One solution to tailgating?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Grandad

Re: One solution to tailgating?

Post by Grandad »

This is why lorries travel in convoy
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Bonefishblues wrote:I definitely think that drafting (as I prefer to call it) helps my mpg, especially at higher speeds.

Grandad wrote:This is why lorries travel in convoy

And should be one of the benefits of Stage 5(?) autonomous vehicles for lorries, cars, buses etc, when the vehicles are able to communicate to each other their destinations and share sensor inputs (so when the lead vehicle brakes or slows down, the following vehicles react to the thing it is braking for at the same time, rather than to its braking with inevitable delay).
drossall

Post by drossall »

Bonefishblues wrote:I definitely think that drafting (as I prefer to call it) helps my mpg, especially at higher speeds.

It will, for all the same reasons that riding in a group helps when cycling. However, it can be fatal when the front vehicle brakes suddenly. In cycling, risks are lower, riders are taught to communicate, and you can generally see ahead - none of those things apply in driving.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I was on a mischievous fishing expedition last night I must confess :D

However, I would dispute the assertion that visibility's better in a peloton than when following a car - it's actually very limited at rider-eye level, whereas cars typically have see-through windows allowing one's focus to be a couple of cars distant whilst in a line of traffic.

Closely following other vehicles (esp lorries) to maximise mpg is a well-established and effective 'hypermiling' technique though. cf also cycle speed records where record breakers ride inside fairings attached to speeding pace cars.