AUK Finances

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
meic

Re: AUK Finances

Post by meic »

When it says non-members that is non-members of both Audax and Cycling UK, members of Cycling UK share the discount price.
Yma o Hyd
PH

Post by PH »

mjr wrote:Yet another extra quid each ride for non-members and higher charge for new members all feels a bit like "go away newbies" but you may remember from other threads that I was unimpressed by audaxes (not as unappealing to me as UK sportives though) so I'm probably not the target market.

The main incentive for a new website is to increase the appeal, not just be more visually attractive, but easier to understand, enter and validate. I don't think there's much of a financial barrier to doing them or that the small increases will make any difference, Cycling UK members don't pay the none members surcharge anyway (As CUK insurance covers them)
There is a counter argument for not trying to attract more riders, some of the popular events already sell out fast, others have changed in nature to accommodate more riders, you can't have change without there being losers as well as winners. I have a preference for the simpler events, there's still a wide variety on the calendar, long may that continue.
mjr

Post by mjr »

The surcharge seems more like a discount deal for CUK members because I do have other insurance. That's fine and their choice but I wish they were honest about it and it still makes it feel like AUK isn't for the likes of me.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
hondated

Post by hondated »

PH wrote:
TrevA wrote:I had an email today from the head honcho at Audax UK, saying they have to put their membership fees up to pay for their new website. An increase of £4 to £23 a year. It's likely that ride entry fees might go up as well, as they are increasing costs to organisers. I'll still affiliate as I consider even the increased membership fee good value for money, given that you get 3-4 magazines a year included. A likely £1 increase on ride entries won't bother me either. But I'm wondering if they really needed to spend all that money on a new website? I've read figures of it costing around £400,000 or more, in total, due to cost overruns. I work in IT so I know that developers don't come cheap, but it still seems a lot of money and, to me at least, there's not that much wrong with their current website.

Just a couple of corrections for accuracy - membership renewals are going up from £14 to £18, the £23 is a one off for the first year of membership or renewing if you let it lapse. The increase in ride costs for members is around 30p a ride, the additional £1 is for non members.
The figure I've seen quoted for the website is up to £340,000 of which I think £150,000 has already been committed or spent on the first phase, which had an original estimate of £90,000. The latest figure takes into account that the problems encountered in phase 1 might also need overcoming in phases 2&3, it's also based on all the work being carried out by a contractor, there's now a possibility of volunteers taking over some of it.
It all seems like a lot of money and those with far more knowledge than me are saying it could be done cheaper. Like many volunteer organisations run by a few for the many, most members are probably just glad someone is running it rather than being concerned how well they're doing so. In the same way you'd view a commercial enterprise - if I'm getting value I'm not concerned where the money goes. On that level AUK represents outstanding value, the magazine alone costs £11 a year, event entry is peanuts and for me it's rarely the major expense of doing one (Those being - cafes, transport, accommodation) I expect they'll be some huffing and puffing but come the AGM the majority of members will support the board, much like any other cycling organisation :wink:

Sorry to read that there is going to be a price increase particularly as I only finally joined this year. I have never participated in an Audux and realistically never will but that said after reading how good their magazine is I thought it was worth joining. I am pleased I did because the magazine is, and I am sorry to say this, is far more interesting than the CTC one I use to receive.
I guess like most of us I haven't got money to throw away but I definitely will be renewing my membership when I need to. Hopefully by doing so I will at least in a small way contribute to the club remaining financially viable.
The mag must be good because it's at least got me thinking that I should try and do one Audux but before I do I definitely need to increase my riding speed
slowster

Post by slowster »

hondated wrote:it's at least got me thinking that I should try and do one Audux but before I do I definitely need to increase my riding speed

You might not need to increase your riding speed as much as you think. Slower riders often find that they just need to keep the length of any stops to a minumum (which a lot of riders prefer anyway because it avoids getting stiff after a longer stop and taking a while to warm up again).

Moreover, many audaxers take the view that the perfect audax is one where they get to the finish just within the maximum time, because that means they've had the pleasure of more time riding than those who ride to finish as quickly as possible.

Lastly, there's no shame in failing to finish. Many years ago I entered an audax which in retrospect I had no hope of finishing within the allotted time, but it was still worthwhile and I enjoyed that much of the ride I was able to complete before I had to abandon.
mjr

Post by mjr »

slowster wrote:
hondated wrote:it's at least got me thinking that I should try and do one Audux but before I do I definitely need to increase my riding speed

You might not need to increase your riding speed as much as you think. Slower riders often find that they just need to keep the length of any stops to a minumum [...]

:lol: That seems rather ironic when in my experience the main thing dictating the length of the stops is all the other Audaxers in front of you in the queue at the manned control or only open cafe the route passes in a receipt-controlled place!

Lastly, there's no shame in failing to finish.

Except on here, where some people will demand to know which audaxes you've done to qualify your criticism and object that you're missing from one finish list because you went too slow over the ice to avoid breaking bones and finishing in an ambulance like another participant.

Also, it means someone else gets your soup at the finish. Maybe AUK could fund the website by making the routes tougher and time limits tighter, so there's less food offered and they can pocket the difference?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
hondated

Post by hondated »

slowster wrote:

You might not need to increase your riding speed as much as you think. Slower riders often find that they just need to keep the length of any stops to a minumum (which a lot of riders prefer anyway because it avoids getting stiff after a longer stop and taking a while to warm up again).

Moreover, many audaxers take the view that the perfect audax is one where they get to the finish just within the maximum time, because that means they've had the pleasure of more time riding than those who ride to finish as quickly as possible.

Lastly, there's no shame in failing to finish. Many years ago I entered an audax which in retrospect I had no hope of finishing within the allotted time, but it was still worthwhile and I enjoyed that much of the ride I was able to complete before I had to abandon.

Thanks slowster that's very inspirational.
hondated

Post by hondated »

mjr wrote:
slowster wrote:

You might not need to increase your riding speed as much as you think. Slower riders often find that they just need to keep the length of any stops to a minumum [...]

:lol: That seems rather ironic when in my experience the main thing dictating the length of the stops is all the other Audaxers in front of you in the queue at the manned control or only open cafe the route passes in a receipt-controlled place!

Lastly, there's no shame in failing to finish.

Except on here, where some people will demand to know which audaxes you've done to qualify your criticism and object that you're missing from one finish list because you went too slow over the ice to avoid breaking bones and finishing in an ambulance like another participant.

Also, it means someone else gets your soup at the finish. Maybe AUK could fund the website by making the routes tougher and time limits tighter, so there's less food offered and they can pocket the difference?

:oops:
Interesting mjr. I think it's too many cake stops that's made me so slow. :lol:
horizon

Post by horizon »

pwa wrote:If GPS is to replace manned controls and information controls I suppose the net result could easily be better, more attractive routes, freed from the shackles of having to stick to routes on which corners cannot be cut without missing out a control. That would be worth paying for.

This triggered in me a pang of nostalgia. There's something very English about the officiousness of a control when everyone knows that it relies completely on trust anyway. Pens, cards, bits of paper, human contact - it's what I would go on an Audax for, something visible, tangible and a bit quaint. A bit like a key in a door, a tap you turn on or cash in your pocket. Maybe there will be special Olde Audax days like a day out on a steam railway laid on for people like me. Otherwise it all sounds a bit cold and efficient. Who cares whether it's accurate or not - it's playing the game not winning that counts.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Si

Post by Si »

+1. Info controls make it feel less of a 'thing' for me. Quite often i just ride past and ignore them, but id always stop for a stamp.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Quite a few times I've missed an information control, as they are not always that obvious (to me anyway) and found the answer by asking the person in front of me in the queue, at the next manned control.

If GPS validation is one of the IT upgrades, then it's worthwhile having, but not everyone has a GPS. So you will still need info and manned controls along the route.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
pwa

Post by pwa »

I agree that the traditional way of "proving" you went to point A, B or C is part of the character of Audax, but some routes are less attractive than they could be, and miss out potential small lane sections, because it is impractical to put in all the controls necessary. GPS might eventually free up route design to make better rides.
PH

Post by PH »

mjr wrote:The surcharge seems more like a discount deal for CUK members because I do have other insurance. That's fine and their choice but I wish they were honest about it and it still makes it feel like AUK isn't for the likes of me.

Seems to me you've decided they're not for you and then keep adding the reasons why. A £1 increase after about a decade isn't going to put them out of financial reach for anyone for whom that wasn't already the case. You may or may not have insurance that covers you on Audax events, some policies will have exclusions that don't, AUK can't be expected to check them all. The only exemption is Cycling UK, which reflects the close history between them and that CUK's insurance specifically includes Audax.
PH

Post by PH »

slowster wrote:

+1
Give it go, many of the 100 km rides have a minimum average speed of 8.5mph, I've had leisurely rides round with friends who hadn't previously done much more than ride to work.
mjr

Post by mjr »

PH wrote:
mjr wrote:The surcharge seems more like a discount deal for CUK members because I do have other insurance. That's fine and their choice but I wish they were honest about it and it still makes it feel like AUK isn't for the likes of me.

Seems to me you've decided they're not for you and then keep adding the reasons why. A £1 increase after about a decade isn't going to put them out of financial reach for anyone for whom that wasn't already the case.

I said it's a "go away newbies" message, not a financial hardship, so please stop putting up and knocking down that Aunt Sally. It's almost nothing to do with the complaint.

I'm not adding reasons why - I've challenged requirements to buy double-insurance for other events too - but you're right that I've decided Audaxing is not for me, as I clearly admitted above. I think I will never ride along thinking "this bike ride would be better with more queueing, form-filling and time limits"!

PH wrote:You may or may not have insurance that covers you on Audax events, some policies will have exclusions that don't, AUK can't be expected to check them all. The only exemption is Cycling UK, which reflects the close history between them and that CUK's insurance specifically includes Audax.

Maybe AUK can't be expected to check all insurance, but it seems they check none of them except CUK, so it's a CUK discount in effect - which is fine and it's up to AUK but it also seems unwelcoming to others.