More drivers cleared after rider's death.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Carlton green

Re: More drivers cleared after rider's death.

Postby Carlton green » 20 Sep 2020, 3:51pm

Perhaps, at long last, there might be a shift in attitudes in progress. It looks like the Government might be going to start punishing reckless drivers more appropriately.

Death by Dangerous Driving (Sentencing) Bill 2019-21

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54141729

https://services.parliament.uk/bills/20 ... ncing.html
Last edited by Carlton green on 20 Sep 2020, 3:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 20 Sep 2020, 3:53pm

White Paper and sentencing discussed here:
https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50829&start=450#p1529436

Is that a separate Bill?

Jonathan

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 20 Sep 2020, 3:56pm

One driver convicted, a second found "not guilty".

English is ambiguous on this: is that simply a quote of the official finding, or implying something else... ?

Jonathan

pwa

Postby pwa » 20 Sep 2020, 4:16pm

Jdsk wrote:
One driver convicted, a second found "not guilty".

English is ambiguous on this: is that simply a quote of the official finding, or implying something else... ?

Jonathan

Nothing implied, just stating the fact that there was one acquittal and one conviction, not two acquittals as implied by the title of this thread. One driver was held to blame.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 20 Sep 2020, 4:16pm

Thanks

Jonathan

rob_wales

Postby rob_wales » 20 Sep 2020, 5:46pm

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but when I drive I always wear polaroid sunglasses when the sun is shining. I never get in the car without them. It doesn't entirely fix the problem, but it makes it much easier to see what is on the road in front of you. From what I've seen of other on-coming drivers not many of them wear sunglasses. Mine are also prescription glasses, so I don't see any excuse for not owning sunglasses.

pwa

Postby pwa » 20 Sep 2020, 7:42pm

rob_wales wrote:Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but when I drive I always wear polaroid sunglasses when the sun is shining. I never get in the car without them. It doesn't entirely fix the problem, but it makes it much easier to see what is on the road in front of you. From what I've seen of other on-coming drivers not many of them wear sunglasses. Mine are also prescription glasses, so I don't see any excuse for not owning sunglasses.

I have tried that, but I find with sunglasses that when I pass beneath the shade of trees I then get flip side of not being able to see well enough because it all goes dark. That's why I don't tend to wear them.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 20 Sep 2020, 8:11pm

Try sunglasses with 'drivers' lenses, not polarised (Polaroid's a brand name, and a very good one, given how ubiquitous is its use!). They really are very good indeed, designed to take away glare, but allow higher light transmission. Revo, Serengeti et al do them.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 20 Sep 2020, 8:25pm

Polaroid and polarised are basically unrelated
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

mikeymo

Re: One driver convicted, a second found "not guilty".

Postby mikeymo » 20 Sep 2020, 10:48pm

pwa wrote:
mikeymo wrote:
Carlton green wrote:so an innocent verdict is conveniently given

Really?

Title alteration to reflect the fact that one of the two drivers was found guilty of causing death by dangerous driving.

That's not the point I was making.

A jury in England & Wales can't return a verdict of "innocent". They can return a verdict of not guilty. That may seem like a nit-picking difference, but it's not.

pwa

Re: One driver convicted, a second found "not guilty".

Postby pwa » 21 Sep 2020, 6:05am

mikeymo wrote:A jury in England & Wales can't return a verdict of "innocent". They can return a verdict of not guilty. That may seem like a nit-picking difference, but it's not.

Okay, I see that there is a difference. But for anyone who has not followed this thread it is worth pointing out that one of the two drivers was convicted in spite of using the defence that they could not see because they had the sun in their eyes.