Rumble Strips

Woodbridge Pete

Rumble Strips

Post by Woodbridge Pete »

Not sure if this is the correct forum on the CTC site, but here goes.

The site I work at is fairly large (about 4000 people),about 10% cycle to work and probably a similar number walk or bus, the rest use cars.

Both entrances to the site have recently had rumble strips put down on the approach but only a few metres in front of the security point (DfT guide is at least 50m before the hazard to control). - so what are they tere for apart from panic braking by motorists.

They go the full width of the road, so no smooth route for cyclists (against DfT guide), they have vertical faces greater than DfT 6mm and round off at 17mm (10mm vertical + 7mm rounding), made from the same stuff as white lines, so nice and slippery when wet. They are also placed with a 11cm gap/ I placed my wheel across two strips and had 2mm of space below - does not touch the tarmac.

A number of us have complained, but was met with the response that they employed a local town council to do the workl and expected it to be correct. Well, knowing this town council, they rarely get it right and have the CTC on their back regularly to corrct their errors. We only hope this is corrected soon otherwise they may well have compensation claims (one of the aproaches is from the main road, then you need too be able to show your passcard, whilst braking over the rumble strips.

My suggestion for the moment is to get off and walk, carry bike over rumble strips show pass, remount and go, whilst watching the cars tail back onthe main road.

Any comments ?
Revenge is sweet, but nicer served with custard
2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

Keep holding up the traffic.

I'm sure if you upset the motorists something will be done.

But it might be a cycle ban if you're not careful.

Gazza
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.
hubgearfreak

Re: Rumble Strips

Post by hubgearfreak »

Woodbridge Pete wrote: they employed a local town council to do the workl and expected it to be correct

Any comments ?

apologies to any local government employees, but most right minded people would expect it to be incorrect :lol:
stoobs

Post by stoobs »

Ask the Council for the specs for that type of work, and go from there. Demand them, and the cost, under Freedom of Information.

Locally, the Highways Agency put in two islands in the centre of the A27 trunk road, making the road on one side dangerously narrow. Assuming the Primary Position, I got wiped by an old duffer of a motorist. The initial cost of the islands was £40,000 - each! (That's where your tax goes). Police uninterested.

I checked the online specs, and harassed HA when I found that the islands did not comply, and that they had not followed their own safety assessment processes. They argued against me for months, but I hung on and pointed out what it would cost them if I got killed and my wife and family sued for damages.

Being a firm believer in real experience pushing weak theory and concept aside, I also offered them the loan of my bike to ride through the narrowing, and to video it so that there would be no dispute when they got hit by cars doing 40mph through a 3 metre gap. They declined, but kindly suggested a 2 mile detour involving a large multi-lane roundabout when the council is trying to promote cycling, and this is the only practical route into Worthing for people coming from the north.

I harrassed them more, and pointed out at least 10 specification compliance errors, along with non-compliance to 2 of their safety processes.

They changed the islands last year, to allow more room (probably costing another £80000!).

The islands are only those little double islands with a passage through the centre for pedestrians, and a couple of bollards! Assuming an average UK income of £25000, and tax of about £8000 on that, then it has taken 20 people's tax for a year to pay for them. What a scandalous waste - and they're dangerous.

From this, and contrary to another topic's disccussions, I conclude that Quangos, Government and Councils are NOT always capable of assessing safe speeds or road safety measures. Remember, "Just because a person is in a position of responsibility, does not mean that they act responsibly". Repeat and learn.