a bit of good news: bit of a smoking ban ..

kwackers
Posts: 15464
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: a bit of good news: bit of a smoking ban ..

Postby kwackers » 12 Feb 2015, 10:30pm

Heltor Chasca wrote:An interesting way to educate people Kwackers

It was meant to be metaphorical - perhaps I should have added a winky or something rather than assuming the meaning was clear.
Are these the types of people who don't listen to any form of formal authority? Guidelines aren't going to make a difference to them. Come on.

No, primarily it gives a grounding for social pressure and raises awareness.
Despite all the stuff you read to the contrary and despite the lack of policing a lot less people use mobiles in their cars than used to. At it's peak it was silly, now I see just the odd one.
A lot of 'reasonable' people just need the prompting, with luck social pressure will do the rest. Personally I'd rather that than really require it to be policed - and if any folk don't, then we'll drag them out and give them a kicking. ;)

kwackers
Posts: 15464
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: a bit of good news: bit of a smoking ban ..

Postby kwackers » 12 Feb 2015, 10:37pm

Tonyf33 wrote:it's an utterly futile & pointless law that will achieve ZILCH

Pointless? What, has in we shouldn't try to protect children?
I don't really get your point, are you saying that if the chances of a law being policed are low then we shouldn't have it?
That would apply to an awful lot of laws. We could say goodbye to a lot of traffic laws immediately but if you're right then it wouldn't matter because the reason a decent number of people must obey them is because they want to right? I mean they can't actually be obeying them because not to do so is illegal can they?
Or perhaps this only applies if it's something you don't agree with?

User avatar
DaveP
Posts: 3333
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 4:20pm
Location: W Mids

Re: a bit of good news: bit of a smoking ban ..

Postby DaveP » 13 Feb 2015, 12:21am

RickH wrote:Some folk may be more in control of their vehicles


And others might be more stressed out than they are at present. This could be good for the kids, but its a mixed blessing for other road users,


kwackers wrote:[The idea that it can't be enforced and therefore it shouldn't be made into a law is imo nonsense.


The underlying argument is that making laws which are not then enforced tends to undermine the perceived importance of the Law generally. Works for me...
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!

kwackers
Posts: 15464
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: a bit of good news: bit of a smoking ban ..

Postby kwackers » 13 Feb 2015, 8:32am

DaveP wrote:
kwackers wrote:[The idea that it can't be enforced and therefore it shouldn't be made into a law is imo nonsense.


The underlying argument is that making laws which are not then enforced tends to undermine the perceived importance of the Law generally. Works for me...

Except of course that there is some enforcement, may not be enough but it exists.
Policing smoking in cars with kids in is very similar to policing mobile phones. We all like to put forth anecdotes about phone use but the reality is that it has fallen and more importantly it's seen as anti-social.
So I'd say it's a success - particularly if you think about how little enforcement there's been. Yes we'd like more enforcement and yes things could be better but there's no doubt in my mind that had things carried on the way they were heading before the law was changed nobody would think twice about making calls whilst driving.

User avatar
DaveP
Posts: 3333
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 4:20pm
Location: W Mids

Re: a bit of good news: bit of a smoking ban ..

Postby DaveP » 14 Feb 2015, 12:09pm

You'll have to overlook my cynicism.
I drive trucks. Smoking in trucks was banned years ago as part of the ban on smoking in the workplace.
I suppose smoky cabs are a little less common than they used to be.
Interestingly, dog ends are rarely found in dashboard ash trays these days.
I'm not sure just how much of an all round improvement that represents....
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!

Psamathe
Posts: 12259
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: a bit of good news: bit of a smoking ban ..

Postby Psamathe » 16 Mar 2016, 12:29pm

So a new law and 3 months later the Police declare it is cannot be enforced.

3 months after the law came into effect and no fines, no court summons, zilch.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/smoking-ban-for-drivers-with-children-cannot-be-enforced-police-say-a6932376.html

Ian

beardy
Posts: 3382
Joined: 23 Feb 2010, 4:10pm

Re: a bit of good news: bit of a smoking ban ..

Postby beardy » 16 Mar 2016, 1:16pm

It may have had a good effect anyway, despite that.
Some people out there will have stopped doing it just because it is forbidden by the authorities, even if not enforced. People are different. Some stop because they care about their children, some stop because they have been told it is a crime and other stop because they are afraid of punishment.

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 14917
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: a bit of good news: bit of a smoking ban ..

Postby Cyril Haearn » 18 Mar 2016, 12:28pm

anyone been to Ireland recently? It used to be the classic country for smoky pubs. Now smoking has been banned and the law is observed.

The law led the way and was succesful.

Hope they soon ban beer in pubs too, then I can visit one :-))
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

JohnW
Posts: 6450
Joined: 6 Jan 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Yorkshire

Re: a bit of good news: bit of a smoking ban ..

Postby JohnW » 23 Jun 2018, 1:34pm

Mike Sales wrote:Shouldn't the pollution motor vehicles pump out of their exhausts in much larger quantities be tackled first?


+1 to that, but we're both in danger of being burned at the stake as heretics.

Mike's point does come under the banner of campaigning for the benefit of cyclists.

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 14917
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: a bit of good news: bit of a smoking ban ..

Postby Cyril Haearn » 23 Feb 2019, 3:38pm

Has the law led the way? Any convictions?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 10798
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: a bit of good news: bit of a smoking ban ..

Postby Cunobelin » 23 Feb 2019, 3:50pm

Image

JohnW
Posts: 6450
Joined: 6 Jan 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Yorkshire

Re: a bit of good news: bit of a smoking ban ..

Postby JohnW » 23 Feb 2019, 5:27pm

Cunobelin wrote:Image

That's motorists for you.................... :roll:

How fast did you go on the 'Trice' Cunobelin? - you never told us! :lol: :lol: :lol:

JohnW
Posts: 6450
Joined: 6 Jan 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Yorkshire

Re: a bit of good news: bit of a smoking ban ..

Postby JohnW » 23 Feb 2019, 5:33pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:Has the law led the way? Any convictions?

Good question Bryn.

kwackers
Posts: 15464
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: a bit of good news: bit of a smoking ban ..

Postby kwackers » 24 Feb 2019, 11:31am

JohnW wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Has the law led the way? Any convictions?

Good question Bryn.

Making something illegal isn't necessarily about convictions - lets face it we don't actually want convictions!
We simply don't want people to do it.

It's more about changing public perception, turning it into a social fopar.

(And I can't remember the last time I saw someone smoking with kids in the car. So perhaps it works.)

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 10798
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: a bit of good news: bit of a smoking ban ..

Postby Cunobelin » 24 Feb 2019, 7:40pm

JohnW wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:Image

That's motorists for you.................... :roll:

How fast did you go on the 'Trice' Cunobelin? - you never told us! :lol: :lol: :lol:



Tickets were 32 and 38...both in a 15 mph zone