Your Favourite Ride of Summer 2017

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
roubaixtuesday

Your Favourite Ride of Summer 2017

Post by roubaixtuesday »

It's the equinox this week, and warm sunshine will soon be but a memory.

What was your favourite ride of the summer of 2017?

I'm going for the Abergwesyn mountain road from Llawrtyd Wells to Tregaron. Beautiful to begin with, then three vicious climbs in close succession, starting with the Devil's Staircase. I reckon it's the hardest road I've ever ridden. We actually started from Abergavenny via the Gospel Pass.
Wonderful.

20170616_161942.jpg
Si

Re: Your Favourite Ride of Summer 2017

Post by Si »

Last time I was there the Devil's Staircase was covered in green slimy stuff...made it even harder if that's possible. Oh and I met the "hell hound of Abergwesyn" - this dog was as tall as my handlebars, it grabbed onto my foot and just ran alongside chewing my shoe as I tried to pedal! Nonetheless, it's a beautiful route!

I had a rather good ride on Sunday...nothing epic about it, just a pleasant 50 miles through Birmingham using lots of the new cycle tracks, met four different groups who we (Big Birmingham Bikes) had helped to start up and get cycling, plus lots of people out on our bikes...it was a bit like a mini Holland at times with all the cyclists. As part of the ride I got to stop and teach a couple of learn to ride sessions, met some lovely people, rode through some beautiful parks and canal tow paths, and got paid for the whole thing :-) Only downside was that the bike shop was shut when I got there....but I guess that saved me some money so there's always an up side.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Si wrote:Last time I was there the Devil's Staircase was covered in green slimy stuff...made it even harder if that's possible. Oh and I met the "hell hound of Abergwesyn" - this dog was as tall as my handlebars, it grabbed onto my foot and just ran alongside chewing my shoe as I tried to pedal! Nonetheless, it's a beautiful route!

I had a rather good ride on Sunday...nothing epic about it, just a pleasant 50 miles through Birmingham using lots of the new cycle tracks, met four different groups who we (Big Birmingham Bikes) had helped to start up and get cycling, plus lots of people out on our bikes...it was a bit like a mini Holland at times with all the cyclists. As part of the ride I got to stop and teach a couple of learn to ride sessions, met some lovely people, rode through some beautiful parks and canal tow paths, and got paid for the whole thing :-) Only downside was that the bike shop was shut when I got there....but I guess that saved me some money so there's always an up side.

no owner? what happened in the end? you get your D lock and give it a clout?
meic

Post by meic »

There always used to be a dog sleeping in the road at the Abergwesyn T junction. It never got up for either my motorbikes, cars or cycles. It hasnt been there for the past few years so I guess it must have died of old age as I have been using that road for a very long time now.
I think it was a large light coloured Labrador to Alsation type thing. Not unusually large though.
Yma o Hyd
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Si wrote:Last time I was there the Devil's Staircase was covered in green slimy stuff...made it even harder if that's possible. Oh and I met the "hell hound of Abergwesyn" - this dog was as tall as my handlebars, it grabbed onto my foot and just ran alongside chewing my shoe as I tried to pedal! Nonetheless, it's a beautiful route!

+1
Coming soon: we love Birmingham! I love the Birmingham accent too

Looking forward to autumn, the best time of year for cycling :D
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Si

Post by Si »

meic wrote:There always used to be a dog sleeping in the road at the Abergwesyn T junction. It never got up for either my motorbikes, cars or cycles. It hasnt been there for the past few years so I guess it must have died of old age as I have been using that road for a very long time now.
I think it was a large light coloured Labrador to Alsation type thing. Not unusually large though.

i think the brute that got me was some variant on great dane. But it must have been at least 15 years back if not more. Back when they used to do the big mtb weekends at the neaudd (sp) arms.
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

Ride to the Sun, for the spectacle of watching the lights of countless riders as they climbed the Devils Beeftub and headed down Tweedsdale, with the added bonus of a midge infested cyclorave in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Whilst not a cycling holiday I enjoyed a few rides in the Yorkshire Dales whilst on holiday back in late May and early June including riding out to Ainderby Steeple to photograph the gravestone of my 5th great-grandfather.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Moodyman1

Post by Moodyman1 »

A group of us did a week's tour of Flanders and Netherlands. Warm and sunny all week and beautiful roads (when they weren't cobbled).
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Probably a ride through the Yorkshire Dales, the pass from Swaledale over Askrigg moor to Wensleydale was great!
Attachments
IMG_20170810_124204890_HDR small.jpg
IMG_20170810_124141551_HDR small.jpg
IMG_20170810_122011828_HDR small.jpg
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

My ride today was very enjoyable even though it was just 30miles through Surrey Kent and Sussex. Ideal weather - not too hot, not too cold, little wind, very sunny and clear. I stopped several times just to admire the view even though it's quite near home. Two more roads I've cycled for the first time. Four sections of downhills where I could reach just over 30mph. :D

It's nice to appreciate what's on my "doorstep" :D I'm not sure if I have a particular favourite, but many have been enjoyable, although I don't cycle far (long distances) by many people's standards.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

Si wrote:just a pleasant 50 miles through Birmingham using lots of the new cycle tracks.

pray tell where Is Si as I rarely see any new ones, but are this more off the road ones ?

as for my fav ride this summer, difficult as so many different ones. But if pushed I did the 150 mile CTC from Stratford racecourse and it was a stunning day, stunning ride and views.

Second would be when I did the dragon devil, all 300km of it but weather was not great

third would be the marmotte where I cut 2 hours off my PB of last year.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Favourite ride this year was the east angles a diy 300k Audax,. created by myself and a friend.Felixstowe to wells onto Sandringham.then home via Thetford. Not much climbing tho.
NUKe

Post by Si »

ianrobo wrote:
Si wrote:just a pleasant 50 miles through Birmingham using lots of the new cycle tracks.

pray tell where Is Si as I rarely see any new ones, but are this more off the road ones ?

well, when i say 'new' its a relitive term. Iirc i went from kingstanding on the north brum route down through witton lakes, brookvale, thenew new bit by the magnate, onto the tame valley canal, then the b& f canal then the grand union to smzll heath, down the cole valley route all the way to the chinn brook reserve, onto the stratford canal, the worcs canal, rea valley/ncn5, highbury park, then back across the centre. via highgate park, onto the canal and i think i came home up the newhall valley route.

Most of this has either been put in or upgraded over thr last few years, makes a great gentle leisure route, although, of course, no where near a dutch commuter network, but leisure riders, just getting into cycling are benefitting.......and the more people we can get onto bikes the more call there will be for proper top notch infra.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

thanks Si and I live in Great Barr so know all those areas. I guess the difference is for commuting I use the direct routes - A34, A38, A45 etc and this is where we need proper infra. Good that things are better in what I call 'off road' and the more the better.