Removal of anti-cycling gates. How?

gaz

Re: Removal of anti-cycling gates. How?

Post by gaz »

PRoW officer has responded and agrees the brace should be removed.

There is a motorcycle problem on the path which sports various "police will crush if caught" type notices. Of course the A-frame itself doesn't stop them and the police aren't there to enforce their notices.

The brace is possibly a nimby addition but IMO the likely target is the motorcycle problem.

I'll take the 18" stillsons to it tomorrow morning to see if they'll shift the nut past the peening, if that fails I'll have more time later in the week to return with a hacksaw.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

gaz wrote:Resurrecting an old thread.
Came across an addition to a local A-frame today. DSCN0852a.jpg

Sigh! That's the sort of thing that makes it difficult to plan a long-distance tour that relies on 'official' cycle routes.
Thanks for your efforts gaz.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mistik-ka wrote:
gaz wrote:Resurrecting an old thread.
Came across an addition to a local A-frame today. DSCN0852a.jpg

Sigh! That's the sort of thing that makes it difficult to plan a long-distance tour that relies on 'official' cycle routes.
Thanks for your efforts gaz.

Yes, thanks gaz. It doesn't make it difficult, but hacksaws aren't the easiest things to carry, it slows one down and really shouldn't be necessary in a civilised country.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

You'd need a bit more than a hacksaw for this one:
https://www.cyclestreets.net/location/87429/
One for those who think councils don't spend enough on cycling.
Toffee

Post by Toffee »

Pete Owens wrote:You'd need a bit more than a hacksaw for this one:

You have to just ask why? That bridge is certainly wide enough.
RickH

Post by RickH »

There's only 2 bolts holding the gate in place - they would be the easiest target for "remedial" action! :twisted:
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
deckertim

Re: RE: Re: Removal of anti-cycling gates. How?

Post by deckertim »

gaz wrote:PRoW officer has responded and agrees the brace should be removed.

There is a motorcycle problem on the path which sports various "police will crush if caught" type notices. Of course the A-frame itself doesn't stop them and the police aren't there to enforce their notices.

The brace is possibly a nimby addition but IMO the likely target is the motorcycle problem.

I'll take the 18" stillsons to it tomorrow morning to see if they'll shift the nut past the peening, if that fails I'll have more time later in the week to return with a hacksaw.

I do rather despair at the fact that this is on National Cycle Network 1, which surely should be the best cycle track in the land! Well done Gaz

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my MotoG3 using hovercraft full of eels.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Toffee wrote:

You have to just ask why? That bridge is certainly wide enough.

I don't think I've seen those used in recent years. It looks like its been there a long time. There was a period of about five years when they were considered useful, until the obvious drawbacks were pointed out. Chances are it is on a very long list of "things to do" for some Parks Department.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Nope it is a brand spanking new barrier built and installed as part of a several million pound project funded by the local sustainable transport fund.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Pete Owens wrote:Nope it is a brand spanking new barrier built and installed as part of a several million pound project funded by the local sustainable transport fund.

In that case, it is of a design rejected by one of my former employers (a Groundwork Trust) in the 1990s because of the difficulty caused to wheelchair users, tandem riders, etc. The Highways Authority took the same view and went round replacing things like that with less troublesome alternatives like bollards as and when funding became available. I'm surprised and disappointed that kissing gates are still being installed on anything other than a simple footpath.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Never mind tandems, it doesn't look as if you could even get a solo through there. What is it actually meant to do?
pwa

Post by pwa »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Never mind tandems, it doesn't look as if you could even get a solo through there. What is it actually meant to do?

kissing gates are most often seen of public footpaths in rural situations where cycling is not allowed and the rest of the path is too rough for pushchairs, etc. In those situations they are an easier alternative to a stile, keeping the cows in whilst letting people pass. In this instance it looks like bicycles are intended to pass, with cyclist dismounted. Not convenient, certainly. Mobility scooters would have real difficulty. Tandems would have to be lifted over (been there, done that on the Way of the Roses route). I wonder if there are cattle or horses on the inside. Then it might make some sense.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

pwa wrote:I wonder if there are cattle or horses on the inside. Then it might make some sense.

You didn't look at the street view?

How does it ever make sense to block a cycle route with a kissing gate? If there are animals, they can build a kissing gate big enough for tandems? Or use a double gate system with springs on the gates to pull them latched?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Or a cattle grid. My question was both rhetorical and serious: I presume the official explanation would be that it's to keep motorbikes out and is in line with DfT Advisory Note blah-blah-blah, but the other reason - the one local councillors might get beaten about by ranty letter writers - is to slow down (or keep out) cyclists from the dog-walking zone.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Vorpal wrote:
pwa wrote:I wonder if there are cattle or horses on the inside. Then it might make some sense.

You didn't look at the street view?

How does it ever make sense to block a cycle route with a kissing gate? If there are animals, they can build a kissing gate big enough for tandems? Or use a double gate system with springs on the gates to pull them latched?

It would be interesting to hear from the person who decided that was the best option for that site. If there are animals they must be large (cows, horses) to be blocked by that gate. I agree that the street view does not make that look likely. On gates designed purely to keep animals in the standard option is a so-called two-way self-closing gate, that can open in either direction and closes itself through gravity. But they do need regular upkeep and when they fail to close properly you get horses all over the place.