'Tax Discs - the End of the Road'

simonineaston

Re: 'Tax Discs - the End of the Road'

Post by simonineaston »

Maybe I shouldn't moan about the lack of a bitty piece of paper - maybe the day when I can point my iPhone at the car and it'll tell me whether it's legal or not is not far off...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

simonineaston wrote:Maybe I shouldn't moan about the lack of a bitty piece of paper - maybe the day when I can point my iPhone at the car and it'll tell me whether it's legal or not is not far off...

Current phones are good enough to do that, wonder if there's a market...
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Perhaps you'll be able to point it at the diagnostic port (which has a name I don't know) and check all the stored info.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

kwackers wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Iowned a motor cycle for over ten years,never had tax disc stolen,I did have mates who did though.

Did you park it in Liverpool? :wink:

I always tried not to :)

Supposedly they're clamping down on foreign plates.

They are now yes,too little too late as always :?
The false plate in theory is easy to fix at the risk of raising the ire of the privacy brigade. You simply make note of the time stamp of vehicles triggering ANPR then the computer can check for unusual patterns (from the obvious; 'this vehicle triggered an ANPR 100 miles away 10 minutes ago to more subtle stuff like managing to appear in two disparate areas without triggering the ANPR's en-route).

Yep it can,but what's the chances?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

kwackers wrote:
simonineaston wrote:Maybe I shouldn't moan about the lack of a bitty piece of paper - maybe the day when I can point my iPhone at the car and it'll tell me whether it's legal or not is not far off...

Current phones are good enough to do that, wonder if there's a market...

Probably,you could sell it to GMP and Cheshire police that should take care of about oh,maybe as many as 15 units,about the combined number of constables of both forces :roll: :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Well not quite, but I've now found this web page https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ where you can check the details of any vehicle, which negates what I wrote previously. :oops:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

MikeF wrote:

Well not quite, but I've now found this web page https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ where you can check the details of any vehicle, which negates what I wrote previously. :oops:

Throw in the insurance service (such as askmid) and you're sorted.
(Next get/write a phone app that has number plate recognition and a scraper for those websites and you could stick your phone on the dash and get it to pop up alerts like the plods get!)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Today I learn that in addition to there being no requirement to display the 'tax disc' from the 1st of Oct., we will be able to pay for VED by monthly direct debit, which service I will avail myself of, I think...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I was reading something in the papers a couple of weeks ago about how this will affect motor traders who don't have trade plates. As the tax will be repaid whenever a vehicle is sold, they will have untaxed cars that cannot be used on the road unless they register a change of ownership and re-tax them. I fancy that if a car is traded in at that end of the market now, any outstanding tax is reclaimed anyway.

For some reason that's not clear to me, the RAC seems to be upset at the changes; there's an article in the Daily T today. A spinner speaking on behalf the DVLA spoils a good case in favour of the new system by comparing it to television licences, which don't have to be displayed in a house window. Don't give the TVLA any ideas, mate. :evil:
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

thirdcrank wrote: Don't give the TVLA any ideas, mate. :evil:

LoL - too right!
S
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

A little story .....

Some years ago at a family wedding, the bride and father arrived in a white Rolls Royce and it waited outside the church of course to take the new husband and wife away to the reception.

After the ceremony, I was hanging around gawping at the Roller. Lovely car!
Then I noticed something.

It was mid April 2005.
The tax disc had expired at the end of March. :shock:

I took no action about this except for remembering the facts. I didn't want to cause a scene but it annoyed me that the hire car company must have been informed by DVLA that the tax was expiring but no-one did anything about it!!! I walked round the Rolls and looked at the tyres, perhaps it didn't have an MOT? Perhaps it wasn't insured?

I will never know, but having a tax disc - or not - can certainly tell a story.
Mick F. Cornwall
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Mick F wrote:I will never know, but having a tax disc - or not - can certainly tell a story.

How do you know it wasn't taxed? All it proves is they weren't displaying it. Someone could have bought it and then not gotten around to fitting it - a situation that's more likely with a company vehicle where the driver may well not be the person in charge of the general running and bookwork.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yep.
Correct.
It could have been taxed, no doubt about it. It could have been taxed.

However, what sort of advert is it for a wedding car company to send a car out with an out of date tax disc? It wasn't just out of date, it was weeks out of date.

As I said, if they can't get that bit correct, how would one know it was insured and MOT'd?
............ but the bride and groom are still married and now have three children! :D

We need a system to reassure the public that any given vehicle is actually taxed, insured and MOT'd.

If I pick a vehicle to drive - that is not mine - I drive the community bus - it's a good check to see that the correct info is there. The public need to know this too.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

There were suggestions earlier in this thread that scrapping the paper tax disc would lead to more tax evasion and it seems that's exactly what's happened:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42009111
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

thirdcrank wrote:There were suggestions earlier in this thread that scrapping the paper tax disc would lead to more tax evasion and it seems that's exactly what's happened:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42009111

evasion / forgetfulness...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.