Friend hit

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mercalia

Re: Friend hit

Post by mercalia »

seems to me the lorry driver trying to intimidate so the cyclist just buzzes off and doesnt go to the cops?
pwa

Post by pwa »

mercalia wrote:seems to me the lorry driver trying to intimidate so the cyclist just buzzes off and doesnt go to the cops?

In the moments immediately after an incident like that people are shaken and perhaps say things that they would not say if they cooled down and thought about it more. Luckily nobody was seriously harmed and both parties can go away and put this in their bank of experiences to learn from.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

let's be reasonable , not argue.
I suppose he could be liable if the law decides he was to blame not the lorry driver. 1Why shouldn't he? If some kid scratched your car with his careless riding you would want some payback. Doubt it will come to anything.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

This post seems like a new kind of clickbait too me ........
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
meic

Post by meic »

If some kid scratched your car with his careless riding you would want some payback. Doubt it will come to anything.

This came up some time before. Apparently they are immune from liability because being children they can not be considered negligent. The only (legal) thing that you can do is appeal to their parent's sense of fair play.
Yma o Hyd
Tizme

Post by Tizme »

I was involved in a collision with a car, which strictly speaking was my fault, the vehicle overtook me (although he was exceeding the 30mph speed limit in order to do so) and then had to (with 15-20 seconds) do an emergency stop as the road bridge was too narrow for 2 cars and the car coming the other way had priority - he managed to stop around 1/2 a metre over the stop line. I had assumed (yes my fault) that as he had not braked the bridge was clear, I was unable to stop in time and went in to the back of his car. No damage at all to my bike, which suggests it was my body going over the handlebars was what caused the dent in his rear (estate). My point is, despite me being on the ground with a broken collarbone and clearly dazed, all the driver was interested in was the damage to his car, someone else had to suggest that I might need assistance and to call an ambulance. He also informed me that I had been cycling too fast - the irony that he had broken the speed limit (which actually reduced to 20mph at the bridge) and carry out an emergency stop appeared to elude him.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Tizme wrote:I was involved in a collision with a car, which strictly speaking was my fault, the vehicle overtook me (although he was exceeding the 30mph speed limit in order to do so) and then had to (with 15-20 seconds) do an emergency stop as the road bridge was too narrow for 2 cars and the car coming the other way had priority - he managed to stop around 1/2 a metre over the stop line. I had assumed (yes my fault) that as he had not braked the bridge was clear, I was unable to stop in time and went in to the back of his car. No damage at all to my bike, which suggests it was my body going over the handlebars was what caused the dent in his rear (estate). My point is, despite me being on the ground with a broken collarbone and clearly dazed, all the driver was interested in was the damage to his car, someone else had to suggest that I might need assistance and to call an ambulance. He also informed me that I had been cycling too fast - the irony that he had broken the speed limit (which actually reduced to 20mph at the bridge) and carry out an emergency stop appeared to elude him.

15-20 seconds is probably long enough that it is *strictly* your fault - but that's an overtake and brake test to me, which is not a clear cut fault of the car behind...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pwa

Post by pwa »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
Tizme wrote:I was involved in a collision with a car, which strictly speaking was my fault, the vehicle overtook me (although he was exceeding the 30mph speed limit in order to do so) and then had to (with 15-20 seconds) do an emergency stop as the road bridge was too narrow for 2 cars and the car coming the other way had priority - he managed to stop around 1/2 a metre over the stop line. I had assumed (yes my fault) that as he had not braked the bridge was clear, I was unable to stop in time and went in to the back of his car. No damage at all to my bike, which suggests it was my body going over the handlebars was what caused the dent in his rear (estate). My point is, despite me being on the ground with a broken collarbone and clearly dazed, all the driver was interested in was the damage to his car, someone else had to suggest that I might need assistance and to call an ambulance. He also informed me that I had been cycling too fast - the irony that he had broken the speed limit (which actually reduced to 20mph at the bridge) and carry out an emergency stop appeared to elude him.

15-20 seconds is probably long enough that it is *strictly* your fault - but that's an overtake and brake test to me, which is not a clear cut fault of the car behind...

And lack of empathy for an injured person on the ground says something not very pleasant about the driver.