Pavement Parking

ThePinkOne

Re: Pavement Parking

Postby ThePinkOne » 9 Mar 2019, 10:46am

Bmblbzzz wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:One key factor there though is that they are closes, therefore reducing traffic volumes - no one goes down there unless to one of those houses, and speeds - everyone going down there is intending to stop pretty soon. Different from the average residential street.

What else happens in those spaces, in addition to driving and walking (and let's hope some cycling too)?

Repeating this question, not to insist on an answer but to explain why I asked it. A residential area like that, especially a cul-de-sac, really should have non-traffic activities happening in it: kids running around, neighbours chatting, hopscotch and football, the occasional picnic in the summer, that sort of thing.

That's what happens in ours. The terms "pavement" and "road" also become a bit blurred as end sections of "road" are brick-paved like driveways. Also, the "road" surface is much better quality than the narrow and lumpy bits of pavement so it's the norm to walk- or to stand and chat- in the road anyway, and the kids play in the road too. (It's the very end of a cul-de-sac- effectively we're in a cul-de-sac within a cul-de-sac). Traffic is only going in and out slowly- in many ways the house on the corner where they pavement park in an odd place does us all a big favour as it slows any incoming traffic to less than walking space. You can walk or cycle between the ends of the "interior" cul-de-sacs- they have bollards and strategically positioned trees to prevent cars doing so- but cars are only going in/out from a house, there is absolutely no through route for cars, just for bikes/people.

What helps I think is not only that the area is quite well-designed to be a shared space, but also that the people living in it mostly have respect for the space. It's mainly owner-occupied by older people plus a few families, most residents have lived in the close/estate for 10+ years, many for 20+ years, many with sibling/parents living nearby- so it's a proper "home" area, IMO that makes a big difference.

TPO

Bmblbzzz

Re: Pavement Parking

Postby Bmblbzzz » 9 Mar 2019, 3:51pm

ThePinkOne wrote:What helps I think is not only that the area is quite well-designed to be a shared space, but also that the people living in it mostly have respect for the space. It's mainly owner-occupied by older people plus a few families, most residents have lived in the close/estate for 10+ years, many for 20+ years, many with sibling/parents living nearby- so it's a proper "home" area, IMO that makes a big difference.

TPO

Yes, I'm sure that makes a difference, probably at least as much as the design.