the engine running, could probably be booked for that too

So: apparently the police went by the LETTER of the law, there is quite a lot to be said for that!

So, one never knows if the offending driver is not a "mystery shopper", i.e. someone engaged by the constabulary to check quality of service
How much discretion does a constable have? Do they really have targets to issue certain numbers of tickets? Or may they just warn verbally if they feel like it?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Indeed. The first report makes note that the number has reduced by a quarter in a single year. That's a very significant reduction, and remarkable in a single year, and is indicative that the new penalties are having an effect.

I suspect that I might be alone in celebrating this, but by way of trying to be positive, I think it is very noteworthy trend. I hope it continues at a similar pace.