Have you been "advised" by the police?

thirdcrank

Have you been "advised" by the police?

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm interested to get an idea of the number of riders who have recently (say, the last five years) been stopped and advised by the police in the UK over something that wasn't an offence, even if it's been something in the Highway Code such as wearing hi-viz. I'm thinking about things like riding on main roads or being advised to use farcilities. I hope it won't be banished to the oubliette if I include advice about wearing helmets in this.

I'm not looking for cases of enforcement of arguably trivial matters, advice on how to deal with the situation when it occurs or explanations about the cause. These are important in their own right but they have been covered extensively on other threads.
profpointy

Re: Have you been "advised" by the police?

Post by profpointy »

Never on the bike, nor for that matter told off for minor misdemeanours (lights, pavement etc) - though I'm fairly law-abiding.
Been cycling on and off for 40+ years

For info, I don't (these days) wear a helmet, and usually avoid cycle lanes if I can.

Mind you, back in the 80s I was stopped for "routine check sir" in my old car weekly (not an exaggeration). Once with the line "you're strangers in town" - on the A40 in west wales, with a Carmarthen registration plate. I was law abiding in the car too.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Cycling 47 years but NONE....I live in hope :)
They will have to catch me first :lol:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
700c

Post by 700c »

Flagged down for overtaking a car (doing about 5 miles per hour)!

Got a stern talking to by a PCSO, wasting 10 minutes of my time and his time, and his colleagues time.
I sat on my bike the whole while, whilst politely listening to the inane BS spouted...

I went and complained to the local HQ, the PCSO was forced to make a written apology.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Only once, but many many many yonks ago, so it doesn't count.

For the record, it was me and a mate "racing" down Standishgate in Wigan. Must've been doing well over 30mph and we were stopped by a policeman in a car. We were advised to stop riding like that. We were perhaps 15yo at the time.

I have been "advised" by certain motorists to get off the road and onto the farcilities. That doesn't count either. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I haven't but I thought I was about to once. I was crossing the Mendips on the A38 when a copper crossed over to speak to me. I thought he was going to tell me I shouldn't be riding on a main road, but he just wanted to give me the photo he'd taken of me with the speed camera.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Earlier this year I chased down and chastised a police car that had pulled out across me from the far side of the road. I think they were surprised that they couldn't escape me in a 30 mph limit zone. Took over half a mile before they stopped though. I did eventually get an apology from an Inspector bod who did ask me how I wanted to proceed.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

And c couple of years ago at the end of a charity ride coming downhill into Bury St Edmund's I passed two Police with a speed camera. It's a moment I've frequently regretted. If I'd seen them in time I'd have given it some welly down the hill :shock:
mjr

Post by mjr »

Personally no, I don't think so. I have had two cycling police side-by-side comment on how much better my Axa Pico front light was than the silicone blinky lights they had.

KLWNBUG members or meetings sometimes hears tales of riders stopped by police and most of them are only advice (not tickets) which is incorrect (told that you can't cycle on a cycleway, that sort of thing). I suggest we still have enough everyday cyclists here that if they stopped many people for not wearing helmets or hi-vis or that sort of thing, the police would never get more than a few metres from the station in the entire shift! :twisted: They'd also be cautioning at least one non-helmet-wearing PCSO who I suspect might be using their own bike (it's not a black-and-white police one and they're not in the police cycling uniform) to get between between engagements :lol:

I hear a rumour that there have been a couple of incorrect tickets issued recently and details may appear on http://www.norfolk.police.uk/aboutus/yo ... &year=2014 soon.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I've been stopped twice when cycling on dual carriageways.
Once in Milton Keynes for not being on the redways. The fact that they were covered in an inch of hail at the time did not make a difference.
And once going past Prestwick Airport. I was told I should have been on the shared use pavement.
Both times I was doing around 15mph, which I think is to fast for shared use pavements when I'm on my bent trike.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Mick F wrote:I have been "advised" by certain motorists to get off the road and onto the farcilities. That doesn't count either. :lol:

Is that going to or coming home............from the pub :lol:
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I heard the sirens approaching from behind so pulled into the gutter and continued along freewheeling/scooting with one foot on the verge. The lead car in the convoy pulled over adn sternly told me to stop as the minibus and the rest of the convoy sped past. Think the lead car was an ARV :shock:
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Police are NORMAL people.
imagine giving normal people you know those powers.

I have two serving police officers in the family.

I never saw it but one day after firearms training one of them on the way home delighted in showing their family the gun......and the bullets too :?

Thats normal aint it....................

Back on topic -
Been pulled over with no lights so it dont count on here.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Many years ago in the days of the infamous Never Ready lights I was piloting a tandem on a main road when a car pulled out from the right, almost hitting us. We both shouted, the car stopped and the driver and passenger got out. A few heated words as they insisted we had no front light. We invited them to turn it off and when they couldn't we explained that we had wired it to stay on. In the course of the conversation they said they were police officers so we asked for their names and numbers to report their driving but settled for an apology for having cut us up. :D
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Stopped at night on the upright of a T junction as the police car passed on the horizontal.
"Get a light" yelled the passenger, as our dynamo was not lit.
"Its a dynamo" I replied.
"Get it fixed then." But they were gone before I could explain the law.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?