Crap Cycle Lanes - Now available

rodk

Crap Cycle Lanes - Now available

Post by rodk »

You've seen the website, now buy the book.

Warrington Cycle Campaign's famous website with its Facility of the Month has been transformed into a hardback book showing the 50 worst cycle lanes in Britain.

"Crap Cycle Lanes" is available at just £4.99 with the royalties all going to the Cyclists Defence Fund.

Get a copy now from www.eye-books.com

Best regards

Rod King - Warrington Cycle Campaign
tb

Post by tb »

hello Rod,

I think this book might be preaching to the converted.

Anyone who rides more than 50 miles per month will know that 'cycle lanes' are generally crap and only designed to help the motorist by getting you out of the way.

I do use cycle lanes but they almost always lead to some sort of confrontation with a pedestrian or where the route leads me back on to the road.

I think the book title should be revised, any suggestions ?

I appreciate it's sold for a good cause though.
Fonant

Post by Fonant »

The book isn't preaching to anyone, it's just a good laugh at how stupid some cycle lanes turn out.

Lots of nice photos of "facilities" with daft markings, impossible-to-pass obstructions, etc.

An excellent Christmas present for the cyclist in your life: keep it in the loo for visitors to read too :)
Anthony Cartmell (also known as "admin" when posting in a more official capacity on this Forum)
Kangaroo trike, Windcheetah recumbent, Batavus dutch bike, Dawes Galaxy Twin tandem, Pashley unicycle
http://www.fonant.com – Quality web sites.
rodk

Post by rodk »

tb

Far from preaching to the converted, the whole point of "Crap Cycle Lanes" is to demonstrate to those who don't cycle, just how appalling many of the cycle facilities are.

We can all look at these extreme examples and those who cycle know that such misunderstanding of cyclists needs is rife in cycling facility design.

What annoys us most is that there are small yet not insignificant mistakes in most cycle facilities. These range from tight radius, un-dropped kerbs, lanes you can only get on or off at one point, unmaintained cycleways, obstructions, badly sighted and badly sited lanes.........

In addition there is the matter of the complete waste of money spent on such schemes. I reckon that just the facilities in "Crap Cycle Lanes" cost about £500,000 to put in place. Scales that up across the country and you get into tens of millions.

Most of cycle campaigning is giving people a different perspective on things they do not even think about. Most of it is counter-intuitive to those who do not cycle. Crap Cycle Lanes aims to bring some humour and joy through ridiculing those who tell us they know more about cycle infrastructure design than us cyclists.

Our response from our web site tells us that our "converts" already think they are hilariously funny. Lets hope that Crap Cycle Lanes can spread that mirth a little further.

So, if you know any "unconverted" out there then why not buy them a "Crap" Christmas present this year.

Best regards

Rod King - Warrington