Keeping to the left

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
brooksby

Re: Keeping to the left

Postby brooksby » 29 May 2020, 12:52pm

simonineaston wrote:It's not like the old days. These days, everyone (under thirty-five, obs.) thinks they're entitled to do anything they like. That Tony Blair started it all off, banging on & on about Choice. Bring back national service, I say. Didn't do John Peel any harm. Everyone needs to know what's expected from them. Rules. Cycling Proficiency. They all think life owes them a living - and a house - and they can get take-away meals DELIVERED TO THEIR DOOR!! Cooked and brought to them by slaves on zero-hour contracts if they're lucky! On bicycles. Keeping to the left... sometimes. Trouble is tho' if you keep stopping at the red lights, the food gets cold. :roll:

Sorry to mess with your hypothesis, but I'm pushing fifty and the gentleman on the bike in my case looked significantly older than me :D :wink:

julianm

Postby julianm » 29 May 2020, 4:56pm

I've recently found many pedestrians walking along minor roads are walking with the traffic instead of facing it. Maybe they are new to the walking experience.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 29 May 2020, 4:59pm

Highway code recommends walking on the other side
Why is it a 'code', has that to do with secrecy? :? :?
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 60097
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

jimlews

Postby jimlews » 29 May 2020, 7:35pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:Highway code recommends walking on the other side
Why is it a 'code', has that to do with secrecy? :? :?

"Code". It goes back to the later Roman Emperors, especially Justinian. A systematic collection or digest of of laws and regulations.

Re: Pedestrians blocking the carriageway:
I find that a cheery "COMING PAST!" is sufficient to clear the way. Then having passed I'll say "THANK YOU!"

Occasionally, a young or old curmudgeon will demand that "YOU SHOULD HAVE A BELL!" To which I reply " TING A LING".

Life is too short to get into an agitation about such trivia.

puffin

Postby puffin » 31 May 2020, 11:16pm

jimlews wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Occasionally, a young or old curmudgeon will demand that "YOU SHOULD HAVE A BELL!" To which I reply " TING A LING".

Life is too short to get into an agitation about such trivia.

Thank you thank you thank you for that gem. It has been placed in my quiver of disarming replies.

Peter F

Postby Peter F » 1 Jun 2020, 6:27am

brooksby wrote:
simonineaston wrote:It's not like the old days. These days, everyone (under thirty-five, obs.) thinks they're entitled to do anything they like. That Tony Blair started it all off, banging on & on about Choice. Bring back national service, I say. Didn't do John Peel any harm. Everyone needs to know what's expected from them. Rules. Cycling Proficiency. They all think life owes them a living - and a house - and they can get take-away meals DELIVERED TO THEIR DOOR!! Cooked and brought to them by slaves on zero-hour contracts if they're lucky! On bicycles. Keeping to the left... sometimes. Trouble is tho' if you keep stopping at the red lights, the food gets cold. :roll:

Sorry to mess with your hypothesis, but I'm pushing fifty and the gentleman on the bike in my case looked significantly older than me :D :wink:

I was trying to work out whether Simon's post was serious or an attempt at humour. I hope it's the latter... :D

brooksby

Postby brooksby » 1 Jun 2020, 2:44pm

Peter F wrote:
brooksby wrote:

I was trying to work out whether Simon's post was serious or an attempt at humour. I hope it's the latter... :D

You may be right, in retrospect...