King Alfred’s Way

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
RodT

King Alfred’s Way

Post by RodT »

I’m planning to ride the King Alfred’s Way, starting on May 15th. If anyone has any recent information about conditions, and any other issues, I’d be grateful to hear it. We’re starting in Salisbury and travelling anti-clockwise, so I’m especially interested in any info on Salisbury to Reading. Hope to book accommodation, not camp.
Thanks very much.
Vorpal

Re: King Alfred’s Way

Post by Vorpal »

Previous threads:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=145613 about camping
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=135016 about GPX files
and viewtopic.php?f=16&t=145571&p=1438135 which has general information, including types of surfaces

Maybe I could merge your thread with the one about general information & surface types?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
RodT

Post by RodT »

Thanks, I’ve looked at these. I just wondered if anyone had any recent experience of the route.
Zulu Eleven

Post by Zulu Eleven »

RodT wrote: 5 May 2021, 2:52pm I’m planning to ride the King Alfred’s Way, starting on May 15th. If anyone has any recent information about conditions, and any other issues, I’d be grateful to hear it. We’re starting in Salisbury and travelling anti-clockwise, so I’m especially interested in any info on Salisbury to Reading. Hope to book accommodation, not camp.
Thanks very much.

The route is designed to be ridden clockwise

The climbs work better clockwise
The descents are better clockwise

It’s simply better clockwise (and, indeed, better ridden from Winchester)

Whole route is running fast and dry at the moment, but that means hard and bumpy, especially along the ridgeway
RodT

Post by RodT »

Duh. I meant clockwise. I’m starting from Penzance. The train journey to Winchester takes over 6 hours, involves two changes and costs about £120. It’s a lot easier to get to Salisbury.
Maybe I should wait for the West Kernow Way to open.
Running fast and dry is good. I hope it stays that way. It’s raining in Kernow today.
billybunter

Post by billybunter »

We did this route on 17 May week

The route is very much affected by weather conditions i.e. rain
Lots of ruts with water in, some with slippery clay

Was quite hard work staying upright