Have you been "advised" by the police?

stork

Re: Have you been "advised" by the police?

Post by stork »

Yes, after I challenged a motorist who'd made a 'punishment pass', and in response to my challenge advised that 'next time' he would try to knock me off my bike.

It happened on this road, where I was heading south-west on the carriageway: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.7674757,0.4025619,3a,75y,228.53h,58.92t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s68Wgb-MwVO4OCFBGxrbeOw!2e0

I'd been riding on the shared-use footway, but I'd joined the carriageway near this point (either by bunny-hopping off the footway opposite the fire station -- which is how I tend to do it if there's a big gap in the traffic -- or by joining at the somewhat inconvenient little entrance visible on Street View).

The officer assigned to the incident did offer strong advice to the motorist, but he also advised me that I should use the cycle path. I pointed out that the cycle path in question is discontinuous after the little entrance, and also that there is no proper way for cyclists to rejoin the carriageway at its end. Not sure that he really got it.

You reach an 'end of route' sign here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.7671987,0.402285,3a,75y,196.72h,67.25t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s84ma3cSerp3yUNeuTSPo0Q!2e0

Then, the shared-use footway restarts here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.7667357,0.4018218,3a,75y,203.93h,61.47t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sB5bg-dy2Dy6uPlaBZLAA0g!2e0

Then it stops for good behind a pedestrian guard rail in the middle of a junction: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.7650493,0.4004566,3a,75y,164.56h,65.75t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s0WmjFWNVZ3GmGErwUf1upw!2e0
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

stork

That's an interesting one because it refers to one of my many hobbyhorses: ie how the authorities interpret the HC advice on farcilities. Fortunately, "No Wrecks" etc in your case, but it may be a pointer to attitudes had you been injured.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Not really, but I do recall, some years ago, cycling towards some lights with a good old-fashioned bobby-on-a-bike (just like this one, in fact) behind me. I stopped at the red as per usual. Mr Plod draws up alongside. "I'm so glad you stopped here," said he. I mumbled something like "well, I always do". He seemed nonplussed at that. Do they really expect the worst in us?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

Not as requested in the last five years, but I was stopped in Richmond Park, because I was "wobbling from side to side and preventing me overtaking". On being asked how much I was "wobbling" the reply was "about a foot" (cycling up hill). At this point I pulled out a copy of the HC already open at the appropraite page (I was young - well, thirty something) and pointed out how many times he was contravening this and that (at that time) it said to expect cyclists to be unable to maintain a straight line "particularly due to adverse wind conditions or poor road surfaces" (it no longer says this :( ). His parting shot was that he didn't care what the HC said, next time he'd "do" me for "reckless cycling.

I've had better interactions with different membersof the police service/force.
niggle

Post by niggle »

Presume you have spotted this one: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=90411 though it sounds like an order was given rather than just advice- power to direct traffic etc???
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

niggle wrote:Presume you have spotted this one: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=90411 though it sounds like an order was given rather than just advice- power to direct traffic etc???

It was comment on that thread which prompted me to start this one. Among other things, it's been suggested that the CTC should issue some sort of guidance on how to deal with this. Before anybody can deal with something, they need an idea of what's happening and how often it happens. When I get a round tuit, I've half a plan to search earlier threads.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

stork wrote:It happened on this road, where I was heading south-west on the carriageway:
In that situation it seems to be all down to that idiotic railing which seems to go on for miles without a break. How on earth are pedestrians expected to cross the road? And of course, it makes it more dangerous for cyclists who prefer to use the carriageway. On a single-carriageway road, presumably 30mph limited in a residential area, it seems nonsensical.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
drossall

Post by drossall »

AlaninWales wrote:... it said to expect cyclists to be unable to maintain a straight line "particularly due to adverse wind conditions or poor road surfaces" (it no longer says this :( )...

Rule 213 does mention care passing cyclists who may be forced to change direction by poor surfaces.
Tizme

Post by Tizme »

Never been stopped by the Police, but then again, for the first time in about a year I was actually passed by one on my commute to work this morning, tore past me, but then again it was 05:45, so I expect he was in a hurry to get back to the station to knock off :D
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

We're relatively lucky here with our police.
http://road.cc/content/news/130546-kent ... uting-road
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

thirdcrank wrote:
niggle wrote:Presume you have spotted this one: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=90411 though it sounds like an order was given rather than just advice- power to direct traffic etc???

It was comment on that thread which prompted me to start this one. Among other things, it's been suggested that the CTC should issue some sort of guidance on how to deal with this. Before anybody can deal with something, they need an idea of what's happening and how often it happens. When I get a round tuit, I've half a plan to search earlier threads.

I've now done a few searches of earlier threads without a lot of success. One rider posted about two incidents within a few months:

viewtopic.php?p=731976#p731976

viewtopic.php?p=756165#p756165

At the time, I thought that the first of those might be an extreme example of what was happening in London, but I don't think there were other reports. Anyway, for somebody who had only recently introduced themselves as new to cycling, not a very encouraging introduction to the activity.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
As some one who grew up youngest in a large mainly abusive family, I tend to think that bullying vunerable individuals comes from personal insecurity and a inferiority complex and or boredem.

If you are experienced and stand your ground it draws out that nasty edge in the abuser / authority to the point of extreme disproportionate actions, which end in lies and backing down when they are shown the errors of their actions.

As I said I have only ever been stopped for no lights the once.
Reading stories here might make you think its all around but maybe in reality personally its rare.

I do live in a semi rural area so unlikely to rub shoulders with police cars, I did dable with one the other day but he swapped lanes before I could overtake him :) I wonder what he would of done If I passed him on my bike :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
661-Pete

Re: Have you been

Post by 661-Pete »

TonyR wrote:We're relatively lucky here with our police.
http://road.cc/content/news/130546-kent ... uting-road

Before I clicked on that link, I thought it referred to some happening in "Kent" rather than "Kentucky", because of the way the link is shortened. In a way I'm relieved that it's actually a trans-pondian issue. All it tells me, then, is that our 'cousins' have a fairly steep hill to negotiate before they even catch up with us Brits - not to mention our European neighbours!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Can't remember being stopped while cycling but I was driving a van in a bus lane in London when a motorcycle cop pulled me over (more than 20 years ago).

"Hey, can't you read? That is a bus lane, get aaaht of it!" he shouted. He did just the right thing, took a few seconds, he didn't bother talking gently to me and offering therapy or showing unjustifed "respect". He didn't fine me (that would have been justified). This incident (among others) sensitised me for traffic law enforcement. Would it work for you? Would it work for the "average motorist"? I fear not.

Another time I was stopped by West Mercia police for driving too slowly, I am proud of that. Never been stopped for going too fast.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies