Removal of anti-cycling gates. How?

Vorpal

Re: Removal of anti-cycling gates. How?

Post by Vorpal »

Double gates are less likely to leave animals roving about.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
gaz

Post by gaz »

DSCN0855a.jpg

The stillsons wouldn't do it, the threaded rod just flexed. Back today with the hacksaw ,that made short work of it.

A passing dog walker who saw me sawing away asked if I'd been sent to do it or if I was just another disgruntled cyclist, she'd met a few cursing about it since it had appeared.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
mjr

Post by mjr »

gaz wrote:The stillsons wouldn't do it, the threaded rod just flexed. Back today with the hacksaw ,that made short work of it.

You seem to have missed some of the barrier ;-)

gaz wrote:A passing dog walker who saw me sawing away asked if I'd been sent to do it or if I was just another disgruntled cyclist, she'd met a few cursing about it since it had appeared.

Did the dog walker limbo, or go no further?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
gaz

Post by gaz »

mjr wrote:You seem to have missed some of the barrier ;-)

Whoops, oversight on my part :wink: . The dog walker did mention that the brace was fairly pointless as an attempt to stop motorcycles as the gate alongside can be forced open, something I've seen myself from time to time.

mjr wrote:Did the dog walker limbo, or go no further?

She'd already ducked on her outward journey and did the same coming back as I hadn't quite finished.

She was happy to see it gone.

I'd half expected an argument with somebody but I didn't even have to produce the printed e-mail chain granting me permission.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

gaz wrote:Back today with the hacksaw ,that made short work of it.

Our hero :D :!: :D :!: :D :!: :!: :!:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

gaz wrote:
mjr wrote:You seem to have missed some of the barrier ;-)

Whoops, oversight on my part :wink: .

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

I only wish.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

pwa wrote: I wonder if there are cattle or horses on the inside. Then it might make some sense.

Nope, It is an urban park with a stream running down the middle of it. The bridge just connects the two halves of the park - and provides a route for a recently constructed cycle route running east-west across Warrington.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

pwa wrote: The Highways Authority took the same view and went round replacing things like that with less troublesome alternatives like bollards as and when funding became available.

The trouble is that the less troublesome bollards were put in place a long time ago - before it was a cycle route.
https://www.cyclestreets.net/location/87431/
Having been given millions to create a cycle route they must have felt the need to invest in something more substantial.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Pete Owens wrote:
pwa wrote: The Highways Authority took the same view and went round replacing things like that with less troublesome alternatives like bollards as and when funding became available.

The trouble is that the less troublesome bollards were put in place a long time ago - before it was a cycle route.
https://www.cyclestreets.net/location/87431/
Having been given millions to create a cycle route they must have felt the need to invest in something more substantial.

And it does look like a backward step to the early 1990s when things like that were more widely used. Disappointing.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I think it has been mentioned earlier that there has been an open barriers trial on the Fallowfield Loop in South Manchester.

The final report on the trial has now been published (PDF here) recommending that the open barriers should be permanent. :) Survey responses were overwhelmingly positive.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
pwa

Post by pwa »

RickH wrote:I think it has been mentioned earlier that there has been an open barriers trial on the Fallowfield Loop in South Manchester.

The final report on the trial has now been published (PDF here) recommending that the open barriers should be permanent. :) Survey responses were overwhelmingly positive.

I'll have a look at that later.

I subscribe to the theory that anti-motorcycle measures that may be needed on new tracks may not be needed after a period of time in which a custom or culture of non-motorised use becomes established. Just a theory but it makes sense to me.
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

i'll be out there this afternoon pwa, i'm the one in the red hat, say hi!

out of all the barriers i've encountered i rate these on the loop as the most convenient. sure i have to dismount, but then i just have to wheel it through on the back wheel.

not sure how wheelchair users might manage though.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Wheeling it through on the back wheel sounds pretty inconvenient for anyone with luggage, or kids in a trailer or on a child seat, too.
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

i hadn't considered those, and it's not like their niche

to be fair though, there's pictures of recumbents (plural!!) in the pdf, and they're raving about disabled access, so i started to think i've been going about things the wrong way.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Yeah, there's lots of nice photos in the pdf, from a brief glance. :D But presumably those are from when the barriers had been removed.