Freddie Far too Flipping fast Flintoff...

karlt

Freddie Far too Flipping fast Flintoff...

Post by karlt »

661-Pete

Re: Freddie Far too F'ing fast Flintoff...

Post by 661-Pete »

Did he engage the services of "Mr Loophole", I wonder?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Another bloody farce, never going to change
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

661-Pete wrote:Did he engage the services of "Mr Loophole", I wonder?

Michael Neofytou,

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/cr ... z3BiFUcQiF

Already being discussed here:

viewtopic.php?p=815687#p815687
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Phil Fouracre wrote:Another bloody farce, never going to change

+1,what do you have to do to prove your not capable of being trusted on the road :twisted:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
TonyR

Re: Freddie Far too Flipping fast Flintoff...

Post by TonyR »

At least 68% of even Mirror readers thought he should have been banned.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Or to look at it another way, Flintoff would have got a 1 year ban I guess, and then back on the road with a clean slate.

In this scenario he has this hanging over him for 3 years in the sense that another offence will undoubtedly mean a ban, and possibly a longer one given the comments of the judge. He can also carry on with his charity work - which I assume was evidenced in court.

Which scenario has a greater likelihood of changing his behaviour?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:....Which scenario has a greater likelihood of changing his behaviour?

The ban,as he was on his last chance,supposedly with 9points on his licence and three previous convictions.It should've been 12months and a fine that matched his income*,£2k?

*IMHO all fines should be income linked.
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:....Which scenario has a greater likelihood of changing his behaviour?

The ban,as he was on his last chance,supposedly with 9points on his licence and three previous convictions.It should've been 12months and a fine that matched his income*,£2k?

*IMHO all fines should be income linked.

Agree with your point about fines (but they are anyway, I believe) and will have to agree to differ (again, IIRC!) re our views on behavioural change.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If nine points and the threat of totting-up didn't stop him, it seems unlikely to me that any number of points and a successful plea of exceptional hardship will have any greater effect. Although the beak told the defendant he wouldn't be able to use the same excuse again, AFAIK that's not the case. If something amounts to exceptional hardship today, unless circumstances change it's exceptional hardship tomorrow.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Exceptional hardship pleas should be required at 9 points - and then the person told that there is no excuse for speeding again - there is no "exceptional" hardship if you are stupid enough to repeat the offence, causing yourself that hardship
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:Agree with your point about fines (but they are anyway, I believe)

If they are they aren't equal enough.

and will have to agree to differ (again, IIRC!) re our views on behavioural change.

If someone keeps collecting points and with a good enough lawyer(which will no doubt cost a packet) and good enough sob story to to fob off a judge* he won't change his behaviour.
A driving ban will make him think again whilst he's inconvenienced for the next six months or so,it's not as if a Bentley owner can't afford a short term alternative to driving himself.
It's also not as if he doesn't know when he's breaking the law or how the penalty system(should)work.

*The 'justice' system is a game being played by those with the money to do so,especially with regard to motoring crime.
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Agree with your point about fines (but they are anyway, I believe)

If they are they aren't equal enough.

Possibly so, but we haven't got the detailed evidence, so whilst we can take a view it's hard to make an informed judgement. The Judge had discretion to fine up to 2.5K AIUI, dependent on means and the details of the case, so this has undoubtedly come out at the lower end - but there will be a reason for the penalty applied.

reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:and will have to agree to differ (again, IIRC!) re our views on behavioural change.

If someone keeps collecting points and with a good enough lawyer(which will no doubt cost a packet) and good enough sob story to to fob off a judge* he won't change his behaviour.

That's also a judgement, of course - the precise point I was making was the balance between a 1 year ban but coming out with a clean licence, as would be the case, vs the certainty of a (a potentially lengthier one - my speculation) ban at any point in the next 3 years if he reoffended. We call it different ways.

reohn2 wrote:A driving ban will make him think again whilst he's inconvenienced for the next six months or so,it's not as if a Bentley owner can't afford a short term alternative to driving himself.
It's also not as if he doesn't know when he's breaking the law or how the penalty system(should)work.

*The 'justice' system is a game being played by those with the money to do so,especially with regard to motoring crime.

I think he's a lucky lad, irrespective of broader questions about the legal system - but this isn't a complex/expensive case in the grand scheme of things. All the Barrister did on his behalf was enter a plea in mitigation which satisfied the Judge under the current rules, where a Defendant must show exceptional hardship. Flintoff stood in the dock and looked contrite, I expect.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

So we'll have to agree to differ then :wink:
W H Auden
beardy

Post by beardy »

the certainty of a (a potentially lengthier one - my speculation) ban at any point in the next 3 years if he reoffended.

Not really, many of those 9 points could well be a few years old themselves. He could even be able to break the speed limit in a few months time, get done and still be under his twelve points.