The 'tragedy' of black boxes...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
kwackers
Posts: 11828
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

The 'tragedy' of black boxes...

Postby kwackers » 13 Feb 2018, 12:25pm

On my way home last night there's a quiet section of road I like to 'fartlek'.

It's a set of lights with a slight downhill in a 30, I push as hard as I can (probably going a little over 30) then it bends to the left, then goes straight for a little while then over a railway bridge with a sharpish right turn all of which is a 20 (with double white lines).
I use my ill gotten speed to climb the bridge standing on the peddles and can usually be a little over 20mph at the apex, I then push hard down into the 30, through a set of lights into a 40 and then try to hold the speed as long as I can.

I did the same again last night then in the 40 I was overtaken by a little red car with a yoof hanging out of the passenger window shouting "get the *bleep* out of the middle of the road" (I was about 1.5m from the kerb and it's a wide and empty road).
He then turned left 50 yards ahead (although I wasn't that far behind him).

I figured I'd check the footage from my tail light camera to see what had pee'd them off.

They're behind me at the lights then as I accelerate down the hill they slowly drop back, catching up slightly coming up to the 20 and the hill and then in the 20 drop right back, by the time I hit the 40 they're nearly 100m further back before slowly catching up, passing me and then turning left.

Very obviously they had a black box fitted and were obeying the speed limit.

The footage was funny for its juxtaposition of the aggressive loudmouth youth keeping to the speed limit and losing ground to a bicycle before finally the speed limit is raised enough for them to catch up and voice their grievance.
Last edited by Graham on 13 Feb 2018, 1:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: So . . . . So . . . . So . . . . & FFE family-friendly edit

Postboxer
Posts: 1332
Joined: 24 Jul 2013, 5:19pm

Re: The 'tragedy' of black boxes...

Postby Postboxer » 13 Feb 2018, 1:51pm

I bet the insurance company would like to hear about it, even if they were obeying the speed limit.

User avatar
Graham
Moderator
Posts: 5516
Joined: 14 Dec 2006, 8:48pm

Re: The 'tragedy' of black boxes...

Postby Graham » 13 Feb 2018, 1:59pm

It is a great shame that all motor vehicles are not fitted with black box recorders.

The motoring voters would squeal like stuck pigs. . . . Anything to avoid being held to account.

brynpoeth
Posts: 6963
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: The 'tragedy' of black boxes...

Postby brynpoeth » 13 Feb 2018, 1:59pm

What does "fartlek" mean?
Cycling? Of course, but it is far better on a Gillott.. Alternative facts welcome

PH
Posts: 5975
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: The 'tragedy' of black boxes...

Postby PH » 13 Feb 2018, 2:01pm

Where's the tragedy?
Oiks shouting out of windows predates car black boxes by many decades, are you suggesting the two are linked?
How do you think they would have been driving if they weren't having their speed recorded?
I'm not in any way trying to justify their behaviour, but I'd rather have an antisocial driver obeying the speed limit than not.

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 15564
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: The 'tragedy' of black boxes...

Postby Vorpal » 13 Feb 2018, 2:12pm

brynpoeth wrote:What does "fartlek" mean?

As far as I known, runners use it to mean varying terrain or inervals, to improve fitness, prevent getting bored, etc.

In Scandinavian languages, it means 'speed play'.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

kwackers
Posts: 11828
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: The 'tragedy' of black boxes...

Postby kwackers » 13 Feb 2018, 2:15pm

PH wrote:Where's the tragedy?
Oiks shouting out of windows predates car black boxes by many decades, are you suggesting the two are linked?
How do you think they would have been driving if they weren't having their speed recorded?
I'm not in any way trying to justify their behaviour, but I'd rather have an antisocial driver obeying the speed limit than not.

The "tragedy" (note the quotes) is the antisocial behaviour reigned in by the forced obedience of the speed limit.

I fear my post hasn't quite got across my amusement at watching idiots in a car being unable to keep up with a bicycle and then essentially complain about it being in the way.
I'm pretty sure had they not had a black box they'd have passed me on the way down the initial hill at speed. Whether they'd have felt the same angst I can't say...

I'm all for black boxes btw, in fact I'd mandate them for all vehicles.

PH
Posts: 5975
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: The 'tragedy' of black boxes...

Postby PH » 13 Feb 2018, 2:20pm

kwackers wrote:The "tragedy" (note the quotes) is the antisocial behaviour reigned in by the forced obedience of the speed limit.

You've lost me, still don't understand where the tragedy is, we must have different definitions of the word.

kwackers
Posts: 11828
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: The 'tragedy' of black boxes...

Postby kwackers » 13 Feb 2018, 2:24pm

PH wrote:You've lost me, still don't understand where the tragedy is, we must have different definitions of the word.

I guess it depends on how you see the situation.

I see it as a yoofs trying for the dizzy heights of Mad Max or Marlon Brando in The Wild One in their little red car but being thwarted by a black box.
The tragedy being the failure of their aspirations.

As I said I've probably failed in my op to get across how it seemed to me - you probably had to be there.
I notice graham has popped up with one of his bizarre quotes so I'm guessing he probably agrees with you...

brynpoeth
Posts: 6963
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: The 'tragedy' of black boxes...

Postby brynpoeth » 13 Feb 2018, 2:28pm

Does the black box make a noise if one tries to exceed the maximum speed limit?
Cycling? Of course, but it is far better on a Gillott.. Alternative facts welcome

kwackers
Posts: 11828
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: The 'tragedy' of black boxes...

Postby kwackers » 13 Feb 2018, 2:41pm

brynpoeth wrote:Does the black box make a noise if one tries to exceed the maximum speed limit?

Not sure, but the insurer sends you regular reports on your driving.
They normally don't just measure speed, they also have accelerometers and measure braking, cornering etc etc.

I was on the train the other day and some woman was complaining about her son being turfed off the scheme. He'd had a final warning and finally they gave him the boot for doing 35 in a 20 (well, they gave him the option of paying another £1500 for continued insurance apparently).
She was outraged because "everyone does 35 in a 20 and if you try to go 20 you just get cars up your *bottom"

(*edited to please graham).

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 9002
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: The 'tragedy' of black boxes...

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 13 Feb 2018, 3:00pm

Hi,
Even without boxes you can experience that especially down hill.
Part of the problem is of course that I can and will exceed the speed limit as I only have myself to worry about or blame.
And that its easier to out corner cars without recklessness but a car would need to be reckless.
Fun when you hit the road speed limit and leave them behind.
I always adjust my speed for the conditions, many used to overtake me coming home from work and say next day, don't you drive slow in the wet, well you do on two wheels don't you, the remark was always on motorcycles.
All car drivers should be made to ride two wheels, you appreciate road holding better.
Priority Is Still 500K In 24......Just Dreaming..............Stay Focused Guys And Keep Sharp.....
You'll Find Me At The Top Of a Hill...............Somewhere

brynpoeth
Posts: 6963
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: The 'tragedy' of black boxes...

Postby brynpoeth » 13 Feb 2018, 3:02pm

brynpoeth wrote:What does "fartlek" mean?
Cycling? Of course, but it is far better on a Gillott.. Alternative facts welcome

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 9002
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: The 'tragedy' of black boxes...

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 13 Feb 2018, 3:07pm

Hi,
kwackers wrote:
brynpoeth wrote:Does the black box make a noise if one tries to exceed the maximum speed limit?

Not sure, but the insurer sends you regular reports on your driving.
They normally don't just measure speed, they also have accelerometers and measure braking, cornering etc etc.

I was on the train the other day and some woman was complaining about her son being turfed off the scheme. He'd had a final warning and finally they gave him the boot for doing 35 in a 20 (well, they gave him the option of paying another £1500 for continued insurance apparently).
She was outraged because "everyone does 35 in a 20 and if you try to go 20 you just get cars up your *bottom"

(*edited to please graham).

One of my pet hates "Everyone does that" that's a self demeaning of the person who says that, sheep come to mind.
35 in a 20 :roll:
Priority Is Still 500K In 24......Just Dreaming..............Stay Focused Guys And Keep Sharp.....
You'll Find Me At The Top Of a Hill...............Somewhere

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 9002
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: The 'tragedy' of black boxes...

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 13 Feb 2018, 3:08pm

Hi,
brynpoeth wrote:
brynpoeth wrote:What does "fartlek" mean?

Foreign :mrgreen: Oldish saying for interval running.
Priority Is Still 500K In 24......Just Dreaming..............Stay Focused Guys And Keep Sharp.....
You'll Find Me At The Top Of a Hill...............Somewhere