Give way lines on on-road cycle Lanes

SA_SA_SA

Give way lines on on-road cycle Lanes

Post by SA_SA_SA »

in another thread, gaz wrote: ....

Staying on the road is no guarantee of avoiding the requirement to "Give Way" to traffic coming from behind you.
Even where there is no junction we must sometimes doff our caps and cede priority to our motorised masters :evil: .

I always wondered if give ways such as the above can mean any thing as long as now combined lane width does not narrow immediately following the give-way (and if it does the cycle lane should simply end much sooner before the road narrows, so that cyclist is unimpeded):

if the car is behind me how can I give way, I will cross the give way before it can pass or vice versa ?
if the car is level with me, I would let it pass, as if in same lane, its overtaking ...

if the road narrows it creates the problem so that should be dealt with by ending the lane sooner minus a give way.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Flinders

Re: Give way lines on on-road cycle Lanes

Post by Flinders »

That's the most insanely dangerous give-way line I've seen in some time. Where is it?
gaz

Post by gaz »

It is here: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Higham ... 12,90,,0,0

It has a matching pair, here: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Higham ... 2,315,,0,0

IIRC they appeared around June 2012.

At the time this was how TSRGD said you should mark the end of a cycle lane (and AFAICT it still is), I was going to raise a complaint to the highway authority until I discovered that they'd done it by the book.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

But the insanely dangerous part isn't the give way at the end - it is the fact that it is far too narrow beforehand - prthicularly through that pinch-point.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

And for a really daft example of an on-road cycle lane giving way try:
http://www.warringtoncyclecampaign.co.u ... il2004.htm
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

There doesn't seem to be a give way triangle.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
FatBat

Post by FatBat »

I think this one trumps that one...

Hopefully the Google Map link comes out properly (https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.680179,-1.738244,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sOlW3O6JVaw6PfYCLSviSRw!2e0)

A narrow cycle lane, in the door zone, which ends with a give way line at a side-road junction. So if one were daft enough to cycle in this, one would have to have to give way to overtaking motor vehicles which are turning left into that side-street (i.e. doing a left-hook). So, you are expected to cycle in the door zone, whilst looking backwards.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Once again there isn't a give way triangle so surely it's just a marker for end of cycle lane not a "Give Way". (Or perhaps it's just "we don't know where to put a cycle lane from this point" marker.) :evil: Highway Code states "Use of cycle lanes is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer." Hmm :roll:. Who writes the Highway Code???
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Nah, it's obviously intended as a give way. Those are give way markings. There's no other reason for the use of the distinctive doubled-dashed lines. Where lanes just end or merge there are no such markings.

As for that section of the HC, the wording IS a mess. It is also a mess the CTC claimed as a victory for its campaigning efforts :lol: :shock: :o :roll:
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

That was most certainly a victory in that the HC now explicitly states that use of facilities is optional - where as the consultation draft instructed us to use them.

OK it didn't go as far as I would have liked and said something like "Avoid using cycle facilities and if you do take extra care as these will almost certainly make your journey more dangerous".
FatBat

Post by FatBat »

During the consultation regarding that change in wording, I asked my MP to ask the Driving Standards Agency for the evidence that cycle facilities "can make your journey safer". The reply was something along the lines of "there is some evidence that advanced stop-lines reduce the accident rate for cyclists", but nothing was offered in support of any other facility (sic). From that, I deduced that no such evidence existed and did try to get my MP to get the DSA to take out statements which they could not back up with evidence. Obviously, I failed. Next time, I'll be more persistent!