Pavement Parking

squeaker

Pavement Parking

Post by squeaker »

Campaign needing support IMHO, if for no other reason than many 'pavement parked' vehicles are half on the road too!
"42"
John Holiday

Re: Pavement Parking

Post by John Holiday »

We should be supporting this campaign.
Far too many motorists see the pavement as a convenient place to stop to avoid obstructing the highway!
My daughter got into a row with a wagon driver recently,when she was forced onto the road with the push chair,because the delivery truck was blocking the footpath!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Supported and email sent :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
gaz

Post by gaz »

+1
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Rob Archer

Post by Rob Archer »

Round our way cyclists regularly get clobbered with a £50 fine
for cycling on a Footway, yet drivers routinely block the Footway and the police aren't interested - until you threaten to crowbar the offending vehicle back into the road. Where would I stand legally if I actually did this I wonder?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Rob Archer wrote:Round our way cyclists regularly get clobbered with a £50 fine
for cycling on a Footway, yet drivers routinely block the Footway and the police aren't interested - until you threaten to crowbar the offending vehicle back into the road. Where would I stand legally if I actually did this I wonder?

Depends if you use a lorry...

Or just a group of strong blokes. Preferably turn it round so it's facing the wrong way down the one way street as well ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
BSRU

Post by BSRU »

Since a car parked on the pavement has obviously been driven onto the pavement, the police should enforce that law as well.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Don't often sign petitions, but lately I suspect Madame's been getting tired of me whinging about folk doing this... So, tis 'right up my street' in more ways than one.
james01

Post by james01 »

Many high-density housing developments from the 1970s onwards have hopelessly cramped streets. With multiple vehicle ownership per household, kerbside parking is the norm, but correctly-parked vehicles can leave a central throughway which is far to narrow to allow access for emergency vehicles . It seems to have become acceptable among residents in these cases to flout the law and park half-on the pavement, even at the expense of forcing pushchairs and wheelchairs onto the road :(
gaz

Post by gaz »

Recent thread on the same subject, some useful links: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=85390&p=769014
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

james01 wrote:Many high-density housing developments from the 1970s onwards have hopelessly cramped streets. With multiple vehicle ownership per household, kerbside parking is the norm, but correctly-parked vehicles can leave a central throughway which is far to narrow to allow access for emergency vehicles . It seems to have become acceptable among residents in these cases to flout the law and park half-on the pavement, even at the expense of forcing pushchairs and wheelchairs onto the road :(

That's not always true. The recent development near me has parking around the rear of the properties and a wide cycle path on the road. Didn't stop the residents from parking in the cycle lane, nor did it stop them kicking up one hell of a fuss when the council declared they were going to put yellow lines down to stop them.
Then of course there are those who park on the pavement outside their houses despite having a perfectly good empty drive.

The issue is that it's become the norm to the point where people have started doing it without even thinking and that's a bad place to be.
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

We should follow the same policy as in Japanese cities,where if you have no off street space,you don't get a licence to keep a car.
Just imagine the Dily Mail headlines,if it ever came to pass!!!!
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

It is interesting that it's acceptable to leave cars (vans, trailers, caravans etc.) near-permanently parked up leaving that bit of the public highway unusable by the public. If the highway can be utilised for storage it does seem like the perfect answer for those with no room to store bikes at home. What we need is some design of secure bicycle shelter which can be placed in the pavement/street outside every home...

If that is ridiculous, so is the current state of affairs
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

John Holiday wrote:We should follow the same policy as in Japanese cities,where if you have no off street space,you don't get a licence to keep a car.
That would preclude millions of homes not being allowed a car. Although I can see the merit in this, it would do untold damage to the economy.

If it were to be made a rule, it would have to come in very slowly, with enough time for some alternative infrastructure to grow. Our village for instance, is clogged with cars parked on the lanes and although the main road has a bus stop, it's nowhere near enough space for hoards of people without cars to wait for a bus. Even then, the busses have to be small to get through the narrow lanes, so the roads would be clogged with small busses!
Mick F. Cornwall
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Even the shortest buses can carry over 40 people including standing room. So that's about 30 cars worth then and there. Of course if people thought a bit more carefully, routinely car shared, used alternative modes of transport and only used cars when necessary (allowing a reduction in the number of cars per household) we could go a long way towards reducing the problem without resorting to draconian measures or causing undue hardship