Not just any off (multiple broken ribs)

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cowsham

Re: Not just any off (split from Giro D'italia topic)

Post by Cowsham »

gbnz wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 9:12pm
Cowsham wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 7:46pm
Oh sorry, it was much easier for me injuries being stretched out over several months (Nb. 2 No. shoulder blades, 1 no. collar bone, several ribs total, slight crack to skull, heavy concussion for a good few weeks after one incident).
Was that with a helmet ? -- mine probably stopped me getting a nasty knock on my head but I think the brunt of the force was to my shoulder and back.

Had a nasty knock ( knocked out briefly ) to the head before from a bike fall but that helmet didn't fit as well and straps weren't tight enough so it slid up on impact.
I am here. Where are you?
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

No helmet, though need to get one (Nb. Went to the expense of buying one last year, but it fit so poorly ended up chucking it in the bin)
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Worth spending a bit of time finding the right one and that it's comfy
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

HI,
Might of missed back post, are you seeing / advice from a physio?
When I could not walk went to physio and admit that getting on and off the floor (some are on the floor / bed) was more painful than the exercises, but it got me moving, and yes it hurts more before it gets better.

I.M.O.
Physio because it targets by isolation correct groups etc is the way forward.
Might be that your sort of injurie has no benefit from physio? You might well have already mentioned breathing etc, which is a form of physio...
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 12:12pm HI,
When I could not walk went to physio and admit that getting on and off the floor (some are on the floor / bed) was more painful than the exercises, but it got me moving, and yes it hurts more before it gets better.

I.M.O.
Might be that your sort of injurie has no benefit from physio? You might well have already mentioned breathing etc, which is a form of physio...

Yes going to seek physio as soon as I get a chance -- back in hospital to investigate another anomaly related to the crash -- I think.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Cowsham wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 1:18pm
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 12:12pm HI,

I.M.O.

Yes going to seek physio as soon as I get a chance -- back in hospital to investigate another anomaly related to the crash -- I think.
All good they let me out. :D
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Cut the grass today -- nearly an acre of it but I use a ride on mower so maybe that's cheating.

The grass box still needed tipped into trailer every lap so not completely effortless.

Then I came in and put on the dinner.

Feeling a lot better but still got a fair bit of pain around the middle left side of my back.

Got quite a bit more use of my left arm without over stressing that collar bone .. been for two walks today --

walking seems to bring on the rib pain at the back more than most activities.

Determined to keep moving. Still no pain killers
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Cowsham wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 8:16pm Cut the grass today -- nearly an acre of it but I use a ride on mower so maybe that's cheating.

The grass box still needed tipped into trailer every lap so not completely effortless.

Feeling a lot better but still got a fair bit of pain around the middle left side of my back.

Got quite a bit more use of my left arm without over stressing that collar bone .. been for two walks today --

What have the NHS said about moving? Is it the case that it's best to keep bones the bones still, until they're completely healed (Nb. Whereas I've always presumed that some movement of muscles post trauma is beneficial)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

In the absence of specific advice:
• Mobilisation is excellent. (And for eg people who like to cycle this might mean doing something else.) In general you can't keep bones completely still. (Fractures need to be held still to allow repair, but you should have specific advice for fractures.)
• Don't push through pain.
* Early use of analgesics can reduce the total amount needed. With injuries that are going to take some time to recover it's worth studying the effects and side-effects of different analgesics and keeping notes: become an expert in your own condition.

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

gbnz wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 8:32pm
Cowsham wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 8:16pm Cut the grass today -- nearly an acre of it but I use a ride on mower so maybe that's cheating.

What have the NHS said about moving? Is it the case that it's best to keep bones the bones still, until they're completely healed (Nb. Whereas I've always presumed that some movement of muscles post trauma is beneficial)

They used to strap fractured ribs up but they don't do that anymore.

I have had a few days where I've sat most of the day in the recliner simply cos I could bear the pain in a certain position.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jdsk wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 8:40pm In the absence of specific advice:
• Mobilisation is excellent. (And for eg people who like to cycle this might mean doing something else.) In general you can't keep bones completely still. (Fractures need to be held still to allow repair, but you should have specific advice for fractures.)
• Don't push through pain.
* Early use of analgesics can reduce the total amount needed. With injuries that are going to take some time to recover it's worth studying the effects and side-effects of different analgesics and keeping notes: become an expert in your own condition.

Jonathan
The first week spent in hospital began by laying in an inclined bed with the nerve block getting topped up every 12 hours along with iv paracetamol and morphine pump.

The anesthetist got too busy on day 3 and I didn't get my over night top up so I found I could get through a night without the horrendous back spasms and decided next day to refuse the top up.

Other pains and breathing was easier when I sat in a chair with big pillows behind me so the rest of my time in hospital except the very last night was spent sleeping in the chair. I did try to keep moving and walked as much as I could while in hospital.

I think trying to cycle on week two was a mistake and probably would have been better doing very little.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Sorry to hear it Cowsham get well soon!

I couldn't decide to bike or run this afternoon but now I think you've persuaded me to run!

Cheers James
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Thanks James
Godzy89

Post by Godzy89 »

This is some post !
Keep up the recovery and hope you get moving soon 👍👍🤞🤞

John
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Thanks John