How many crashes this year?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Marcus Aurelius

Re: How many crashes this year?

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Jdsk wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 1:16pm As discussed here?
viewtopic.php?p=1473523#p1473523

Very interesting.

Jonathan
Yep, that’s the one. It was interesting to see someone doing exactly the same thing I had happen, a few seconds into the video.
Darkman

Post by Darkman »

Switched to clipless pedals this year. Half a dozen or so uneventful rides, then dropped it twice, driveside - on the same ride. Pretty impressive.

Didn't realise and continued for over 20 miles, but the mech hanger was slightly bent. Dropped into a granny gear on a climb, threw the chain over the back of the cassette. Chain snapped, end of ride.

Pretty miserable day, all round!
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Darkman wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 10:11pm Switched to clipless pedals this year. Half a dozen or so uneventful rides, then dropped it twice, driveside - on the same ride. Pretty impressive.

Didn't realise and continued for over 20 miles, but the mech hanger was slightly bent. Dropped into a granny gear on a climb, threw the chain over the back of the cassette. Chain snapped, end of ride.

Pretty miserable day, all round!
Bummer -- at least it's an easy part to get usually -- were you able to repair the chain roadside -- how did you get home?
I am here. Where are you?
Darkman

Post by Darkman »

Cowsham wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 8:40amwere you able to repair the chain roadside
Probably. I regret it now, but by the time rational thought regained control I'd already launched the chain across a field. The day I'd had, the bike was lucky it didn't get thrown after it. (We had to have our 16 year old cat put to sleep that morning, so my mind wasn't really on the job from the beginning).
how did you get home?
Had to call the missus to fetch the car. Luckily I'd already finished most of the ride, despite everything, and was only four or five miles from home.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Darkman wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 1:10pm We had to have our 16 year old cat put to sleep that morning, so my mind wasn't really on the job from the beginning
Sympathy. That would have been enough for me without all of the other stuff :cry:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Benz3ne wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 8:20pm This might be a fun one!
How many crashes/falls have you had this year?
Any put you out for any length of time? Bike damage? You name it!
When I was 11 or 12, I hit a parked car because I was not paying enough attention to where I was going. When I was 16, I was forced into a ditch by a bad overtake. Then, I went years without any offs, but came off once on ice in 2010 or 2011.

I've had a couple of minor incidents & fell over once trying to get on my bike :lol: I don't think I have had an off or crash that damaged a bike since I was a kid. (I'm supposed to touch wood, or something, here, right? :wink: )
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Vorpal wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 3:39pmI'm supposed to touch wood, or something, here, right?
"Naturligtvis inte. Men jag har hört sägas att en hästsko kan bringa tur även ät folk som inte är vidskepliga."

Jonathan
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

Just the one and had to say goodbye to an old friend we have been together for 23 years with only 60,000 on the clock,
it was not my fault.
Rust in Peace
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

yakdiver wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 4:24pm Just the one and had to say goodbye to an old friend we have been together for 23 years with only 60,000 on the clock,
it was not my fault.
Rust in Peace
I'd have knocked that dent out and drove on or was it your 23 year old bike that made that dent?
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

Eugh, an early one to kickstart this years' tally.
Yes, I know bikes shouldn't typically be on pavements, but it is far safer (in my opinion) in this particular area instead of hopping onto the dual carriageway (speed limit, 40mph, more often people do 60+).
Coming up to a familiar (seldom used) bus, stop, and there were a couple of people waiting at it. One, notably, decided to wait between the pavement and the bus stop. It's fairly narrow at that point, too.
On approaching, I called in front asking them (politely) to move. They did not. Axle-standing, I asked them to move again (a little louder, still with a 'please' at the end). They did not. I asked, considerably louder, that they move. They did not, nor at any point did they turn around to notice me.
I changed course, hopped towards the road onto the bus' layby to get around the few people, most of whom were looking at me by this point, and merge back onto the pavement.
In merging back on, front wheel went up fine, back wheel did not, it caught the kerb and I tumbled onto my right-hand side. Unfortunately, I had decided to forego gloves as they were damp from yesterday's commute so I'm now sporting a 'nice' scrap on my palm. Same goes for me knee. Add to that an achy shoulder and in less than 30 seconds, my otherwise enjoyable cycle to work was ruined for me.
Regardless, I dusted myself off, bottled up a little bit of frustration and finished off my cycle.

Yes, I know I'm at fault here, at least in part. The crash itself was my fault, but I feel it could've been avoided has the person in question stood at the bus stop and not in the middle of the pathway. I reckon headphones were involved.

I'll do more practice mounting and dismounting kerbs, I think.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Benz3ne wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 9:28am
In merging back on, front wheel went up fine, back wheel did not, it caught the kerb and I tumbled onto my right-hand side. Unfortunately, I had decided to forego gloves as they were damp from yesterday's commute so I'm now sporting a 'nice' scrap on my palm. Same goes for me knee. Add to that an achy shoulder and in less than 30 seconds, my otherwise enjoyable cycle to work was ruined for me.
Commiserations. Glad no major damage done. Those palm scrapes can be really sore, and a bu99er for us professional-level viola players! ; -)

As I often mention in h**m*t threads, I've had more accidents (over 40+ years) where simple gloves would have saved an annoying injury, than where a plastic hat would. And I wear gloves on almost every ride!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Benz3ne wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 9:28amYes, I know I'm at fault here, at least in part. The crash itself was my fault, but I feel it could've been avoided has the person in question stood at the bus stop and not in the middle of the pathway. I reckon headphones were involved.
Thanks for sharing. Other people's misfortunes can be very helpful in thinking about our own behaviour. And I suspect that posting it in public sometimes helps the crasher.

But I'm not sure what you mean by:
Benz3ne wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 9:28am One, notably, decided to wait between the pavement and the bus stop. It's fairly narrow at that point, too.
Is that on the pavement but not at the side where it meets the road?

Jonathan (always gloved)
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

None yet but -- it's early ! ( and the weather has been ridiculously wet and windy up till today which is nice but I've a load of stuff to do )
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Or better still ... try obeying the law.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Pete Owens wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 5:50pm
Or better still ... try obeying the law.

No keep doing what you're doing till we get a dedicated cycle path for every road.